UFC Quick Quotes: Dana White likes Roger Huerta, Bill Goldberg not so much - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 09:53 AM
Super Heavyweight
 
jasvll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,104
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool
Not to be too far off topic but theUFC was purchased by the Zuffata team for what, 2 million? Think of their current fiscal numbers, there is no way that a corporate machine like that would have failed to rejuvinate Pride in some way.
Um, you realized that UFC was dead in the water when they purchased it, right? Purchasing it for $2 million (if that's the case), says nothing about how much it cost to turn UFC into a revenue generating enterprise.

Besides, whether or not they could have saved Pride has little to do with whether or not Pride, in its state at the time of purchase, was worth saving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rogan
That longing to return to the retarded past can only be born of some collective, subconscious, internal desire to try to turn back the clock on humanity and halt our obvious progression towards the inevitable zombie apocalypse of 2012.
jasvll is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 01:03 PM
Flyweight
 
Deadpool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kent, Ohio
Posts: 402
       
That's my point. The UFC was dead in the water at the time of purchase. The organization was revamped and marketed wonderfully. Consider the amount of exposure Pride had in the market it was in, I find it laughable that a group of investors that were so successful with the dead UFC could have done nothing to curtail the fall of that organization.

I think the fact of the matter is that it was easier to absorb the talent from Pride. As exciting as that is for us now, I think history will view it as a mistake.

"We are all one." - Genki Sudo
Deadpool is offline  
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 01:40 PM
Super Heavyweight
 
jasvll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,104
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool
That's my point. The UFC was dead in the water at the time of purchase. The organization was revamped and marketed wonderfully. Consider the amount of exposure Pride had in the market it was in, I find it laughable that a group of investors that were so successful with the dead UFC could have done nothing to curtail the fall of that organization.
The UFC was dead in the water due to external forces. Pride was dead in the water due to internal and external forces and had an entirely different market. Totally different ballgame.

Quote:
I think the fact of the matter is that it was easier to absorb the talent from Pride. As exciting as that is for us now, I think history will view it as a mistake.
It would have been easier to let Dreamstage contracts die and pick and choose rather than to dump $70 million on a dead company and inherit contracts ranging from unenforceable to unwanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rogan
That longing to return to the retarded past can only be born of some collective, subconscious, internal desire to try to turn back the clock on humanity and halt our obvious progression towards the inevitable zombie apocalypse of 2012.

Last edited by jasvll; 10-11-2007 at 01:43 PM.
jasvll is offline  
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Flyweight
 
Deadpool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kent, Ohio
Posts: 402
       
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasvll
The UFC was dead in the water due to external forces. Pride was dead in the water due to internal and external forces and had an entirely different market. Totally different ballgame.

It would have been easier to let Dreamstage contracts die and pick and choose rather than to dump $70 million on a dead company and inherit contracts ranging from unenforceable to unwanted.
Definitely an easier route. Remove the competition (regardless of the state it was in, there are plenty of loyal pride fans) and bring in a ton of revenue to eventually balance your purchase.

So you're claiming that it would have been impossible to rebuild the infrastructure of Pride despite the fan base and solid amount of talent left in the organization? I hate to go back to wrestling terms but recall how the WCW (although failing) was more or less assimilated into the WWF. The loss of competition wasn't exactly the best thing for the sport, although it has recovered very well. The WCW and WWF provided two different types of entertainment in their genre. That was a very good thing.

Pride as an organization aside, the regulations of the Pride fights provided a completely unique game that may be in danger in the future because of Zuffa's unwillingness to preserve it.

"We are all one." - Genki Sudo
Deadpool is offline  
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 03:16 PM
Super Heavyweight
 
jasvll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,104
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool
Definitely an easier route. Remove the competition (regardless of the state it was in, there are plenty of loyal pride fans) and bring in a ton of revenue to eventually balance your purchase.
We already discussed the barriers to turning Pride profitable again.

Quote:
So you're claiming that it would have been impossible to rebuild the infrastructure of Pride despite the fan base and solid amount of talent left in the organization?
No, I said it probably wasn't the best business decision. If it was, that's what would have happened, judging by Zuffa's successful track record.

Quote:
I hate to go back to wrestling terms but recall how the WCW (although failing) was more or less assimilated into the WWF. The loss of competition wasn't exactly the best thing for the sport, although it has recovered very well. The WCW and WWF provided two different types of entertainment in their genre. That was a very good thing.
What's best for the sport may not be best for Zuffa. Besides, there wasn't much overlap in the UFC and Pride markets, unlike WWF and WCW.

Quote:
Pride as an organization aside, the regulations of the Pride fights provided a completely unique game that may be in danger in the future because of Zuffa's unwillingness to preserve it.
Um, okay, but I'm not sure what Pride's historical significance has to do with a discussion about Zuffa's fiscal responsibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rogan
That longing to return to the retarded past can only be born of some collective, subconscious, internal desire to try to turn back the clock on humanity and halt our obvious progression towards the inevitable zombie apocalypse of 2012.
jasvll is offline  
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Middleweight
 
hollando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 2,822
             
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedor>all
I hope Huerta kicks Guida's ass just to see everyone in this topic ticked off!
not me brother not me

cambridge eh im heading out there this weekend

folks wanan buy a new house out there

The most solid advice I can give to anyone who fights BJ Penn is...do not motivate the guy. Lets face it, BJ although talented, is naturally lazy. Your job is to NOT convince him to step on that treadmill.
hollando is offline  
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 577
     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool
I find it laughable that a group of investors that were so successful with the dead UFC could have done nothing to curtail the fall of that organization.
I don't think it's laughable. If I remember, the Fertitas and Dana had excellent connections in boxing and with the state athletic commissions. They would have been instrumental in getting UFC sanctioned in Nevada and then in so many other places. The importance of this is illustrated by the fact that they have been hiring people from NASC over the last few years. So they had connections, as well as money.

However, doing business in Japan is very difficult indeed without a Japanese partner. It is a totally different culture both in general and in business. Even the international companies there are essentially Japanese companies with foreign names on the papers. A bunch of American fight promoters and casino cannot turn up there and solve a complex problem like that. The fact that they were not able to secure a TV deal is totally unsurprising.

Zuffa probably also thought that it would be laughable that they couldn't do with PRIDE what they did with UFC. Good as they are, however, they are total noobs when it comes to doing business in Japan (like many posters on fight forums).

Favorite Pokemon:

HW: Charizard
LHW: Onyx
MW: Hitmonlee
WW: Gengar
LW: Psyduck
I.P.Freely is offline  
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 10:27 PM
MMA fighter
 
kamikaze145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: West Carrollton, Ohio
Posts: 2,575
Blog Entries: 7
                     
I know that the thread has gone in a different direction but I just wanted to throw in some Huerta support Should be a great fight
kamikaze145 is offline  
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 10:39 PM
Middleweight
 
hollando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 2,822
             
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze145
I know that the thread has gone in a different direction but I just wanted to throw in some Huerta support Should be a great fight
thanks for showing out brothaaaaa

rep

The most solid advice I can give to anyone who fights BJ Penn is...do not motivate the guy. Lets face it, BJ although talented, is naturally lazy. Your job is to NOT convince him to step on that treadmill.
hollando is offline  
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 10:42 PM
attention whore
 
Damone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Branson, Missouri
Posts: 14,445
Blog Entries: 1
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze145
I know that the thread has gone in a different direction but I just wanted to throw in some Huerta support Should be a great fight
Not you, kamikaze, not you!

Man, I can actually see Huerta winning a decision, because the judges hate Clay Guida for some reason. Dude must've pissed in their corn flakes or something.

Damone is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome