Originally Posted by Rated
Anyone else sort of pondering what is going to happen to the welterweight division? I know a lot of people were wondering why the hell is this season of The Ultimate Fighters are welterweights when the UFC needs to beef up their middleweight division. I also thought the same, but now I can kind of see their logic.
1) Matt Hughes has already stated that he only has 2-3 fights left in him. Even if he pulls a Randy Couture later on, this is a big loss to the division.
2) Matt Serra, being the current welterweight champion, is on unsteady grounds. I am still skeptic about how much Serra has improved since the show. Aside from his TKO victory over GSP, his record in the UFC has not been very impressive.
3) Diego Sanchez is debating whether he should drop to lightweight after his recent loss to Jon Fitch. And who knows whether BJ will come up weight again or not.
4) The whereabouts of veteran fighters such as Drew Fickett and Chris Lytle are a mystery to me. As of far, we have no news of when they will make their return.
So basically, the pool of top contenders may be greatly diminished. What makes it worse is that 3 of the potential top contenders are in the same frigging camp! All three of these fighters (Koscheck, Fitch, and Swick) have openly stated that they do no wish to fight each other. So if either one of these fighters become champion, the pool of contender further diminishes (unless Dana makes them fight each other).
1. It is a big loss to the division. They are losing the greatest champion the UFC has ever seen and one of the greatest fighters in MMA. But, they will recover, since they have a deep talent pool.
2. Serra has been really annoying lately, and I don't see him beating Hughes. I mean, Serra's a good fighter, but I really hope Hughes sends him back to where he belongs, which is the middle ground.
3. I think Diego should stay, but whatever, I don't care, he's a good fighter and will be a nice addition to the LW division. BJ's BJ, the guy moves up & down in weight all the time. Who knows what's going to happen.
4. Fickett & Lytle come & go. I understand that Lytle's pretty much a guy who is incredibly tough and will be a challenge for anyone, but Fickett's fairly young and is coming off a nice win against K-Taro. Fickett is a pretty odd guy.
The WW division still has KARO! Fitch, GSP, Alves, Hironaka, Chonan, Gono, Davis, Cummo (Who is seriously underrated), Petz, Burkman, Koscheck, Swick, & whoever else I'm forgetting.