Analyzing GSP vs. Fitch - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Bantamweight
 
kgilstrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 706
                     
Analyzing GSP vs. Fitch

On August 9 we will see GSP, the reigning UFC welterweight champion defend his title against Jon Fitch, the #1 contender at 170.

GSP is a well rounded machine. He excels at wrestling, striking, and jiu-jitsu and is always looking to improve outside of his comfort zone, such as training overseas in jiu-jitsu, training with olympc heavyweight wrestlers, or training with world class boxers. He currently trains out of Team Jackson leading up to his fights, where he can train and prepare with some of the top athletes in the game right now.

Fitch is moderately tall for a welterweight standing at 6 ft. He is a strong wrestler and enjoyes a reach advantage over GSP in this fight. He trains out of American Kickboxing Academy where they are loaded with welterweight talent and he has been improving on his striking.

GSP has proven that he can out-wrestle the top wrestlers in his weight division even though his "wrestling resume" isn't on par with some of the others in his division. He has shown great octagon control while using his striking to lead to his take downs and uses his top control to lead to his submissions. GSP has put together his wrestling, striking, and jiu-jitsu to make him one of the most well rounded fighters in MMA today. While his striking is good, he is not known to knock guys out with his fists, instead he uses his striking to setup other aspects of his game.

Fitch trains with Koscheck who was one of GSP's last fights and is thought to be one of the best wrestlers in MMA today. In this fight, Koscheck was out-wrestled due to GSP's ability to combine all the aspects of MMA and keep Koscheck guessing and not allow him to be comfortable in the octagon. While Koscheck is the better wrestler, Fitch puts it all together better than he does and this should benefit him in this fight. I am sure AKA is picking apart the Koscheck/GSP fight to improve Fitch's chances.

Fitch is a great wrestler, but not the caliber of wrestler of Koscheck or Hughes for that matter. Fitch needs to utilize his reach advantage to keep GSP shooting from the outside and make it hard for him to setup. I honestly do not see Fitch winning this match. Fitch's strength will more than likely be equalized by GSP's wrestling ability and fitch will more than likely find himself on his back where GSP is known to muscle you around and either submit or GNP to a victory. I don't see this fight being completely one-sided, as I think Fitch will do ok for a round or two before GSP wears him out and capitalizes on a mistake. Fitch is a different build of fighter than GSP has fought before and it will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.
kgilstrap is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Amatuer
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 102
       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgilstrap View Post
On August 9 we will see GSP, the reigning UFC welterweight champion defend his title against Jon Fitch, the #1 contender at 170.

GSP is a well rounded machine. He excels at wrestling, striking, and jiu-jitsu and is always looking to improve outside of his comfort zone, such as training overseas in jiu-jitsu, training with olympc heavyweight wrestlers, or training with world class boxers. He currently trains out of Team Jackson leading up to his fights, where he can train and prepare with some of the top athletes in the game right now.

Fitch is moderately tall for a welterweight standing at 6 ft. He is a strong wrestler and enjoyes a reach advantage over GSP in this fight. He trains out of American Kickboxing Academy where they are loaded with welterweight talent and he has been improving on his striking.

GSP has proven that he can out-wrestle the top wrestlers in his weight division even though his "wrestling resume" isn't on par with some of the others in his division. He has shown great octagon control while using his striking to lead to his take downs and uses his top control to lead to his submissions. GSP has put together his wrestling, striking, and jiu-jitsu to make him one of the most well rounded fighters in MMA today. While his striking is good, he is not known to knock guys out with his fists, instead he uses his striking to setup other aspects of his game.

Fitch trains with Koscheck who was one of GSP's last fights and is thought to be one of the best wrestlers in MMA today. In this fight, Koscheck was out-wrestled due to GSP's ability to combine all the aspects of MMA and keep Koscheck guessing and not allow him to be comfortable in the octagon. While Koscheck is the better wrestler, Fitch puts it all together better than he does and this should benefit him in this fight. I am sure AKA is picking apart the Koscheck/GSP fight to improve Fitch's chances.

Fitch is a great wrestler, but not the caliber of wrestler of Koscheck or Hughes for that matter. Fitch needs to utilize his reach advantage to keep GSP shooting from the outside and make it hard for him to setup. I honestly do not see Fitch winning this match. Fitch's strength will more than likely be equalized by GSP's wrestling ability and fitch will more than likely find himself on his back where GSP is known to muscle you around and either submit or GNP to a victory. I don't see this fight being completely one-sided, as I think Fitch will do ok for a round or two before GSP wears him out and capitalizes on a mistake. Fitch is a different build of fighter than GSP has fought before and it will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

First of all let me start off by saying great post!!! +Rep my friend.

Your right Fitch is not the caliber of wrestler Koscheck is, well he is slightly below him in my opinion, but Fitch also stays VERY VERY busy on the ground, which Koscheck tends not to do, and I think Fitch and Hughes may be considered equal in wrestling at this point in time, now back in the day when Hughes was in his prime I dont think Fitch would be able to wrestle with him, but now I think there is a shot.

It is very hard for me to call this fight one way or another because these are my two favorite fighters in the UFC at the moment. But with favorites put aside I cant really see GSP losing this, because even if Fitch is able to get the better of him on the ground, GSP would destroy him in a kickboxing match.





Respectfully,

~Mobley101~

Favorite Fighters
1. Georges St. Pierre
2. Andrei Arlovski
3. Jon Fitch
4. Brock Lesnar
5. Forrest Griffin

Officially on the Amir Sodollah Bandwagon. The kids entertaining as hell.

Forum Bets: 22-2
Mobley101 is offline  
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Featherweight
 
enceledus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 1,440
                     
If St. Pierre comes into this fight with his head in the game, no one will stop him. This may not be a complete destruction of Fitch, but if GSP has his head right, he will dominate.

"Existence precedes essence"

- Jean Paul Sartre

My podcast/blog: http://lifeashumans.blogspot.com/

Funniest thing you may ever find on the internet: www.gentlemanbob.com

or look for gentlemanbob on facebook

NPFFL: Cain Velasquez, Demian Maia, Lyoto Machida, Joseph Benavidez
enceledus is offline  
post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 02:40 PM
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 292
                     
I don't want to make another thread, so I'll just pose this question. For all the GSP skeptics, what will you think of him if he finishes Fitch (a man who has won his last 15 fights) in dominating fashion in the 1st or 2nd round? Do you still think BJ would whoop him? Do you still think he wouldn't stand a chance vs Silva?
gm2685 is offline  
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Bantamweight
 
kgilstrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 706
                     
I think GSP/Penn and GSP/Silva would both be exciting and completely different matchups. Who would win? I dont know...let's put them in the ring together and find out. The fact is that any of the top guys in each division could more than likely get the better of each other on any given day, so yes he has a chance.

He's a better wrestler then Silva, but not as good of a striker. He's a better wrestler than Penn, but about even on striking and not nearly as good on the ground.
kgilstrap is offline  
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Funky Groundwork
 
FunkYou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,151
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm2685 View Post
I don't want to make another thread, so I'll just pose this question. For all the GSP skeptics, what will you think of him if he finishes Fitch (a man who has won his last 15 fights) in dominating fashion in the 1st or 2nd round? Do you still think BJ would whoop him? Do you still think he wouldn't stand a chance vs Silva?
If GSP win this fight it doesn't really give any indication as to how he would do against either BJ or Silva as they are both better than Fitch. Saying that I think that this fight could be quite close if Fitch can do what Kos couldn't ie out wrestle GSP and put him on his back where he is weakest.




MMAFFL Record 4-1
FunkYou is offline  
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Funky Groundwork
 
FunkYou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,151
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by championfighter View Post
Way too much time on your hands to be doing a post that long. your weird
Nice and constructive post there. Well done.




MMAFFL Record 4-1
FunkYou is offline  
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 04:27 PM
CoutureCop
 
Davisty69's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 6,091
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by championfighter View Post
Way too much time on your hands to be doing a post that long. your weird
How about you say something worth a damn, or just go back to pulling you pud. The guy put out a well though out post, with good information, and this is the best you can do?

-rep buddy.


Check out MMAforum.com's
Top 25 Fights to show a new MMA fan!!

http://www.mmaforum.com/ufc/69374-to...ml#post1079252
Davisty69 is offline  
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Flyweight
 
Bebop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: St Catharines, ON
Posts: 428
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by championfighter View Post
Way too much time on your hands to be doing a post that long. your weird
Get lost Buddy.. You're just joining up and you think you have the right disrespect others and say things like that?? Especially after a quality post..??
On top of ur baseless insult, you don't even attempt to add to the thread. Nobody wants people like you sticking around this forum.

On another note - Great post There's much truth to what you said. As a GSP fan, let's just hope the fight goes as smoothly as it does on paper - 2nd 0r 3rd round TKO.
Bebop is offline  
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 05:00 PM
Flyweight
 
rdrush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 370
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkYou View Post
If GSP win this fight it doesn't really give any indication as to how he would do against either BJ or Silva as they are both better than Fitch. Saying that I think that this fight could be quite close if Fitch can do what Kos couldn't ie out wrestle GSP and put him on his back where he is weakest.

Considering he has only been on his back for 2 of his UFC fights I would say you cant really say that his weak point is on his back. Against Hughes it has already been determined that he wasn't ready for that fight and didnt have the experience to fight that cliber of fighter and thats why he lost. That was almost 4 years ago. And against Kos, he got taken down late in the round and was just smothered, didnt take to much damage but didnt throw many submission attempts either. You could be right though that he would be weakest on his back. In fact it would kind of make sense because he likes to control the tempo and where the fight goes, if he can't get up obviously he is getting controlled and thus losing the round. It will be interesting to see who controls the pace and where the fight goes. I still give the edge to GSP on that just because the style of striking he throws at a guy is not as common as kickboxing etc. He is essentially a karate guy and while not as accomplished as Machida I think that still gives his opponent trouble reading him on the feet and he can just use that to execute his takedown. Just my opinion.
rdrush is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome