What's it like to be "punch" drunk?? - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 542
       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris32
I find it depends on where you get hit...

For me a good strike to the nose (breaking your nose) sends a flash of pain, watering eyes and breathing problems. I usually am not rocked from it though or feel like I am knocked out, just in a lot of pain. (I have had two surgeries on my nose and easily 8 breaks over the years)

Punch or kick to the side of the head usually ringing ears, dizziness, one side of the body is a little messed up.

The worst for me is a hard hit to the ear area. That is what rocks me the most.

I haven't fought in years but did boxing/TKD seriously and a little judo, few fights on the street
8 breaks over the years .. yow ... I heard that they actually remove some cartilige in a fighter's nose making it harder to break, is there any truth in that?
Slick_Fugitive is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 10:43 AM
Satans little helper
 
mrbalkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Howell, Michigan
Posts: 224
                   
Man, I got rocked real bad in training once, once. He leg kicked me, wich distracted me for that second as he followed up with a jab that I slipped and as I was coming in I caught his cross, I got hit in the chin full on as I was stepping in (my moving forward+his punch), talk about punch drunk, I turned 1 and a half times around like a cartoon character and staggered for about ten feet before I sat down (fell down) in a metal folding chair. Fortunatly for me my partner is experienced and didnt follow up with more hits or I would have been ktfo.
Anyway, it was like sitting at a table having drink after drink and not realising your drunk till to get up and try to walk and you realise your legs have a mind of their own and your not quite sure why you feel so dizzy cause it came on so fast.
well that and the bloody lip/nose.

WINNER - 1st post.
Flawless Victory!!

-Storm442
mrbalkie is offline  
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 10:58 AM
Back In Black
 
Chrisl972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Winter Haven, Fl
Posts: 4,185
                     
I would have to say that the first thing is a flash the instant you get hit. Then as soon as you can see again, it's just insane. You have trouble standing, you can't see if there is another strike coming, you hear a loud ringing/buzzing and you just want to get out of it. You are in full panic mode. The worst part to me is the having to worry about standing when you should be worrying about the guy that just crushed you.

Chrisl972 is offline  
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 11:01 AM
Hammer Fist Elbow
 
Matt_Serra_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 350
                     
You just basically wonder where you are and not really much on defending yourself because you dont have a hint of a clue whats going on.

Matt "The Terra" Serra

R.I.P Evan Tanner
Matt_Serra_Fan is offline  
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 542
       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbalkie
Man, I got rocked real bad in training once, once. He leg kicked me, wich distracted me for that second as he followed up with a jab that I slipped and as I was coming in I caught his cross, I got hit in the chin full on as I was stepping in (my moving forward+his punch), talk about punch drunk, I turned 1 and a half times around like a cartoon character and staggered for about ten feet before I sat down (fell down) in a metal folding chair. Fortunatly for me my partner is experienced and didnt follow up with more hits or I would have been ktfo.
Anyway, it was like sitting at a table having drink after drink and not realising your drunk till to get up and try to walk and you realise your legs have a mind of their own and your not quite sure why you feel so dizzy cause it came on so fast.
well that and the bloody lip/nose.
I am just starting training ... is there any way you can train to take a punch better ... I really don't think so, but for instance, the legs turn to rubber, if your legs are bigger and stronger, is there less of a chance you'll go down or does weight training really have nothing to do with it since it is really a disruption in the signal to your brain?
Slick_Fugitive is offline  
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 11:09 AM
Satans little helper
 
mrbalkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Howell, Michigan
Posts: 224
                   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_Fugitive
I am just starting training ... is there any way you can train to take a punch better ... I really don't think so, but for instance, the legs turn to rubber, if your legs are bigger and stronger, is there less of a chance you'll go down or does weight training really have nothing to do with it since it is really a disruption in the signal to your brain?
have someone put on some 16oz gloves and knock you around a bit while your wearing head gear. It dosen't make it better but it makes it easier to deal with and your reaction time will be better when you do get rocked. Honestly though if you have a good opponent and he rocks you and your stunned you just hope some girl in the audience flashes her boobs to him and distracts him enough to let you recover.

WINNER - 1st post.
Flawless Victory!!

-Storm442
mrbalkie is offline  
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 11:38 AM
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 323
         
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_Fugitive
8 breaks over the years .. yow ... I heard that they actually remove some cartilige in a fighter's nose making it harder to break, is there any truth in that?
I am not sure exactly what they did except straighten everything out and they did open up the inside of one nostril to help breathing. The worst thing about nose/sinus surgery are those balloons they stick up there to help it "set". They go right up into your sinuses. When they pull the things out a while after surgery it feels like they are tearing your brain out of your head. It's a horrible feeling
Chris32 is offline  
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 542
       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris32
I am not sure exactly what they did except straighten everything out and they did open up the inside of one nostril to help breathing. The worst thing about nose/sinus surgery are those balloons they stick up there to help it "set". They go right up into your sinuses. When they pull the things out a while after surgery it feels like they are tearing your brain out of your head. It's a horrible feeling
That is shitty, I've never heard of that!!
Slick_Fugitive is offline  
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 12:31 PM
Satans little helper
 
mrbalkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Howell, Michigan
Posts: 224
                   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_Fugitive
That is shitty, I've never heard of that!!
6 breaks. one surgery, 3 cauterisations. I hope none of you have to go through any of it.

WINNER - 1st post.
Flawless Victory!!

-Storm442
mrbalkie is offline  
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 542
       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbalkie
6 breaks. one surgery, 3 cauterisations. I hope none of you have to go through any of it.
According to his website, Rich had to endure having his nose "re-set" in the locker room after the Anderson Silva fight ... that must have hurt like ****
Slick_Fugitive is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome