The business that is ZUFFA - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 10-17-2007, 03:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cry Havoc
 
IcemanCometh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Working in the City.
Posts: 2,912
IcemanCometh is on another level nowIcemanCometh is on another level nowIcemanCometh is on another level nowIcemanCometh is on another level nowIcemanCometh is on another level nowIcemanCometh is on another level nowIcemanCometh is on another level nowIcemanCometh is on another level nowIcemanCometh is on another level nowIcemanCometh is on another level nowIcemanCometh is on another level now
all I have to say is the report was filed Sept. 14 which was in the midst of Zuffa trying to run Pride FC in Japan having offices, working on a TV deal, etc. Since they have closed those offices I gotta wonder how they are doing now. While I think they should pay some fighters more others could surely be paid less. I think too often in a discussion of fighters pay the guys making $500,000 get overlooked in relation to the guys getting paid 45,000, IMO.
__________________
IcemanCometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 10-17-2007, 03:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
I'm the Decider
 
wafb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,239
Blog Entries: 1
wafb Is Beloved By Allwafb Is Beloved By Allwafb Is Beloved By Allwafb Is Beloved By Allwafb Is Beloved By Allwafb Is Beloved By Allwafb Is Beloved By Allwafb Is Beloved By Allwafb Is Beloved By Allwafb Is Beloved By Allwafb Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobilis
Uhm...how is that not included into labour costs?

Because it's actually the workers that pay for it through payroll deductions.
__________________


Pound4Pound, The Best There Is
wafb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Heavyweight
 
jasvll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,104
jasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanCometh
all I have to say is the report was filed Sept. 14 which was in the midst of Zuffa trying to run Pride FC in Japan having offices, working on a TV deal, etc. Since they have closed those offices I gotta wonder how they are doing now.
The timing of the increase in the amount of credit being pursued suggest that Zuffa went into Pride thinking it was going to be an instant source of revenue, rather than the exact opposite.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rogan
That longing to return to the retarded past can only be born of some collective, subconscious, internal desire to try to turn back the clock on humanity and halt our obvious progression towards the inevitable zombie apocalypse of 2012.
jasvll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 40
kegann has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Hmm who are the brothers, and why did they get 90% to dana's 10%? And considering we can only speculate how much money that actually was(because you know people are going to want money for themselves rather then pay debt off)... I would say it was a pretty hefty amount which I think is bullshit.
kegann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Heavyweight
 
jasvll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,104
jasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by kegann
Hmm who are the brothers, and why did they get 90% to dana's 10%?
The Fertitas financed the reborn UFC, completely. Dana White, managing UFC fighters Ortiz and Liddell at the time, found out that the dying UFC was going to be sold, and suggested the purchase to his longtime friends, Lorenzo and Frank Fertita. They purchased the company, bringing White in as president and 10% owner and proceeded to sink millions upon millions of their own money into a company whose product was illegal. Considering what they've done with the brand and product in 6 years, I'd say they're entitled to get some of their money back, wouldn't you?


Quote:
And considering we can only speculate how much money that actually was
(because you know people are going to want money for themselves rather then pay debt off)... I would say it was a pretty hefty amount which I think is bullshit.
In conclusion, you think the dividend they received, a product entirely of your imagination, is bullsh!t? Wow.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rogan
That longing to return to the retarded past can only be born of some collective, subconscious, internal desire to try to turn back the clock on humanity and halt our obvious progression towards the inevitable zombie apocalypse of 2012.
jasvll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 40
kegann has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasvll
The Fertitas financed the reborn UFC, completely. Dana White, managing UFC fighters Ortiz and Liddell at the time, found out that the dying UFC was going to be sold, and suggested the purchase to his longtime friends, Lorenzo and Frank Fertita. They purchased the company, bringing White in as president and 10% owner and proceeded to sink millions upon millions of their own money into a company whose product was illegal. Considering what they've done with the brand and product in 6 years, I'd say they're entitled to get some of their money back, wouldn't you?


In conclusion, you think the dividend they received, a product entirely of your imagination, is bullsh!t? Wow.
"Proceeds of the term loan were used to pay a one-time special dividend to Zuffa's owners, the Fertitta brothers (90 percent) and Dana White (10 percent), and to refinance the company's existing debt. The amount of debt Zuffa refinanced and the amount it paid out in dividends can only be speculated.

However, some comments in the S&P reports suggested that the dividend payments could be quite substantial. The company has full availability on its revolver, indicating that to this point Zuffa has funded operations out of its normal cash flow. Therefore the revolver currently represents little more than a rainy day fund. Meanwhile, as of June 30, 2007,Zuffa's total debt outstanding was $325 million."

And since when does getting a loan to refinance your company mean you get a portion for yourself? Sounds like all the idiot college students that take student loans out and get a 2000 check and go blow it.

Edit again, are you seriously trying to say they did not recieve their money back tenfold before they recieved their portion of the loan?

Last edited by kegann : 10-17-2007 at 04:24 PM.
kegann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Super Heavyweight
 
jasvll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,104
jasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by kegann
"Proceeds of the term loan were used to pay a one-time special dividend to Zuffa's owners, the Fertitta brothers (90 percent) and Dana White (10 percent), and to refinance the company's existing debt. The amount of debt Zuffa refinanced and the amount it paid out in dividends can only be speculated.

However, some comments in the S&P reports suggested that the dividend payments could be quite substantial. The company has full availability on its revolver, indicating that to this point Zuffa has funded operations out of its normal cash flow. Therefore the revolver currently represents little more than a rainy day fund. Meanwhile, as of June 30, 2007,Zuffa's total debt outstanding was $325 million."
Yes, we established that the amount was pure speculation. In fact, that's what prompted my response to your condemnation of the amount they received.

Quote:
And since when does getting a loan to refinance your company mean you get a portion for yourself? Sounds like all the idiot college students that take student loans out and get a 2000 check and go blow it.
If you're not familiar with standard business practices, it might be best not to judge them. Taking on debt is a source of capital for businesses, nothing more. What they do with it is literally, their business.

Quote:
Edit again, are you seriously trying to say they did not recieve their money back tenfold before they recieved their portion of the loan?
There you go making up numbers again. If you read the article again, you'll notice that it's highly unlikely they've seen anywhere near that kind of return on their investment. Besides, even if they had, it's their company, finance and grown completely internally. They have a right to as much as they see fit. There are no shareholders to answer to and the labor force has alternative employment options. Excessive greed would have negative financial consequences, which would defeat the purpose of their investment. In other words, they're minding their business.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rogan
That longing to return to the retarded past can only be born of some collective, subconscious, internal desire to try to turn back the clock on humanity and halt our obvious progression towards the inevitable zombie apocalypse of 2012.

Last edited by jasvll : 10-17-2007 at 04:34 PM.
jasvll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 40
kegann has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I have not said a single number, so how exactly am I making them up? And you are right, I don't know everything about a buisness, but I do know debt is debt. Regardless of how you spin it to sound, its money owed.

And don't qoute me on this since it was around 40min ago since I read the article. But did it not say they had a net or gross income(forget which ones means after all cost are taken out) of 76million before taxes. Where do you think that went...?
kegann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
Super Heavyweight
 
jasvll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,104
jasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by kegann
I have not said a single number, so how exactly am I making them up?
Silly me. I thought that in order to call the amount of dividend they received 'bulllsh!t,' you would have to at least speculated as to what that amount is. Now I know better.


Quote:
And you are right, I don't know everything about a buisness, but I do know debt is debt. Regardless of how you spin it to sound, its money owed.
And it will be paid back (barring severe adverse conditions, which is what the S&P was estimating). The the borrowed funds will be used to generate revenue, which will in turn more than cover the debt and accrued interest. It's the concept of financing.

Quote:
And don't qoute me on this since it was around 40min ago since I read the article.
Um, it's a click away.

Quote:
But did it not say they had a net or gross income(forget which ones means after all cost are taken out) of 76million before taxes. Where do you think that went...?
The article says that a reporter believes they had a net profit of $76 million in 2006. Neither a source nor reasoning is provided, and it's certainly not coming from Standard & Poor's, which is the source of the meaningful financial numbers in the article. Besides, if they're like any other growth company, most of that profit went right back into the business.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rogan
That longing to return to the retarded past can only be born of some collective, subconscious, internal desire to try to turn back the clock on humanity and halt our obvious progression towards the inevitable zombie apocalypse of 2012.
jasvll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 903
Acoustic has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Perhaps Zuffa needs to steady its Napoleon ambitions and content its current workers first.

Who wants to know that they're breaking their bones for pennies so that some other fighter in the future might reap the global benefits?

Isn't Zuffa's 'Expansionism' coming at the expense of the current fighters?
Acoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios