Rashad Evans: "There are many holes in Chuck's game" - Page 5 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 02:52 PM
Amateur
 
Chipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 127
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
We need a real black man in the UFC, not Rampage's fake ass chain and his annoying howl.
F U HO!

Chipper pound 4 pound best poster on this site.

Other posters I have owned:
Southpaw447
Chipper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 02:56 PM
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 53
                     
I just want to say, a lot of people on this forum need to chill out. I see people claiming Rashad is a "Piece of Trash" now after reading this, way too go overboard people. Just because you may not see the racism he describes doesnt mean it doesnt exist. The Ice Man has many many white trash fans now. Many are ignorant and racist, dont know anything about MMA.

I'm going to use my experience watching the fight as an example. My friends and myself watched the fight at a bar in the town over, this was the town we went to highschool in many years ago so we recognized alot of the people there. During the fight there were endless boos for Rashad, some jackasses actually had 90% of the bar chanting "CHUCK CHUCK CHUCK". Unless these people have dramatically changed, they are racist just as they were years back when I went to school with and knew them.

I have heard numerous racist comments about Rashad Evans before he even fought Chuck, coming from his fight with Tito. The Tito fight had a lot of people from around here out saying some stupid racists comments. They werent "I HATE RASHAD CAUSE HE IS BLACK" They were more subtle like "Rashad sucks, Tito totally won that fight, that 'old racist word'.."

Oh did I mention we are from Rashads announced home town, where I thought the majority would be supporting him?

My point being. Sorry if It sounds like I am trying to Justify Rashads Actions, but just because some people are lucky enough to not witness the more ignorant people of this world does not mean they dont exist and arent criticizing.
TheNamesNelson is offline  
post #43 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 03:00 PM
Cheesy Poofs
 
stitch1z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,588
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNamesNelson View Post
I just want to say, a lot of people on this forum need to chill out. I see people claiming Rashad is a "Piece of Trash" now after reading this, way too go overboard people. Just because you may not see the racism he describes doesnt mean it doesnt exist. The Ice Man has many many white trash fans now. Many are ignorant and racist, dont know anything about MMA.

I'm going to use my experience watching the fight as an example. My friends and myself watched the fight at a bar in the town over, this was the town we went to highschool in many years ago so we recognized alot of the people there. During the fight there were endless boos for Rashad, some jackasses actually had 90% of the bar chanting "CHUCK CHUCK CHUCK". Unless these people have dramatically changed, they are racist just as they were years back when I went to school with and knew them.

I have heard numerous racist comments about Rashad Evans before he even fought Chuck, coming from his fight with Tito. The Tito fight had a lot of people from around here out saying some stupid racists comments. They werent "I HATE RASHAD CAUSE HE IS BLACK" They were more subtle like "Rashad sucks, Tito totally won that fight, that 'old racist word'.."

Oh did I mention we are from Rashads announced home town, where I thought the majority would be supporting him?

My point being. Sorry if It sounds like I am trying to Justify Rashads Actions, but just because some people are lucky enough to not witness the more ignorant people of this world does not mean they dont exist and arent criticizing.
Just so you know, everyone on this board isn't as sheltered as you might think.

I HAVE seen racism. And it is not booing the opponent of Chuck Liddell or Tito Ortiz. Those guys are extremely popular fighters and have huge fan bases. Hence, a lot of people will root for them against a newcomer / relative unknown.

Please don't add fuel to this fire by trying to justify that a guy that makes six figures in a single night is a victim of racism.




Don Frye's Mustache > Kimbo's Beard
stitch1z is offline  
post #44 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 03:04 PM
MLD
Bantamweight
 
MLD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oregon Country
Posts: 643
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNamesNelson View Post
I just want to say, a lot of people on this forum need to chill out. I see people claiming Rashad is a "Piece of Trash" now after reading this, way too go overboard people. Just because you may not see the racism he describes doesnt mean it doesnt exist. The Ice Man has many many white trash fans now. Many are ignorant and racist, dont know anything about MMA.

I'm going to use my experience watching the fight as an example. My friends and myself watched the fight at a bar in the town over, this was the town we went to highschool in many years ago so we recognized alot of the people there. During the fight there were endless boos for Rashad, some jackasses actually had 90% of the bar chanting "CHUCK CHUCK CHUCK". Unless these people have dramatically changed, they are racist just as they were years back when I went to school with and knew them.

