Why is BJ Penn thought so highly of - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 100 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Welterweight
 
BrianRClover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Saint Louis MO
Posts: 2,384
                     
Why is BJ Penn thought so highly of

Perfectly aware that I'm going to get a backlash for this, and most answers will be signed with a hint of Jackass, I'm genuinely curious.
Why is BJ thought to be such an imposing force. One of the biggest arguments people make when someone says Anderson Silva has four losses on his record so he can't be the best p4p, yet BJ has 4 losses. He's also inconsistent, yet another fighter that everyone says "We'll see which BJ shows up". And he felt he needed to retreat to 155 to be champion rather than toughing it out in the division he clearly wants to be in.
So... what's the big deal with this guy? Seriously?
BrianRClover is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 100 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Banned
 
TheNegation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,809
                     
The division he wanted to be in?

BJ Penn is a 155er.

And you know why he is so highly thought of, don't ask stupid questions.

I'm not even a fan of the guy, but this is retarded.
TheNegation is offline  
post #3 of 100 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Middleweight
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 2,615
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianRClover View Post
Perfectly aware that I'm going to get a backlash for this, and most answers will be signed with a hint of Jackass, I'm genuinely curious.
Why is BJ thought to be such an imposing force. One of the biggest arguments people make when someone says Anderson Silva has four losses on his record so he can't be the best p4p, yet BJ has 4 losses. He's also inconsistent, yet another fighter that everyone says "We'll see which BJ shows up". And he felt he needed to retreat to 155 to be champion rather than toughing it out in the division he clearly wants to be in.
So... what's the big deal with this guy? Seriously?
I wont bash on ya. You make a good point. It makes me sick thinking he might get a shot at GSP. Once he clearly takes out the lw division then yes maybe kinda like faber has pretty much takn out the feartherwight division. If he wants the shot now he should have to forfiet the lw belt. we shouldnt have to weight 6months to a year for a fricken tltle defense get real. Dudes still a badass though.

Last edited by TERMINATOR; 08-16-2008 at 12:55 PM.
TERMINATOR is offline  
post #4 of 100 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 12:53 PM
Cheers.
 
vandalian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,341
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianRClover View Post
Perfectly aware that I'm going to get a backlash for this, and most answers will be signed with a hint of Jackass, I'm genuinely curious.
Why is BJ thought to be such an imposing force. One of the biggest arguments people make when someone says Anderson Silva has four losses on his record so he can't be the best p4p, yet BJ has 4 losses. He's also inconsistent, yet another fighter that everyone says "We'll see which BJ shows up". And he felt he needed to retreat to 155 to be champion rather than toughing it out in the division he clearly wants to be in.
So... what's the big deal with this guy? Seriously?
Watch out, Clover. You're gonna get negged hard for this sacrelidge.

But you make good points, so here's a +rep to help balance out.

Penn does not deserve GSP.
vandalian is offline  
post #5 of 100 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Lightweight
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,889
                     
I dislike Penn's childish, self centered attitude and he deserves a shot at GSP about as much as I do right now but to answer your question:

He is well regarded because he is one of the first complete, true MMA fighters. He does everything well. Good striker with heavy hands for his size, quick, amazing TDD and on the ground some of the best BJJ in the world. He also has demonstrated that he can not only take a shot but he shrugs it off. He never seems to get hurt. If he had trained the way he does now for his whole career and stayed at LW he sure wouldn't have 4 losses.

Too bad he is such a douche.
Drogo is offline  
post #6 of 100 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Welterweight
 
BrianRClover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Saint Louis MO
Posts: 2,384
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandalian View Post
Watch out, Clover. You're gonna get negged hard for this sacrelidge.

But you make good points, so here's a +rep to help balance out.

Penn does not deserve GSP.
I know it man. I fully expect it all though I'm asking in the most genuine since, contrary to what the first comment implies. I really don't get it.
BrianRClover is offline  
post #7 of 100 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 01:20 PM
International Stalker
 
MJB23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 6,786
                     
BJ is one of the greatest BJJ practitioners in the MMA and was the first non Brazilian to ever win Mundials. He exploded onto the MMA scene and has been good ever since.
MJB23 is offline  
post #8 of 100 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Welterweight
 
BrianRClover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Saint Louis MO
Posts: 2,384
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogo View Post
I dislike Penn's childish, self centered attitude and he deserves a shot at GSP about as much as I do right now but to answer your question:

He is well regarded because he is one of the first complete, true MMA fighters. He does everything well. Good striker with heavy hands for his size, quick, amazing TDD and on the ground some of the best BJJ in the world. He also has demonstrated that he can not only take a shot but he shrugs it off. He never seems to get hurt. If he had trained the way he does now for his whole career and stayed at LW he sure wouldn't have 4 losses.

Too bad he is such a douche.
That does make sense, I guess I just expect champions to carry themselves at another level not only as competitors but as ambassadors. Like GSP, Forrest, and especially Silva and Nog, BJ does not.
BrianRClover is offline  
post #9 of 100 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 01:23 PM
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 54
               
(1) Ever increasing boxing skills.
(2) Great sprawl/takedown defence.
(3) Great jiu-jitsu skills.
(4) Unreal dexterity/flexibility off his back.
(5) Mercurial.
(6) Genius?

Incantation is offline  
post #10 of 100 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 01:27 PM
SugaRUSH!
 
brownpimp88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Surrey, Canada
Posts: 3,807
Blog Entries: 1
                     
Let's see, on top of being the quickest American to get a black belt in Jui-Jitsu, tool Judo blackbelts as a white belt, actively compete and win at the black belt level in jui jitsu, BJ has a lot of other qualities to being an MMA fighter. On top of his excellent grappling creds, he has a rock solid chin, dangerous strikes, crazy power for a small dude and incredible TDD. On top of that, people really started to love the guy when he stopped giving a shit about the sport and took a bad ass approach. And even more when he decided he wanted to be the greatest and started to take it serious again. Not to mention he has no problem fighting 205'ers and talking trash to sell a fight.

Support Mixed Martial Arts, not Ultimate Fighting

brownpimp88 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome