Are LW outside the UFC that much better? - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 12:03 AM
Banned
 
bbjd7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Montclair, NJ
Posts: 11,605
Blog Entries: 3
                     
Sherk is only 2-0 at LW and has only beat Kenny Florian (who is decent) and, Hermes Franca (who is a little above Florian). BJ has done nothing in the LW divison in 3 years beside beat Pulver. Gomi while he doesn't impress me has by far the most impressive record of all the LW's. Stevenson has done some decent stuff but nothing top 5 worthy. Sakurai is great but is probably moving up to 170, Yammamoto said yesterday he doesn't ever plan on moving back to 155, Diaz is a 160-170 fighter and while he beat Gomi Diaz is top 10 and nothing more he is so hit or miss in his fights. If you want to argue with Gomi's top 10 status at least bring up Calvancanti and Ribeiro since an arguement can be made they are both better fighters. Current Talent wise (not potential) I would put Penn, Sherk, Calvancanti, and Ribeiro ahead of Gomi. But by accomplishments Gomi is #1.
bbjd7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 12:06 AM
attention whore
 
Damone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Branson, Missouri
Posts: 14,445
Blog Entries: 1
                     
What has BJ done at LW besides beat a 145'er in Jens Pulver? We're talking about accomplishments from 06-on, and BJ hasn't done a single thing to deserve top billing at LW.

Sherk has defeated Kenny Florian & Hermes Franca (A fight where both ended up testing positive for roids). Gomi lost once to Aurelio, avenged that, and then went on to stomp Ishida. Hell, even if we count 05, he beat Kawajiri, Azeredo, & Sakurai. BJ wasn't even in the LW division back then.

The Diaz vs Gomi fight doesn't count, since it's a NC.

Melendez could be a case for top 3, since he did beat Guida & Kawajiri (Though most thought Kawajiri won).

So yeah, Gomi being number 1 is fine by me.

Damone is offline  
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 12:10 AM
Banned
 
bbjd7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Montclair, NJ
Posts: 11,605
Blog Entries: 3
                     
Wow I forgot about Melendez he defiantly can make a case for top 5 and is in my mind more talented than Gomi.
bbjd7 is offline  
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 12:15 AM
Das Übermensch
 
wukkadb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 7,633
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damone
What has BJ done at LW besides beat a 145'er in Jens Pulver? We're talking about accomplishments from 06-on, and BJ hasn't done a single thing to deserve top billing at LW.

Sherk has defeated Kenny Florian & Hermes Franca (A fight where both ended up testing positive for roids). Gomi lost once to Aurelio, avenged that, and then went on to stomp Ishida. Hell, even if we count 05, he beat Kawajiri, Azeredo, & Sakurai. BJ wasn't even in the LW division back then.

The Diaz vs Gomi fight doesn't count, since it's a NC.

Melendez could be a case for top 3, since he did beat Guida & Kawajiri (Though most thought Kawajiri won).

So yeah, Gomi being number 1 is fine by me.
Quoted for Emphasis.




What a stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by swpthleg View Post
The power of Aleks, his small baby and pimp hardcore dogs has granted you useful insight, my friend.
wukkadb is offline  
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 12:22 AM
Middleweight
 
Flak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,757
                     
"The Diaz vs Gomi fight doesn't count, since it's a NC."

Are you for real here? Cmon man, Diaz beat him fair and square pot or not. I know it's not officially a loss...but any reasonable fan has to count it as one.

As far as BJ goes, granted he hasn't been very active recently, but he does hold a win over Gomi just before Gomi's run, and even in his losses he looks impressive, while even in his wins i think Gomi isn't nearly as impressive as people think. I think he's wild, combined with his power makes him dangerous....but thats not enough to wow me.

Aside from that, i think Pride guys fight so often that the champs aren't always fighting top of the food chain guys.

Demian Maia may be the Fred Astaire of jiu-jitsu, but it’s too bad Silva is the Gene Kelly of kicking everyone’s ass.
Flak is offline  
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 12:29 AM
attention whore
 
Damone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Branson, Missouri
Posts: 14,445
Blog Entries: 1
                     
Quote:
Are you for real here? Cmon man, Diaz beat him fair and square pot or not.
But, in reality, it's a NC, so technically, it doesn't count and shouldn't count. Diaz getting busted was his own fault.

Quote:
As far as BJ goes, granted he hasn't been very active recently, but he does hold a win over Gomi just before Gomi's run, and even in his losses he looks impressive, while even in his wins i think Gomi isn't nearly as impressive as people think. I think he's wild, combined with his power makes him dangerous....but thats not enough to wow me.
I can't count a fight that happened 4 years ago, though. Sure, BJ beat Gomi's ass, but Gomi went on a nice tear afterwards. BJ hasn't been fighting at LW, though. His fights with Hughes & GSP were at WW. He fought Machida at...whatever wonky weight that was, and he beat Renzo & Rodrigo at MW. These have nothing to do with LW.

Just curious, Flak, have you watched Bushido 9 yet? Because, Gomi looked really good on that show, brutally whomping Kawajiri. I recommend it. Gomi has his off day's, definitely, but when he's "On," he's dangerous.

Quote:
Aside from that, i think Pride guys fight so often that the champs aren't always fighting top of the food chain guys.
I do agree with this. Pride's matchmaking, for the most part, sucked, and they did protect Gomi, though his win against Ishida was impressive.

Damone is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome