Kurt Angle - Page 4 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 06:45 PM
Flyweight
 
MoopsiePuffs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 291
                     
angle wont do anything in the UFc he is nothing but a body building entertainer.

Favourite Fighter

Renato Sobral

Always appreciating the fine workings of Sakara, Almeida, Gonzaga
MoopsiePuffs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 07:23 PM
Super Heavyweight
 
jasvll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,104
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelewis2k6
he is nothing but a body building entertainer.
Sometimes, it seems like people put genuine effort into being wrong.

I'll let you guess what this is from:


--------------------------------------------------

For the general thread:
I found this article from 3 years ago. It's interesting because it simultaneously proves that he can't make it in MMA (injuries) and that he can't be stopped in MMA (psychotic determination).
Eight summers ago, Angle brought home wrestling gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rogan
That longing to return to the retarded past can only be born of some collective, subconscious, internal desire to try to turn back the clock on humanity and halt our obvious progression towards the inevitable zombie apocalypse of 2012.

Last edited by jasvll; 06-22-2007 at 07:27 PM.
jasvll is offline  
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 02:51 PM
True Grappler
 
IronMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City, New York
Posts: 6,222
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasvll
I found this article from 3 years ago. It's interesting because it simultaneously proves that he can't make it in MMA (injuries) and that he can't be stopped in MMA (psychotic determination).
Eight summers ago, Angle brought home wrestling gold
There are plenty of psychotically determined fighters who struggle in MMA, especially as they get older and they find it much harder to compete with the level of conditioning that the younger generations have reached.

Ken Shamrock is one of those guys. Anyone who has ever seen him train in the gym knows that the guy is f*cking crazy, but it didn't help against Tito.

Monson is another guy who's incredibly determined, but struggles because he doesn't have striking skills and his build makes it really difficult to pull of certain submissions. You try pulling off a trianly choke with tiny ass legs. It's really hard.

Also, Angle won gold a long time ago. What he does now doesn't necessarily apply. He certainly has determination, but you also have to have the skill set, and I don't think he has that.

As for his injuries, further proof that there are parts of aging that make it difficult to compete at his age. It does haunt older fighters, but if you're a freak like Randy Couture, you manage to keep competing at that level anyway. I don't think Angle is on the same level as Couture.

Good find, though.



Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline  
post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 02:54 PM
Super Heavyweight
 
jasvll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,104
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
There are plenty of psychotically determined fighters who struggle in MMA, especially as they get older and they find it much harder to compete with the level of conditioning that the younger generations have reached.

Ken Shamrock is one of those guys. Anyone who has ever seen him train in the gym knows that the guy is f*cking crazy, but it didn't help against Tito.

Monson is another guy who's incredibly determined, but struggles because he doesn't have striking skills and his build makes it really difficult to pull of certain submissions. You try pulling off a trianly choke with tiny ass legs. It's really hard.

Also, Angle won gold a long time ago. What he does now doesn't necessarily apply. He certainly has determination, but you also have to have the skill set, and I don't think he has that.

As for his injuries, further proof that there are parts of aging that make it difficult to compete at his age. It does haunt older fighters, but if you're a freak like Randy Couture, you manage to keep competing at that level anyway. I don't think Angle is on the same level as Couture.

Good find, though.
I don't think you read my post closely enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rogan
That longing to return to the retarded past can only be born of some collective, subconscious, internal desire to try to turn back the clock on humanity and halt our obvious progression towards the inevitable zombie apocalypse of 2012.
jasvll is offline  
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 03:20 PM
True Grappler
 
IronMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City, New York
Posts: 6,222
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasvll
I don't think you read my post closely enough.
No. I read the post and the article. Even the determination that Angle once had and does have is not enough to be successful in MMA. Sometimes subdued fighters make it to the top based solely on having an incredible skill set and particular gifts that make them very, very difficult to bit.

You don't have to be driven to be great, unfortunately. And even if you are driven, if you don't train smart, you don't have much of a chance at being great.



Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline  
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 04:15 PM
Super Heavyweight
 
jasvll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,104
                     
You're still not getting my post. The content of the article shows both why Angle hypothetically will make it and hyothetically can't make it.


Saying Angle's determination isn't enough is no more meaningful than saying his injuries can't stop him. In the first case, his past proves otherwise. In the second, Angle himself acknowledges that his body is almost done.

The point of my post wasn't whether or not you or I personally think he'll make it. It was simply to point out that the road to Angle's past successes shows that he will do whatever it takes to be the best (the evidence suggests that this includes becoming a true MMArtist, if necessary), but his future success is limited by the breakdown of his body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rogan
That longing to return to the retarded past can only be born of some collective, subconscious, internal desire to try to turn back the clock on humanity and halt our obvious progression towards the inevitable zombie apocalypse of 2012.
jasvll is offline  
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 04:34 PM
Featherweight
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 1,066
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasvll
I don't buy that UFC isn't interested in Brock Lesnar. They're not stupid.
Oh I agree for sure Dana is interested. Dana is doing the smart thing though. No use paying Lesnar $500,000 per fight just to learn. Price is too high for a fighter with so many unknowns. If I was Dana I'd let him fight in the smaller organizations until he proves himself. Less risk and you can probably do better hyping him up when he finally does make his debut.
zarny is offline  
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 04:44 PM
Super Heavyweight
 
jasvll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,104
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarny
Oh I agree for sure Dana is interested. Dana is doing the smart thing though. No use paying Lesnar $500,000 per fight just to learn. Price is too high for a fighter with so many unknowns. If I was Dana I'd let him fight in the smaller organizations until he proves himself. Less risk and you can probably do better hyping him up when he finally does make his debut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rogan
That longing to return to the retarded past can only be born of some collective, subconscious, internal desire to try to turn back the clock on humanity and halt our obvious progression towards the inevitable zombie apocalypse of 2012.
jasvll is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome