How would MMA fighters do against elite pro boxers? - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 542
       
How would MMA fighters do against elite pro boxers?

Ok, this one isn't gonna happen, but I wonder what would happen if someone like Arlovski fought Wladimir Klitchko ... forget about takedowns, etc ... just talking about pure stand up, boxing skills .. are there any MMA fighters out there that could hang with the elite? I know there are MMA fighters that are/have been professional boxers, kick boxers, etc., but is there anyone who could strike with people like Hasim Rahman, Evander Holyfield, Roy Jones, Antonio Tarver? My guess is no, since boxers focus 100% of their energy on standup boxing skills .. still you'd like to see Anderson Silva go up against Antonio Tarver just to see what would happen!!!!
Slick_Fugitive is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 12:49 PM
Amatuer
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 119
 
Well thats like saying how would Football players do against Baseball players at baseball just because both run during the game. In a pure boxing match, the boxers would kill them. But I suppose that might depend on which gloves they wear as well.

Either way its not a legit comparison, and we all know how well pure boxers do in the MMA, they dont.
blackskimmer is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Bantamweight
 
Spit206Fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 669
               
Alot of MMA fighters have been boxers.

Jens Pulver was a VERY VERY big boxer a while back, he was actually nationally ranked in the top 5 for his weightclass i believe.

Same with Chris Lytle and a bunch of other fighters.

I think the one sidedness to it (just punching) can frusterate MMA fighters though.

What is it that is going to be on your mind when you're on your death bed? Will it be the tedious years of 9 to 5, or the memory of some great acheivement. Maybe a moment you stood in glory to the applause of millions.
-Evan Tanner
Spit206Fire is offline  
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 12:52 PM
Satans little helper
 
mrbalkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Howell, Michigan
Posts: 224
                   
bad thread, old topic on every mma forum out there.
mrbalkie is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 01:30 PM
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 18
 
I think it's pretty obvious that the boxers would win in boxing and the mma would win in MMA.... boXing is a very different art than mma and I doubt many of the UFC guys could trade hands 12 rounds with a pro
IIDX is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 01:31 PM
Bantamweight
 
Mr. Bungle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 604
Posts: 607
                     
Most MMA guys would get knocked the f**k out in seconds.

I laugh every time I see one of these so called "champion" UFC guys come running in arms flailing...3 punches from a pro and that would be the end.
Mr. Bungle is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 01:46 PM
Flyweight
 
sherdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 253
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_Fugitive
Ok, this one isn't gonna happen, but I wonder what would happen if someone like Arlovski fought Wladimir Klitchko ... forget about takedowns, etc ... just talking about pure stand up, boxing skills .. are there any MMA fighters out there that could hang with the elite? I know there are MMA fighters that are/have been professional boxers, kick boxers, etc., but is there anyone who could strike with people like Hasim Rahman, Evander Holyfield, Roy Jones, Antonio Tarver? My guess is no, since boxers focus 100% of their energy on standup boxing skills .. still you'd like to see Anderson Silva go up against Antonio Tarver just to see what would happen!!!!
Even though we would know who would win. still... i'd love to see it. I'm not sure if many of your know, but Tyson tried for the UFC. He didn't get past the trial stages, however, many of us wonder what would have happened if he was in his prime.
sherdog is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 01:49 PM
Lightweight
 
Punishment 101's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 1,788
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackskimmer
Well thats like saying how would Football players do against Baseball players at baseball just because both run during the game.

hahahahahahahaha very true.

"I only want to be known as the best ever, is that too much to ask?" - BJ Penn
Punishment 101 is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 542
       
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherdog
Even though we would know who would win. still... i'd love to see it. I'm not sure if many of your know, but Tyson tried for the UFC. He didn't get past the trial stages, however, many of us wonder what would have happened if he was in his prime.
Tyson tried for the UFC? When was that?
Slick_Fugitive is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 542
       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbalkie
bad thread, old topic on every mma forum out there.
Forgive me master MMA expert, this is the first forum I've ever joined like 1 week ago - just don't post if you don't like the thread .. it's that simple
Slick_Fugitive is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome