UFC HW title picture in disarray - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 09-11-2007, 11:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 8
daveyboy has a little shameless behaviour in the past
UFC HW title picture in disarray

The HW division has made many strides in the last year. But they currently still have one major problem. Right now there isnt a single HW fighter on the roster that the UFC can sell for a title match with Randy. If Fedor doesnt sign, i really dont know where they are going to turn for the next title shot. Lets go through the list of top HW's, in no particular order:


Mirko Cro Cop: just lost two consecutive matches and has a long way to go before ever seeing a title shot.

Gabriel Gonzaga: Just had his shot and lost to Randy, now must win a few matches to get back in the picture.

Tim Sylvia: lost his title to Randy and hasnt fought since. needs at least two impressive victorys to be considered for another shot.

Andrei Arlovski: Has looked unipressive in his last two matches, however both were wins. Dana dosnt think he deserves a title shot, plus he is currently in a contract dispute and may not even sign with the UFC. Probably the best choice for a title match due to his popularity among fans.

Fabricio Werdum: Just lost a boring match against Arlovski. So obviously no title matches in the near future. must work his way back up.

Cheick Kongo: Coming off a impressive victorys over Cro Cop and Assuerio Silva while being servicable on the ground. It doesnt help that he got owned on the ground and lost to Carmelo Marrero previously. what makes that loss worse it Marrero then goes and loses badly to Gonzaga and Wilson Gouveia. Probably needs another win but the UFC could sell him as the #1 contender if they wanted to.

Brandon Vera: Been out of action for over a year. Needs an impressive victory over Sylvia to even be considered. Only other notable victory is over Frank Mir(post leg injury). Perhaps he will be the future HW champion but he is not ready right now.

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira: Most MMA fans will say that hes the obvious choice. However it'll be a hard sell to the majority of UFC fans. To the UFC audience he's the guy that got knocked out by Heath Herring(who then allowed him to stand up instead of finishing him). His resume suggests he deserves a title shot but his last match suggests he needs an impressive win against a top tier UFC fighter before getting a title shot.


I might be missing someone but thats basically the top heavyweights currently in the UFC. Let's assume Fedor is not coming to the UFC. The UFC has said they want Randy to defend the title on Superbowl weekend. So who do you think will get the title shot?
daveyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 09-11-2007, 11:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
GMW
International Stalker
 
GMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,203
Blog Entries: 2
GMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He CrossesGMW Is Respected By All He Crosses
I wish it was more like baseball, where they don't need to "sell" it to the audience. Whoever earns the shot gets it, plain and simple.
__________________

Credit to ThaMuffinMan
GMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned
 
bbjd7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Montclair, NJ
Posts: 11,605
Blog Entries: 3
bbjd7 Is Beloved By Allbbjd7 Is Beloved By Allbbjd7 Is Beloved By Allbbjd7 Is Beloved By Allbbjd7 Is Beloved By Allbbjd7 Is Beloved By Allbbjd7 Is Beloved By Allbbjd7 Is Beloved By Allbbjd7 Is Beloved By Allbbjd7 Is Beloved By Allbbjd7 Is Beloved By All
Nogueira and Sylvia are defiantly at the front of the line and I disagree about Sylvia needing two wins to get a title shot I think if he beats Vera at 77 and no one else does anything impressive he more than deserves a shot the man defended the title twice. Lost a decision to Couture with a horrible back that needed surgery I don't see why he wouldn't deserve another shot.
bbjd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
attention whore
 
Damone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Branson, Missouri
Posts: 14,445
Blog Entries: 1
Damone Smells Like TunaDamone Smells Like TunaDamone Smells Like TunaDamone Smells Like TunaDamone Smells Like TunaDamone Smells Like TunaDamone Smells Like TunaDamone Smells Like TunaDamone Smells Like TunaDamone Smells Like TunaDamone Smells Like Tuna
Well, it'd sell because of Randy, so they can pretty much match him up with anybody. Have Randy talk about how great his opponent is, show highlights, and then have Rogan say stuff like "He has the best facial hair in all of MMA."

They could stick Nogueira, Kongo, Justin Eilers, Paul Varelans, Keith Hackney, Greg Stott, whoever, doesn't matter, the fight will sell because it's Randy Couture.
__________________
Damone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned
 
bbjd7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Montclair, NJ
Posts: 11,605
Blog Entries: 3
bbjd7 Is Beloved By Allbbjd7 Is Beloved By Allbbjd7 Is Beloved By Allbbjd7 Is Beloved By Allbbjd7 Is Beloved By Allbbjd7 Is Beloved By Allbbjd7 Is Beloved By Allbbjd7 Is Beloved By Allbbjd7 Is Beloved By Allbbjd7 Is Beloved By Allbbjd7 Is Beloved By All
Hey Damone You know what would really sell Randy Couture vs GIANT SILVA the true Pride Champion. Fedor can't hold Silva jock strap.

Silva vs Couture the for the true HW champion of World.

Last edited by bbjd7 : 09-11-2007 at 11:31 PM.
bbjd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lightweight
 
DropKick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,579
DropKick is a splendid one to beholdDropKick is a splendid one to beholdDropKick is a splendid one to beholdDropKick is a splendid one to beholdDropKick is a splendid one to beholdDropKick is a splendid one to beholdDropKick is a splendid one to beholdDropKick is a splendid one to beholdDropKick is a splendid one to beholdDropKick is a splendid one to beholdDropKick is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damone
Well, it'd sell because of Randy, so they can pretty much match him up with anybody. Have Randy talk about how great his opponent is, show highlights, and then have Rogan say stuff like "He has the best facial hair in all of MMA."

They could stick Nogueira, Kongo, Justin Eilers, Paul Varelans, Keith Hackney, Greg Stott, whoever, doesn't matter, the fight will sell because it's Randy Couture.
True. Maybe a Keith Hackney Vs. Paul Varelans #1 contender match? I know I'd be watching that. Sweat pants vs. sweat pants.

IMO, either Nog or Sylvia. If Sylvia beats Vera I think he'd deserve it the most.

They could also sell Kongo Vs. AA for a number 1 contender spot.
DropKick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
AnMMAFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 339
AnMMAFan Needs A HugAnMMAFan Needs A HugAnMMAFan Needs A Hug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damone
Well, it'd sell because of Randy, so they can pretty much match him up with anybody. Have Randy talk about how great his opponent is, show highlights, and then have Rogan say stuff like "He has the best facial hair in all of MMA."

They could stick Nogueira, Kongo, Justin Eilers, Paul Varelans, Keith Hackney, Greg Stott, whoever, doesn't matter, the fight will sell because it's Randy Couture.
Wow Keith Hackney, there's a name I haven't heard in awhile. I think I remember him wailing on a 600 lb sumo wrestler with about 500 punches, won the fight and broke his hand and was unable to continue in the multi-fight elimination tourney. Those were the days...
__________________
"The fight only stops when Big John says so." - Anderson Silva
AnMMAFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lightweight
 
DropKick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,579
DropKick is a splendid one to beholdDropKick is a splendid one to beholdDropKick is a splendid one to beholdDropKick is a splendid one to beholdDropKick is a splendid one to beholdDropKick is a splendid one to beholdDropKick is a splendid one to beholdDropKick is a splendid one to beholdDropKick is a splendid one to beholdDropKick is a splendid one to beholdDropKick is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnMMAFan
Wow Keith Hackney, there's a name I haven't heard in awhile. I think I remember him wailing on a 600 lb sumo wrestler with about 500 punches, won the fight and broke his hand and was unable to continue in the multi-fight elimination tourney. Those were the days...
Keith Hackney loved punching dudes in the nuts. He must have trained Kongo for the CC fight.
DropKick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
AnMMAFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 339
AnMMAFan Needs A HugAnMMAFan Needs A HugAnMMAFan Needs A Hug
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropKick
Keith Hackney loved punching dudes in the nuts. He must have trained Kongo for the CC fight.
That is probably true
__________________
"The fight only stops when Big John says so." - Anderson Silva
AnMMAFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Photobucket
 
N1™'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangbus
Posts: 4,568
N1™ Is Future HOF MaterialN1™ Is Future HOF MaterialN1™ Is Future HOF MaterialN1™ Is Future HOF MaterialN1™ Is Future HOF MaterialN1™ Is Future HOF MaterialN1™ Is Future HOF MaterialN1™ Is Future HOF MaterialN1™ Is Future HOF MaterialN1™ Is Future HOF MaterialN1™ Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyboy
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira: Most MMA fans will say that hes the obvious choice. However it'll be a hard sell to the majority of UFC fans.
if he deserves a title shot then he should get it. i think if the ufc started to pick contenders based on how well KNOWN they are and not on their mma performances then i think its down hill from here. although i havent seen it happen yet.
__________________

N1™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios