sirdilznik's Lightweight top 10 9/22/07
This weight-class has become so stacked lately I thought I may try my hand at rating the fighters. These types of threads pop-up from time to time and I thought with recent events it was time for a new listing. I maybe should have put this in the general forum, but I know I'll get more hits in this sub-forum. If the mods feel the need to move this thread then by all means go ahead and I apologize.
1) BJ Penn - In my mind he beats every single other fighter at 155, without exception at least 6 out of 10 times.
2) Sean Sherk - Until his hearing he is still the UFC champ. Just so ridiculously big and strong for this weight class that it's not even fair. Add to that superb wrestling skills and awesome conditioning. The guy is one helluva handful.
3) Takanori Gomi - Sure he got beat by Nick Diaz in his last fight (no shame in losing to Diaz), but I believe that The Fireball Kid will come back better than ever. We all know what he can do when he's "on". I'd hate to be his next opponent.
4) Gesias Calvancanti - HEROs Grand Prix champion 2 years running. He is on an 8 fight winning streak and a 13 fight unbeaten streak. JZ is now a perfect 7 - 0 in HEROs and their 155 division is nothing to sneeze at. Big, strong, skilled, well-rounded, aggressive, confident, JZ has it all.
5) Joe Stevenson - Often overlooked as a top tier guy, all he does is continue to beat mid-top level guys. It's time he was put in a match against an elite-level opponent.
6) Gilbert Melendez - All the potential in the world and he's super exciting to boot! I don't think El Nino is ready for the top dogs just yet, but he is easily at the upper extreme of the mid-carders and will be a top 3 guy someday soon. I'm almost positive on this.
7) Rob McCullough - You don't want to stand with this guy. Either get the fight to the ground quickly or nighty night. Rob is on a 9 fight winning streak and has faced decent competition of late.
8) Joachim Hansen - One of the most exciting fighters anywhere. Just try to find a boring fight with Hellboy, I dare you. Oh and he's skilled to boot.
9) Vitor Ribeiro - Many considered him borderline top 5 before he got dismantled by JZ calvancanti. Still losing to JZ is no shame and Vitor still has amazing ground skills.
10) Mitsuhiro Ishida - Yeah he got brutally KOd by Gomi, but that can happen to anyone. Ishida has some seriously sick wrestling skills.
Hyato Sakurai - Don't think he can make 155
Shinya Aoki - Don't know if he can make 155
Norifumi Yamamoto - Fights at 155 often enough, but really belongs at 145
Self-proclaimed leader of the Bao Quach bandwagon
On the Handsome bandwagon
It's Hellga time!