Rich Franklin- different camp - Page 5 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 11:42 AM
Middleweight
 
Flak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,757
                     
That's an assumption. Silva has one submission victory on his resume that didn't come from strikes, and two of his losses came from submission. If he loved his ground game so much that he doesn't care if he gets taken down, then he would be shooting in more often.

"He lets them take him down because he's so confident in his ground game that he doesn't care" is something that's been invented by the fans. Silva is primarily a striker, with his standup being light years ahead of his ground game....he wants to stand, his record proves that.

Demian Maia may be the Fred Astaire of jiu-jitsu, but it’s too bad Silva is the Gene Kelly of kicking everyone’s ass.
Flak is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 01:53 PM
Cry Havoc
 
IcemanCometh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Working in the City.
Posts: 2,912
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flak
That's an assumption.
True but then again so is:
Quote:
If he loved his ground game so much that he doesn't care if he gets taken down, then he would be shooting in more often.

Quote:
"He lets them take him down because he's so confident in his ground game that he doesn't care" is something that's been invented by the fans.
Just like your counter argument above.

Quote:
Silva is primarily a striker, with his standup being light years ahead of his ground game....he wants to stand, his record proves that.
I am not arguing that but why not have a ground game so if and when you get taken down you can still win the fight? The reverse could be said about Filho-why improve his striking game if all his wins are from the ground? Also, why not go with what you know/trust and has been winning for you. Also in the fight with Nate he got taken down once, later he defended and pulled off a switch and rained down punches for the win.

I guess I am unsure of what your point is Flak?

IcemanCometh is offline  
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 02:18 PM
Champ
Image Hosting by Picoodle.com
 
yorT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 3,541
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flak
That's an assumption. Silva has one submission victory on his resume that didn't come from strikes, and two of his losses came from submission. If he loved his ground game so much that he doesn't care if he gets taken down, then he would be shooting in more often.

"He lets them take him down because he's so confident in his ground game that he doesn't care" is something that's been invented by the fans. Silva is primarily a striker, with his standup being light years ahead of his ground game....he wants to stand, his record proves that.
Ok a good example of this is the nate fight, he threw a flying knee at him and most likey knew silva he was going to get taken down and he did, by single leg. Then when nate had his single leg again later on in the round, instead of letting nate take him to the ground, silva just reversed it and took nate to the ground and pounded him into a tko. He pounded him into tko instead of submitting him because that was the fastest way to win. Silva just recently got his black belt in bjj in 2006 and those submission loses he had he was in a standing position before getting submitted.
yorT is offline  
post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 02:32 PM
Banned
 
Fedor>all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 8,796
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorT
Ok a good example of this is the nate fight, he threw a flying knee at him and most likey knew silva he was going to get taken down and he did, by single leg. Then when nate had his single leg again later on in the round, instead of letting nate take him to the ground, silva just reversed it and took nate to the ground and pounded him into a tko. He pounded him into tko instead of submitting him because that was the fastest way to win. Silva just recently got his black belt in bjj in 2006 and those submission loses he had he was in a standing position before getting submitted.
He lost via triangle on the ground to a relative scrub bro, he wasn't standing at all.
Fedor>all is offline  
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 03:04 PM
Middleweight
 
Flak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,757
                     
My point is, when he goes to ground, it's not by choice. That's something his fans have invented to refute the argument that he has average take down defense. It's a weak rebuttal because it's based on an assumption.

Iceman - im not assuming anything. Im going off the available evidence, his style and his record. He is primarily a striker, and given the choice he chooses to stand. His record reflects that.

Im not saying that he can't stuff a takedown, or can't pull off a sweep. Ofcourse he can. Despite that however, it is not one of his strengths, and the jury is still out on how he will handle a dominate wrestler with great base and dominant top position. If you're going to say that his fight with Nate proved that, don't. Nate is not that guy. He doesn't have a strong wrestling background or wrestling pedegree.

Why do you guys have so much trouble admitting that Anderson's game isn't perfect and that he has questions that need to be answered? Mentioning a weakness Silva has on this board is like calling peoples mothers mean names at times.

Demian Maia may be the Fred Astaire of jiu-jitsu, but it’s too bad Silva is the Gene Kelly of kicking everyone’s ass.

Last edited by Flak; 11-14-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Flak is offline  
post #46 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 03:14 PM
Cry Havoc
 
IcemanCometh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Working in the City.
Posts: 2,912
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flak
Mentioning a weakness Silva has on this board is like calling peoples mothers mean names at times.
Or Rich Franklin a B level fighter....LOL.

Also, if not Nate then who do you see with that background?

Edit: That is the thing I don't have a problem seeing that argument but I think fighting the guys he has like Nate, Lutter, and Franklin all guys with good maybe not Hendo great ground games and he beat them all, didn't taken down easily or when he was down controlled the fight, or popped back up.

IcemanCometh is offline  
post #47 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Middleweight
 
Flak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,757
                     
None of those guys are strong wrestlers. None of them.

There's a large and distinct difference between a good grappler who's got ok wrestling (nate for example), and a good wrestler who's built upon that and became a good grappler with a wrestlers base (Hughes for example). A fighter that's a younger, slightly bigger version of Matt Hughes could pose some very real problems for Silva.

I look forward to Silva being matched up against someone like that. If he wins, ill be the first to give him his props, but as it stands today, he hasn't displayed the TDD needed to keep the fight standing and out of danger like GSP did against Hughes and KOS.

Demian Maia may be the Fred Astaire of jiu-jitsu, but it’s too bad Silva is the Gene Kelly of kicking everyone’s ass.
Flak is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome