UFC Quick Quote: Diego Sanchez on move to lightweight - Page 5 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 09-23-2007, 07:04 PM   #41 (permalink)
SugaRUSH!
 
brownpimp88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Surrey, Canada
Posts: 3,807
Blog Entries: 1
brownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sidedlie
Your a ***** because your making the right decision for your career?

If Hendo moves down to MW, you better be the first to bash him then.
I have given my views about this in countless other threads before. I never said he was a bitch, I said it was a puss decision.

What I meant by that was that it was an easy way out. There is no way to suger coat it; it is the easy way out. Just like Sherk to 155 was an easy way out. If you are cutting 30 pounds just so you can fight lighter opponents, you are taking the easy way out.

Hendo going down to MW will be completely different. For one thing, Hendo is like 4'2 and he has been fighting Heavyweights and Lightheavyweights his whole career. Oh, and he weighed in at like 199 or something for the Jackson fight, so yeah.
__________________
Support Mixed Martial Arts, not Ultimate Fighting

brownpimp88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 09-23-2007, 07:14 PM   #42 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5
EvilPrime has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Lots of good points in this thread except for the "puss" comment... I think we can all agree if Diego is staying in the current weight class he is in, he needs to bulk up. He got overpowered in this match plain and simple. He needs more raw strength with his type of fighting style.

But if he drops down in weight class I can also see him doing pretty good in the lightweights. I think it would be far from hilarious.... The guy has skill and heart, he took this defeat and accepted the fact he got beat by a better man.
EvilPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:18 PM   #43 (permalink)
SugaRUSH!
 
brownpimp88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Surrey, Canada
Posts: 3,807
Blog Entries: 1
brownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPrime
Lots of good points in this thread except for the "puss" comment... I think we can all agree if Diego is staying in the current weight class he is in, he needs to bulk up. He got overpowered in this match plain and simple. He needs more raw strength with his type of fighting style.

But if he drops down in weight class I can also see him doing pretty good in the lightweights. I think it would be far from hilarious.... The guy has skill and heart, he took this defeat and accepted the fact he got beat by a better man.
Bulk up then. Don't go run to 155.
__________________
Support Mixed Martial Arts, not Ultimate Fighting

brownpimp88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:44 PM   #44 (permalink)
Featherweight
 
Brydon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: High Wycombe, England
Posts: 1,384
Brydon is on another level nowBrydon is on another level nowBrydon is on another level nowBrydon is on another level nowBrydon is on another level nowBrydon is on another level nowBrydon is on another level nowBrydon is on another level nowBrydon is on another level nowBrydon is on another level nowBrydon is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownpimp88
Bulk up then. Don't go run to 155.
I seriosly disagree with you here. If you cut 30 lbs from 170 then you are anything but a puss.

Do you have any idea how hellish that would be and then have to fight the next day. Thats a huge % of the overall body weight.

If it stays within the rules then IMO anything goes, if you can cut the weight then by all means do it.

Any intelligent fighter will want to have the size / strength advantage over there opponent, same as they would want to have a wrestling or striking advantage, its just another aspect of the game.

MMA is one of those sports where size and physical condition is extremly important, if you dont accept that then you will lose.

Its only natural to want to perform at your best and represent yourself, if you can perform at your best and compete at the top level in a weightclass higher than your natural one then fair play (e.g. BJ Penn). But if your losing to people who arent even top contenders then to be the best and achieve the best you can then you have to drop down.

I have alot of respect for fighters that move up in weightclass but that doesnt mean i lose respect for those who drop down.

Just look at Shaun Sherk, at welterweight he was a relative nobody, at LW he's the champ (steroid abuse excluded). Also Rich Franklin would never have won the title fighting at LHW but he was dominant at 185.

I personally think diego should powerlift and bulk up 7 lbs or so as i dont think he cuts much weight at all to make it to 170 and that would make him alot tougher for guys like Fitch to handle.

As for him fighting at middleweight i think thats a bit silly considering he's small for a WW and is not particularly strong in that division. I mean can you imagine Diego fighting Franklin, he would get destroyed.
Brydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:52 PM   #45 (permalink)
SugaRUSH!
 
brownpimp88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Surrey, Canada
Posts: 3,807
Blog Entries: 1
brownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brydon
I seriosly disagree with you here. If you cut 30 lbs from 170 then you are anything but a puss.

Do you have any idea how hellish that would be and then have to fight the next day. Thats a huge % of the overall body weight.

If it stays within the rules then IMO anything goes, if you can cut the weight then by all means do it.

Any intelligent fighter will want to have the size / strength advantage over there opponent, same as they would want to have a wrestling or striking advantage, its just another aspect of the game.

MMA is one of those sports where size and physical condition is extremly important, if you dont accept that then you will lose.

Its only natural to want to perform at your best and represent yourself, if you can perform at your best and compete at the top level in a weightclass higher than your natural one then fair play (e.g. BJ Penn). But if your losing to people who arent even top contenders then to be the best and achieve the best you can then you have to drop down.

I have alot of respect for fighters that move up in weightclass but that doesnt mean i lose respect for those who drop down.

Just look at Shaun Sherk, at welterweight he was a relative nobody, at LW he's the champ (steroid abuse excluded). Also Rich Franklin would never have won the title fighting at LHW but he was dominant at 185.

I personally think diego should powerlift and bulk up 7 lbs or so as i dont think he cuts much weight at all to make it to 170 and that would make him alot tougher for guys like Fitch to handle.

As for him fighting at middleweight i think thats a bit silly considering he's small for a WW and is not particularly strong in that division. I mean can you imagine Diego fighting Franklin, he would get destroyed.
When did I ever say he should go to Middleweight?

Honestly, you guys would never be suggesting this if he hadn't lost. So now he should cut because he can't hang with the best in the division?

Diego is well suited for 170. He is a perfect 170 frame. Anybody that has been here over a month knows I ALWAYS dispute after EVERY PPV when someone losses and then all the fans on the net think it is just because he is outsized and now he should run down to the next weight class.

It happened with Babalu. It happened with Swick. Heck, it even happened with Tito.

And every time, I have said the same thing. It would be a puss decision. Did I say it wouldn't be a smart decision? No. I said it would be an easy way out.
__________________
Support Mixed Martial Arts, not Ultimate Fighting

brownpimp88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:53 PM   #46 (permalink)
Go Leafs Go!
 
Vexxed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Posts: 266
Vexxed is on a distinguished roadVexxed is on a distinguished roadVexxed is on a distinguished roadVexxed is on a distinguished roadVexxed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownpimp88
Because the only reason he is moving down is because he has lost twice at Welterweight. Not because of size(well maybe a bit in the Fitch fight) but because he got beaten. Sanchez is a perfect WW, and cutting to LW is just like Swick cutting to 170 etc.
Didn't BJ Penn decide to stay at LW because of a few losses in WW? Didn't Couture go to HW after losing twice to Chuck?

If he feels he's a better fighter at 155 than 170 then he should drop. Its all about finding your niche and winning a belt
__________________

Vexxed' Minions

Lyoto Machida
Sean Sherk
Nate Quarry
Nate Diaz
Jonathon Goulet
Vexxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:56 PM   #47 (permalink)
Go Leafs Go!
 
Vexxed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Posts: 266
Vexxed is on a distinguished roadVexxed is on a distinguished roadVexxed is on a distinguished roadVexxed is on a distinguished roadVexxed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownpimp88
When did I ever say he should go to Middleweight?

Honestly, you guys would never be suggesting this if he hadn't lost. So now he should cut because he can't hang with the best in the division?

Diego is well suited for 170. He is a perfect 170 frame. Anybody that has been here over a month knows I ALWAYS dispute after EVERY PPV when someone losses and then all the fans on the net think it is just because he is outsized and now he should run down to the next weight class.

It happened with Babalu. It happened with Swick. Heck, it even happened with Tito.

And every time, I have said the same thing. It would be a puss decision. Did I say it wouldn't be a smart decision? No. I said it would be an easy way out.
Ok, I can agree with that
__________________

Vexxed' Minions

Lyoto Machida
Sean Sherk
Nate Quarry
Nate Diaz
Jonathon Goulet
Vexxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:01 PM   #48 (permalink)
SugaRUSH!
 
brownpimp88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Surrey, Canada
Posts: 3,807
Blog Entries: 1
brownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level nowbrownpimp88 is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxed
Didn't BJ Penn decide to stay at LW because of a few losses in WW? Didn't Couture go to HW after losing twice to Chuck?

If he feels he's a better fighter at 155 than 170 then he should drop. Its all about finding your niche and winning a belt
Using BJ Penn and Randy Couture as examples are just contradictory to your whole case and logic.
__________________
Support Mixed Martial Arts, not Ultimate Fighting

brownpimp88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:42 PM   #49 (permalink)
Banned
 
screenamesuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,466
Blog Entries: 2
screenamesuck Is Respected By All He Crossesscreenamesuck Is Respected By All He Crossesscreenamesuck Is Respected By All He Crossesscreenamesuck Is Respected By All He Crossesscreenamesuck Is Respected By All He Crossesscreenamesuck Is Respected By All He Crossesscreenamesuck Is Respected By All He Crossesscreenamesuck Is Respected By All He Crossesscreenamesuck Is Respected By All He Crossesscreenamesuck Is Respected By All He Crossesscreenamesuck Is Respected By All He Crosses
I thought the whole point of Diego talking about going down in weight was because he thinks he is to small for the WW's, so why all this talk about him going up to 185??? I couldn't care less what weight class anyone wants to be in as long as the put up a great fight in whatever division they are in. I thought LW was Diego's natural weight division instead of WW anyways. What does he walk around at. I remember him saying he wanted to go down in weight to compete in the Pride LW Grand Prix and everyone was all excited about it. Wouldn't that be the same thing since he would still be fighting people smaller than him. Even Hughes wanted to compete in it.

I think going down like two weight classes would be cause for concern, not one. It's only like 20 pounds. Now if Rich Franklin decided to go down to LW then that would be a problem lol

Last edited by screenamesuck : 09-23-2007 at 08:44 PM.
screenamesuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:03 PM   #50 (permalink)
Banned
 
screenamesuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,466
Blog Entries: 2
screenamesuck Is Respected By All He Crossesscreenamesuck Is Respected By All He Crossesscreenamesuck Is Respected By All He Crossesscreenamesuck Is Respected By All He Crossesscreenamesuck Is Respected By All He Crossesscreenamesuck Is Respected By All He Crossesscreenamesuck Is Respected By All He Crossesscreenamesuck Is Respected By All He Crossesscreenamesuck Is Respected By All He Crossesscreenamesuck Is Respected By All He Crossesscreenamesuck Is Respected By All He Crosses
Diego= 5' 10

Fitch= 6'
Rush= 5' 10
KOS= 5' 10
Hughes= 5' 9
Karo= 5' 10

BJ= 5' 9
Stevenson= 5' 7
Florian= 5' 10
Huerta= 5' 9
Gomi= 5' 8

All of these people are about the same height so why does it matter what weight class any of them fight in since they are all going to weigh the same come fight time. Corey Hill should be in MW if we are going by size.
screenamesuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios