21 times UFC showed they're entertainment
Found this Cage Potato article my friend sent me interesting:
1. Firing Jake Shields.
2. Firing Yushin Okami.
3. Firing Jon Fitch.
4. Not firing Dan Hardy (“I like guys who WAR“)
5. Giving Chael Sonnen a title shot coming off a loss.
6. Giving Nick Diaz a title shot coming off a loss.
7. Bringing a 1-0 Brock Lesnar into the UFC.
8. James Toney.
9. Signing Sean Gannon after he beat Kimbo Slice via exhaustion in an illegal bare-knuckle street fight.
10. Putting Kimbo Slice on a main card after he went 0-1 in the TUF House.
11. Allowing alcohol in the TUF house.
12. Telling Ben Askren to win some fights.
13. Basically refusing to sign Cris Cyborg forever.
14. Lying about all the fighter’s credentials and accomplishments for UFC 1.
15. Lying about all the fighter’s credentials and accomplishments in the modern day.
16. Instant rematches when the wrong guy wins.
17. Interviewing Hulk Hogan and the Undertaker whenever they show up at events.
18. The fact that you can buy Arianny t-shirts on the UFC website.
19. Every single time when they brought a potential opponent into the cage to square off with someone who just won their fight (this is our favorite example).
20. Bringing back Tank Abbott in the early 2000′s.
21. Dana White vs. Tito Ortiz.
I lol'd the most at #17 & #18.
Cyborg would be a plus for entertainment.
21 instances over a 15 year period. Hmmmm....
What about the 2371 times when the UFC has provided us with some fecking awesome fights? Which oddly enough are also entertainment. I know which carries more weight with me.
I tire of all this focus on the negatives.:thumbsdown:
The Werdum/Browne fight was one of the most entertaining fights I've ever seen. As long as fights like that keep haopening I don't care about that other crap.
This list is accurate, and the UFC is just in every move. Speaking specifically on the firings. Whether people want to acknowledge it or not... this isn't some underground tournament where secret invitations are sent out to the most accomplished fighters... getting Ws isn't the only thing that matters. You're in the public spot light, and if you're not crowd friendly or incredibly crowd unfriendly you're not going to last long or ever become a draw. Being neutral just doesn't work.
There's no doubt that the UFC sometimes goes heavy on the entertainment side of "sports entertainment". I mean they literally pay guys more and keeps guys on the roster longer if they are exciting, even if they don't win as much as a guy who is boring. Entertainment/entertaining the fans is a huge priority for the UFC, yes sometimes even more of a priority than the sports side of it.
However, I'm okay with it. I learned long ago that this is a sports entertainment business, so when they bring in WWE stars to fight with little to no experience whatsoever, I just shrug at this point.
We still get great fights.
Agree with OP's list 100% - and it's only a small/partial list. I'm OK with a bit of that kinda stuff, but it's too much/often for me to take this "sport" seriously any more.
Good start, but dedicate enough time and research to the topic and this would just be a scratch on the surface.
People advocating for entertainment over sports seem to miss the point that it is the actual sports that make the entertainment aspect viable to begin with. What happens between the bells is the entertainment that made MMA a demanded product.
Zero problem about that, let me emphasize.
Jokes aside, I don't consider being entertainment a negative aspect in UFC. Maybe a characteristic. After all we all got entertained by some crazy fights they made happen out of nowhere.
I loved Toney/Couture and I loved Brock coming and I still think there should be more purely entertaining super fights mixed together, even cross categories open weight challenges. Why not?
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:45 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 , Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.