I have heard numerous racist comments about Rashad Evans before he even fought Chuck, coming from his fight with Tito. The Tito fight had a lot of people from around here out saying some stupid racists comments. They werent "I HATE RASHAD CAUSE HE IS BLACK" They were more subtle like "Rashad sucks, Tito totally won that fight, that 'old racist word'.."

Oh did I mention we are from Rashads announced home town, where I thought the majority would be supporting him?

My point being. Sorry if It sounds like I am trying to Justify Rashads Actions, but just because some people are lucky enough to not witness the more ignorant people of this world does not mean they dont exist and arent criticizing.
No one is denying that racism exists. The fact here is that Rashad introduced it to this interview when he said the following:

"If you think about it, itís like this, Iím not a white dude. My fighting style, thatís not how I move and theyíre mad at me because Iím black. I got soul or rhythm or whatever you want to call it, but thatís just how I get down."
MLD is offline  
post #45 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 03:04 PM
Featherweight
 
Grotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: England
Posts: 1,374
                     
I dont understand why Rashad didnt just rush in and demolish Liddell earlier in the fight if his punches were nothing??!!
Ok Rashad you have the best chin in the LHW division and perhaps you should let fighters like Thiago Silva hit it clean so you can prove it....dick.

TEAM GROTTY 2013
Stefan Struve
Donald Cerrone
Glover Texiera
Cub Swanson
Kim Dong - Hyun.
Grotty is offline  
post #46 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 03:05 PM
I Finish Threads
 
HexRei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,991
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1z View Post
Just so you know, everyone on this board isn't as sheltered as you might think.

I HAVE seen racism. And it is not booing the opponent of Chuck Liddell or Tito Ortiz. Those guys are extremely popular fighters and have huge fan bases. Hence, a lot of people will root for them against a newcomer / relative unknown.

Please don't add fuel to this fire by trying to justify that a guy that makes six figures in a single night is a victim of racism.
I don't see what how much $$ he makes has to do with whether he is a victim of racism. Also, its worth pointing out that Rashad didn't use the word racism. You can have cultural misunderstandings without having to situate one person as a victim and the other a perpetrator of racism.

Everybody good, plenty of slaves for my robot colony?
HexRei is online now  
post #47 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 03:05 PM
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 318
     
I think we are all kidding ourselves if we think race has zero to do with a fighter's popularity and how the crowd reacts. No, race is not the only issue here, but in the fight game, crowds usually cheer for the guy they can relate to, in most cases that means the guy they look like.

It applies to every race too. For instance, when Felix Trinidad has a boxing match, you'd think the fight was being held in Puerto Rico.
Shogun is offline  
post #48 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 03:12 PM
Super Heavyweight
 
jasvll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,104
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexRei View Post
I don't see what how much $$ he makes has to do with whether he is a victim of racism. Also, its worth pointing out that Rashad didn't use the word racism. You can have cultural misunderstandings without having to situate one person as a victim and the other a perpetrator of racism.
Yep. Regardless of what motivates it, posters here are being much harsher toward Evans for these comments than any stretch of the imagination would call for.

His comments about punching power more likely come from the psychological aspect of dealing with the mystique behind Liddell's power than it does trying to put him down.

His comments about cultural differences being behind how some people perceive him may or may not be accurate, but they clearly aren't racist or accusing people of racism.

This is why this thread is hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rogan
That longing to return to the retarded past can only be born of some collective, subconscious, internal desire to try to turn back the clock on humanity and halt our obvious progression towards the inevitable zombie apocalypse of 2012.
jasvll is offline  
post #49 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 03:15 PM
It is what it is
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 422
             
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasvll View Post
So, the most genuine and straightforward character from the movie is the one you hate? Must be because he's black.
No, Cubas character was great and funny, but he was a character, nothing more. If a professional athlete acted like that in a particular sport, they too would receive redicule. His flashy little shoulder shake and lazy legs doesn't impress me, it makes me want him to get KTFO. Has nothing to do with race, any athlete that acts like that is undeserving of respect.

"In all matters of opinion, debate is futile."
Warchild is offline  
post #50 of 112 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Gee
Amatuer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 170
                     
Chuck has been around a lot longer than Rashad and has more fans. Many expected Rashad to get knocked out..it's what the Ice Man does!

Then, when Chuck goes stiff everyone is just so suprised and a few probably do start to hate on Rashad, their idol just got a taste of his own medicine!

This is where the show boating comments probably stem from too. Chucks fans probably felt there should of been some more respect after knocking out a legend, but I bet there would of been plenty of cheers if the tables were turned and Chuck was doing his usual running around the ring victory dance.

Last edited by Gee; 09-15-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Gee is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome