Should holding your own shorts be illegal? - Page 5 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

View Poll Results: Should grabbing your own shorts be illegal?

Yes, it should be illegal just like grabbing your opponents shorts 36 56.25%
No, its fine. 28 43.75%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

Old 08-28-2007, 06:40 AM   #41 (permalink)
I eat babies
 
WouldLuv2FightU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Troy, Ohio
Posts: 7,648
Blog Entries: 3
WouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He Crosses
Let me ask you all something. If you were fighting someone and you found yourself on the receiving end of a submission, and you are not that experienced in submission grappling, and he is about to rip your arm off...would you not resort to grabbing your shorts? You can't expect every fighter to be 2nd degree black belts in Jiu jitsu. If you don't have the technique, or you are not in the position to use a lot of technique, or skill, or brute force, what would you do? Just give up and let him have it? I would hope not. You're in there to win the fight, if the guy can't sub you because you have a tight grip on your own shorts, then so be it. Try something else, or pound his face. Not that big of a deal.

And shorts are not a foreign object lol that's just silly. Are gloves a foreign object too? So they're allowed to hit their opponent with foreign objects!? Shorts are required to wear, just like gloves, therefore no they are not a foreign object. They don't fit the criteria.

But on that note why not make leg sleeves illegal? They are not required to wear them and they give wrestlers a good advantage, and wouldn't that fit into criteria of a 'foreign object'?
WouldLuv2FightU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 08-28-2007, 12:32 PM   #42 (permalink)
CoutureCop
 
Davisty69's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 6,092
Davisty69 Is Destined For GreatnessDavisty69 Is Destined For GreatnessDavisty69 Is Destined For GreatnessDavisty69 Is Destined For GreatnessDavisty69 Is Destined For GreatnessDavisty69 Is Destined For GreatnessDavisty69 Is Destined For GreatnessDavisty69 Is Destined For GreatnessDavisty69 Is Destined For GreatnessDavisty69 Is Destined For GreatnessDavisty69 Is Destined For Greatness
This is a stupid point... If I was in a fight and a guy was going to rip my arm off, I would punch him in the sack. I don't fight with these kinds of rules. However, if you want to make grabbing your shorts legal simply because that is what you would do in a streetfight, you might as well allow hair pulling and eye gouging.
__________________

Check out MMAforum.com's
Top 25 Fights to show a new MMA fan!!

http://www.mmaforum.com/ufc/69374-to...ml#post1079252
Davisty69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:58 PM   #43 (permalink)
Outta My Head
 
Onganju's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Paramount, CA
Posts: 1,220
Blog Entries: 11
Onganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level nowOnganju is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisty69
This is a stupid point... If I was in a fight and a guy was going to rip my arm off, I would punch him in the sack. I don't fight with these kinds of rules. However, if you want to make grabbing your shorts legal simply because that is what you would do in a streetfight, you might as well allow hair pulling and eye gouging.
MMA is not a streetfight. It's a sport.

Wow... That is going from one extreme end of the spectrum of logic to the other without any regard of anything in between. IF grabbing your own shorts is made completely illegal, are we going to create a situation for the refs where they have to deduct a point from fighters every time they touch their waistbands? I'd hate to lose a point because I take half a second to adjust my cup and grabbed my waistband to do so.

This should not be an issue to anyone whose spent time on the mat. That is the first counter to a kimura that people naturally fall to regardless if they're wearing a gi, or tight submission trunks. It's extremely easy to defeat if you simply secure a better position to finish the hold. Do we really want to insist on implementing superfluous rules because a popular fighter forgot his grappling basics? The inability to finish that hold is due to GSPs lapse in judgement, not in the fact that Koscheck used a novice counter to the hold.
__________________
It doesn't matter if you agree or disagree... As long as I don't bore you and I spark a moment of thought, my goal is achieved.

Queng leon queng tigre ecu tacacut, queca pa? - Pampangan Mandarigma Motto

My Blog <--READ IT!
Onganju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:08 PM   #44 (permalink)
Forum OG
 
Robb2140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 3,061
Robb2140 Is True Champion Of KnowledgeRobb2140 Is True Champion Of KnowledgeRobb2140 Is True Champion Of KnowledgeRobb2140 Is True Champion Of KnowledgeRobb2140 Is True Champion Of KnowledgeRobb2140 Is True Champion Of KnowledgeRobb2140 Is True Champion Of KnowledgeRobb2140 Is True Champion Of KnowledgeRobb2140 Is True Champion Of KnowledgeRobb2140 Is True Champion Of KnowledgeRobb2140 Is True Champion Of Knowledge
I garauntee, had it been the other way around and it was GSP holding his shorts to avoid a Kimura from Koscheck everybody would be praising GSP, saying what a crafty and resourcful fighter he is.
Robb2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:27 PM   #45 (permalink)
Amateur
 
sickcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 113
sickcat has a spectacular aura aboutsickcat has a spectacular aura aboutsickcat has a spectacular aura aboutsickcat has a spectacular aura aboutsickcat has a spectacular aura aboutsickcat has a spectacular aura aboutsickcat has a spectacular aura aboutsickcat has a spectacular aura aboutsickcat has a spectacular aura aboutsickcat has a spectacular aura aboutsickcat has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLuv2FightU
Let me ask you all something. If you were fighting someone and you found yourself on the receiving end of a submission, and you are not that experienced in submission grappling, and he is about to rip your arm off...would you not resort to grabbing your shorts? You can't expect every fighter to be 2nd degree black belts in Jiu jitsu. If you don't have the technique, or you are not in the position to use a lot of technique, or skill, or brute force, what would you do? Just give up and let him have it? I would hope not. You're in there to win the fight, if the guy can't sub you because you have a tight grip on your own shorts, then so be it. Try something else, or pound his face. Not that big of a deal.

And shorts are not a foreign object lol that's just silly. Are gloves a foreign object too? So they're allowed to hit their opponent with foreign objects!? Shorts are required to wear, just like gloves, therefore no they are not a foreign object. They don't fit the criteria.

But on that note why not make leg sleeves illegal? They are not required to wear them and they give wrestlers a good advantage, and wouldn't that fit into criteria of a 'foreign object'?
You have some of the worst reasoning ever. If you find yourself in that position YOU DID LOSE, the sub is just closure at that point.

the whole
Quote:
If you were fighting someone and you found yourself on the receiving end of a submission, and you are not that experienced in submission grappling, and he is about to rip your arm off...would you not resort to grabbing your shorts?
Outside of the ring you could bite , eye poke or whatever. Inside the ring you just got owned.
sickcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:15 PM   #46 (permalink)
CoutureCop
 
Davisty69's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 6,092
Davisty69 Is Destined For GreatnessDavisty69 Is Destined For GreatnessDavisty69 Is Destined For GreatnessDavisty69 Is Destined For GreatnessDavisty69 Is Destined For GreatnessDavisty69 Is Destined For GreatnessDavisty69 Is Destined For GreatnessDavisty69 Is Destined For GreatnessDavisty69 Is Destined For GreatnessDavisty69 Is Destined For GreatnessDavisty69 Is Destined For Greatness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onganju
MMA is not a streetfight. It's a sport.

Wow... That is going from one extreme end of the spectrum of logic to the other without any regard of anything in between. IF grabbing your own shorts is made completely illegal, are we going to create a situation for the refs where they have to deduct a point from fighters every time they touch their waistbands? I'd hate to lose a point because I take half a second to adjust my cup and grabbed my waistband to do so.

This should not be an issue to anyone whose spent time on the mat. That is the first counter to a kimura that people naturally fall to regardless if they're wearing a gi, or tight submission trunks. It's extremely easy to defeat if you simply secure a better position to finish the hold. Do we really want to insist on implementing superfluous rules because a popular fighter forgot his grappling basics? The inability to finish that hold is due to GSPs lapse in judgement, not in the fact that Koscheck used a novice counter to the hold.
I wasn't saying that it was a streetfight. I was calling everything the guy above me said stupid...I just forgot to quote it.
__________________

Check out MMAforum.com's
Top 25 Fights to show a new MMA fan!!

http://www.mmaforum.com/ufc/69374-to...ml#post1079252
Davisty69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:47 PM   #47 (permalink)
I eat babies
 
WouldLuv2FightU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Troy, Ohio
Posts: 7,648
Blog Entries: 3
WouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He Crosses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisty69
This is a stupid point... If I was in a fight and a guy was going to rip my arm off, I would punch him in the sack. I don't fight with these kinds of rules. However, if you want to make grabbing your shorts legal simply because that is what you would do in a streetfight, you might as well allow hair pulling and eye gouging.
No dude, I was talking about being in an MMA fight. Sorry for not being clear.
WouldLuv2FightU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:52 PM   #48 (permalink)
I eat babies
 
WouldLuv2FightU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Troy, Ohio
Posts: 7,648
Blog Entries: 3
WouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He Crosses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickcat
You have some of the worst reasoning ever. If you find yourself in that position YOU DID LOSE, the sub is just closure at that point.

the whole

Outside of the ring you could bite , eye poke or whatever. Inside the ring you just got owned.
You don't lose the fight just because you are in the position to get kimura-ed. You lose the fight because you get kimura-ed. So if I'm in the position to get knocked out (standing up) then I already lost the fight, and the KO is just closure at that point, right? What is wrong with you ******* people.

Robb is exactly right I was just about to say if it was GSP grabbing his shorts to escape Kos' kimura this thread wouldn't even exist.

So far all you've done is take my posts and moronically misinterpreted them, ALL OF YOU. Find a real counter-arguement. You can't tell a fighter he can't touch his shorts that's just ****in retarded who the hell is going to not grab their own shorts if someone is trying to rip their arm off.

This is either ridiculous Kos-hatred or the most absurd form of GSP nuthuggery I have ever witnessed. You can't tell a fighter that he can't touch his own shorts that's just stupid and how can it be enforced?! Seriously I can't believe so many people think this is a good rule. Bunch of geniuses in here lol.


I like how you all are ignoring my point about leg sleeves and that gloves are also the same as shorts yet you're allowed to grab your own gloves, hmmm I wonder why you're allowed to grab your own gloves. Could it possibly be because they are a part of your body when the fight starts?! Hmmm.....
WouldLuv2FightU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:40 PM   #49 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
jehu pitchfork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 332
jehu pitchfork has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by robb2140
I garauntee, had it been the other way around and it was GSP holding his shorts to avoid a Kimura from Koscheck everybody would be praising GSP, saying what a crafty and resourcful fighter he is.
there is most certainly a decent amount of truth in this, imo.
__________________
Favorite Fighters:

Fedor Emelianenko
Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua
Anotonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Dan Henderson
Andrei Arlovski
Wanderlei Silva
Luke Cummo
jehu pitchfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:41 PM   #50 (permalink)
Lightweight
Image Hosting by Picoodle.com
 
royalking87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,539
royalking87 will become famous soon enoughroyalking87 will become famous soon enoughroyalking87 will become famous soon enoughroyalking87 will become famous soon enoughroyalking87 will become famous soon enoughroyalking87 will become famous soon enoughroyalking87 will become famous soon enoughroyalking87 will become famous soon enoughroyalking87 will become famous soon enoughroyalking87 will become famous soon enoughroyalking87 will become famous soon enough
id say no
royalking87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios