Elbows - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 10-16-2006, 07:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Amatuer
 
Fighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 115
Fighter has a little shameless behaviour in the pastFighter has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Elbows

i for one like the elbows in the UFC, however they cut people easy. Sean Sherk potentially could have lost because of his cut. That would make Florian the champ because of a cut. I doubt that fighters could use elbow pads, because they could get in the way of submissions and whatnot.

I would like to see the UFC get rid of elbows, and allow kicks knees and stomps to the head of a downed opponent. However the fighters should only be able to do this if they are inside of the centre octagon outline in the ring, not while pinned against the cage.

The fights will be more intersting. Wretlers wont be able to hold someone down and just throw short elbows through the guard and pull off a boring decision victory. Whereas if the man in guard has to throw a punch its easier forthe guy to go for subs from the bottom.

to me a knock out due to kick to the face seems a little more decisive to then winner by cut. Thought???
Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 10-16-2006, 07:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned
 
AtomDanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NOwhere
Posts: 2,317
AtomDanger is an unknown quantity at this pointAtomDanger is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter
i for one like the elbows in the UFC, however they cut people easy. Sean Sherk potentially could have lost because of his cut. That would make Florian the champ because of a cut. I doubt that fighters could use elbow pads, because they could get in the way of submissions and whatnot.

I would like to see the UFC get rid of elbows, and allow kicks knees and stomps to the head of a downed opponent. However the fighters should only be able to do this if they are inside of the centre octagon outline in the ring, not while pinned against the cage.

The fights will be more intersting. Wretlers wont be able to hold someone down and just throw short elbows through the guard and pull off a boring decision victory. Whereas if the man in guard has to throw a punch its easier forthe guy to go for subs from the bottom.

to me a knock out due to kick to the face seems a little more decisive to then winner by cut. Thought???

I Dont think they should be stopped for cuts, i say let em bleed and tapout if they want to.
i definatly dont think they need any kind of pad or elbow cover
AtomDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Amatuer
 
Raiders18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 104
Raiders18 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
i agree with atomdanger let it go untill they fell they cant no more.
Raiders18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 18
IIDX has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomDanger
I Dont think they should be stopped for cuts, i say let em bleed and tapout if they want to.
i definatly dont think they need any kind of pad or elbow cover
Not only that, but the only way a fight should be stopped is due to tap out or unconsciousness.

I know it's a risk to the fighter's health, but it would end a lot of controvers surrounding early stoppage, and it would be a hell of a lot more entertaining.
IIDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned
 
AtomDanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NOwhere
Posts: 2,317
AtomDanger is an unknown quantity at this pointAtomDanger is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders18
i agree with atomdanger let it go untill they fell they cant no more.

Yeah i mean, MMA is based on fighting, obviously.
Being cut is part of that, You can't make the sport too safe, or it will get REALLY boring.
AtomDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned
 
AtomDanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NOwhere
Posts: 2,317
AtomDanger is an unknown quantity at this pointAtomDanger is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIDX
Not only that, but the only way a fight should be stopped is due to tap out or unconsciousness.

I know it's a risk to the fighter's health, but it would end a lot of controvers surrounding early stoppage, and it would be a hell of a lot more entertaining.

YEAH!
I think the ref stoppage is used WAYYYY too much.
These guys fight, a lot of them for a living, they know when they are done and if they dont, thier body does.
AtomDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned
 
Pogo the Clown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 723
Pogo the Clown has a little shameless behaviour in the past
The UFC doesn't have much of a say in the matter as its the doctors and the athletic commissions that decide that. They would also never allow head stomps or kneeing the head of downed apponent.


Pogo
Pogo the Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned
 
AtomDanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NOwhere
Posts: 2,317
AtomDanger is an unknown quantity at this pointAtomDanger is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo the Clown
The UFC doesn't have much of a say in the matter as its the doctors and the athletic commissions that decide that. They would also never allow head stomps or kneeing the head of downed apponent.


Pogo

Yeah, but those rules are fair...

I think they could pretty easily let up a little on ref stoppage for not defending.
AtomDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 318
Shogun is an unknown quantity at this pointShogun is an unknown quantity at this pointShogun is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo the Clown
The UFC doesn't have much of a say in the matter as its the doctors and the athletic commissions that decide that. They would also never allow head stomps or kneeing the head of downed apponent.


Pogo
Not true, UFC could ban elbows if they want. Pride's upcoming US event will not allow elbows because that is a Pride rule. The reason? Not because it's dangerous but because elbows cause cuts more easily and thus doctor stoppages which don't make for good fights.
Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
f-dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 273
f-dog has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter
I would like to see the UFC get rid of elbows
Elbows are a great way to win a fight. They allow for powerful close-quarters striking. If a guy gets cut because of elbow strikes and bleeds enough for the fight to be stopped then good for the guy who threw the strike(s). It doesn't matter if its Kenny Florian or Sean Sherk, its all about damage.
f-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios