News on Fedor... - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Lightweight
 
PrideFan123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,553
               
Give the man some respect. He can kick anybodies ass.
PrideFan123 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 802
                     
The question has been asked, "why not just let him fight Sambo?"

According to the report "thats just not a door that Dana wants to open." If Dana does it for this fighter then he has to fight twice as hard in future negotiations with other fighters to prevent it form happening again.
PRIDE was an absolute mess when the UFC bought it. Part of the reason things were so messy is because this type of thing was allowed. It complicates and in some cases nullifies contracts. My view is that Dana wants to keep contracts more organized and clean, he wants to maintain control over his product; like him or hate him, its smart business.

It sucks if we don't get Fedor but I will get over it. The UFC is bigger than any single fighter and in the big sceme of things this will probably work out better for the UFC down the road when contract disputes do not happen.
Curly is offline  
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 05:22 PM
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 622
                     
In russia the president is involved with all the big names they have and they all respect him and his power. The president is involved in a lot of the football (soccer) and major sports stars, as well as being friends with some of them and the billionaire's who use their money to support their sport.

yeh dana is trying to offer more money thinking that it will compensate for fedor not doing sambo tournaments, but he doesn't realise that he has a huge following in russia and I think fedor would rather make the ufc unhappy than his own president lol
BazDaManUk is offline  
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 05:55 PM
Flyweight
 
UFCfan610's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 445
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNegation
Nope, Fedor fought the best people could throw at him and never lost. Noone else can say that. He doesn't need to fight Couture, Barnett or anyone else to prove he is the best, because they have not been able to do what he has done.
isn't Fedor like 25- 1?

Diego Sanchez = The Future
UFCfan610 is offline  
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 06:16 PM
Flyweight
 
Philivey2k8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 468
                     
Quote:
Nope, Fedor fought the best people could throw at him and never lost. Noone else can say that. He doesn't need to fight Couture, Barnett or anyone else to prove he is the best, because they have not been able to do what he has done.
Bull.

Like I said before, Fedor has everything to prove. He HAS to come to the UFC to prove that he's STILL the best. It's the Law of the Nature.

If you want to be the Alpha Male, you have to prove it by CONSTANTLY beating out the contenders who are vying for that position. You can't fight weak beta males (cans from weaker organizations) and still expect to be seen as the current Alpha.

Fighting beta males doesn't make you an alpha. Fighting contenders DOES. And fighting the best contenders in the PAST doesn't make you an alpha TODAY.

Is Fedor the best MMA fighter of all time? YES, but if he wants to be seen as number 1 today, he has to fight the best TODAY (that means no cans!).
Philivey2k8 is offline  
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 06:18 PM
Cry Havoc
 
IcemanCometh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Working in the City.
Posts: 2,912
                     
I have said this before and I will say it again. For MMA as a sport to move to the next level, you have to stop thinking of terms of organizations, much like pro wrestling; and let these fighters fight anywhere, do what they want. If they have your title fine, they fine guys with deals you put together but at the same time they can fight other champs too. Furthermore, I don't understand the Sambo thing, if its about injuries then I think Mr. White needs to sit down and watch a tape, they wear a lot of pads and the refs are probably better than some american refs at stoppages and point awarding. Also, what is the difference between ADCC and Sambo? There isn't one, so get over it Dana. I wonder if the offer doesn't say: Screw you we are going to K-1 but we want to work out a 1 fight a year deal with you supposed champ.-that would be sweet.
IcemanCometh is offline  
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 06:22 PM
Banned
 
TheNegation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,809
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philivey2k8
Bull.

Like I said before, Fedor has everything to prove. He HAS to come to the UFC to prove that he's STILL the best. It's the Law of the Nature.

If you want to be the Alpha Male, you have to prove it by CONSTANTLY beating out the contenders who are vying for that position. You can't fight weak beta males (cans from weaker organizations) and still expect to be seen as the current Alpha.

Fighting beta males doesn't make you an alpha. Fighting contenders DOES. And fighting the best contenders in the PAST doesn't make you an alpha TODAY.

Is Fedor the best MMA fighter of all time? YES, but if he wants to be seen as number 1 today, he has to fight the best TODAY (that means no cans!).
He will not always be considered the best 'today'. Noone will, people get older and quit(unless they are randy).
He is the greatest ever. And until someone matches him, he always will be. He has done more than anyone else.
And that alpha beta crap is annoying.
TheNegation is offline  
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 06:24 PM
Flyweight
 
Philivey2k8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 468
                     
He is the greatest ever for sure. But until he retires he has to put his belt on the line against the best, not cans. No one gets a free pass. Not even the king.
Philivey2k8 is offline  
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 06:45 PM
RIDIN' DIRTY
 
DCDIME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 284
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly
The question has been asked, "why not just let him fight Sambo?"

According to the report "thats just not a door that Dana wants to open." If Dana does it for this fighter then he has to fight twice as hard in future negotiations with other fighters to prevent it form happening again.
PRIDE was an absolute mess when the UFC bought it. Part of the reason things were so messy is because this type of thing was allowed. It complicates and in some cases nullifies contracts. My view is that Dana wants to keep contracts more organized and clean, he wants to maintain control over his product; like him or hate him, its smart business.

It sucks if we don't get Fedor but I will get over it. The UFC is bigger than any single fighter and in the big sceme of things this will probably work out better for the UFC down the road when contract disputes do not happen.
Good post.

I love how everyone jumps on the UFC/Dana White's back about the whole Sambo thing. I'm sure most of these posts are made by people who have never owned a business. As an investor, would you want your "super star" potentially injuring himself in an amature contest? Fighters get injured in training, so ANY combat sport outside of said profession is a gamble. What Fedor has to decide is:
1).Does he want to maintain his status as #1 HW?
2).Does national pride pay his bills long-term?
3).Can he find suitible challenges outside the UFC?

I love Fedor as much as the next guy, but you have be realistic. The UFC IS a business...it has to be run as such. If you think that the owners are going to cater to the whim of every internet fan and just throw the dice at a huge loss...you my friends are crazy. If Fedor does go to another orginization, I will still be a fan. MMA is bigger than Fedor, the UFC, or a few opinions

Fighters I enjoy watching:
Fedor
Quinton "Rampage" Jackson
Martin Kampman
Jake Shields
Thiago Tavares
Urijah Faber


Joe Rogan NutHugger...and proud of it
DCDIME is offline  
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 07:03 PM
Lightweight
 
BrutalKO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Melbourne, Florida
Posts: 1,999
                     
Fedor is holding all the chips...

...Fedor is the man...we all know it. The MMA world is dying to see him fight again. The Russian Experiment has a ton of bargaining power and every MMA organization is at his mercy. If he goes to the UFC...it would blow the MMA world's doors in!!! If he wants the most money & fame, he'll follow his fellow Pride comrades and sign with the UFC. At this point, the only challenge I see for Fedor in the UFC would be Randy Couture. No other HW comes close. Fedor is as Bas Rutten puts it "The complete package". A HW unification bout between those two would be simply incredible. Whatever happens...FEAR FEDOR!!
BrutalKO is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome