Rashad Evans: "There are many holes in Chuck's game" - Page 6 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 09-15-2008, 04:21 PM   #51 (permalink)
MLD
Bantamweight
 
MLD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oregon Country
Posts: 643
MLD is on another level nowMLD is on another level nowMLD is on another level nowMLD is on another level nowMLD is on another level nowMLD is on another level nowMLD is on another level nowMLD is on another level nowMLD is on another level nowMLD is on another level nowMLD is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexRei View Post
I don't see what how much $$ he makes has to do with whether he is a victim of racism. Also, its worth pointing out that Rashad didn't use the word racism. You can have cultural misunderstandings without having to situate one person as a victim and the other a perpetrator of racism.
You mention some very valid and thought provoking points. You made me stop and think. I just wish race wouldn't come up so often. Repped.
MLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 09-15-2008, 04:26 PM   #52 (permalink)
Cheesy Poofs
 
stitch1z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,588
stitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crosses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexRei View Post
I don't see what how much $$ he makes has to do with whether he is a victim of racism. Also, its worth pointing out that Rashad didn't use the word racism. You can have cultural misunderstandings without having to situate one person as a victim and the other a perpetrator of racism.
What was the quote then?...
Quote:
...they’re mad at me because I’m black
Sounds like he's accusing somebody of perpetrating racism against him to me.

In my opinion and experience, being handicapped because of your skin color is being a victim of racism. Or being denied an opportunity because of your skin color or ethnic lineage is racism.

Making six figures in a night: More than most of the people hating on him make in a year (white or black), no doors are closed to Rashad because of the color of his skin.

Edit: However, your point remains valid and I couldn't agree more!
__________________



Don Frye's Mustache > Kimbo's Beard

Last edited by stitch1z : 09-15-2008 at 04:29 PM.
stitch1z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:29 PM   #53 (permalink)
Super Heavyweight
 
jasvll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,104
jasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
No, Cubas character was great and funny, but he was a character, nothing more. If a professional athlete acted like that in a particular sport, they too would receive redicule. His flashy little shoulder shake and lazy legs doesn't impress me, it makes me want him to get KTFO. Has nothing to do with race, any athlete that acts like that is undeserving of respect.
I was just kidding.

It is interesting that despite the showboating, the character was Maguire's conscience throughout the film and was the only client that kept his word and understood loyalty.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rogan
That longing to return to the retarded past can only be born of some collective, subconscious, internal desire to try to turn back the clock on humanity and halt our obvious progression towards the inevitable zombie apocalypse of 2012.
jasvll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:29 PM   #54 (permalink)
It is what it is
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 422
Warchild will become famous soon enoughWarchild will become famous soon enoughWarchild will become famous soon enoughWarchild will become famous soon enoughWarchild will become famous soon enoughWarchild will become famous soon enoughWarchild will become famous soon enough
The celebration after a win is fine, as long as it's not directed towards putting down the opponent. It's more the showboating during the fight that kills me.
__________________
"In all matters of opinion, debate is futile."
Warchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:32 PM   #55 (permalink)
Welterweight
 
joppp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,279
joppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level nowjoppp is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasvll View Post
I remember some whining about his head movement during the fight but nothing about what he did after the win. I don't even remember what he did. Did he kiss a white woman or something? Because that is simply unacceptable in this day and age.
lol. But really, he faked having a heart attack (grabbing his chest, looking shocked). He was just emoting what all the fans in the arena felt like
__________________
Official Leader of the Demian Maia Subway Station!

Dustin Hazelett - I'm McLovin' it

"The second he hits me, I will crush him!" - WAND (WAR)
joppp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:34 PM   #56 (permalink)
Welterweight
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 2,449
Rated is just really niceRated is just really niceRated is just really niceRated is just really niceRated is just really niceRated is just really niceRated is just really niceRated is just really niceRated is just really niceRated is just really niceRated is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1z View Post
I don't agree that this is a culture gap issue.

Their are other black fighters in the UFC that don't have the aura of arrogance Rashad has when he celebrates victory.
Anderson Silva dances when he wins. I wouldn't call what he does disrespectful.

If a black guy doesn't like Chuck running around the ring screaming when he wins, would you attribute that to a cultural gap? Like, it only bothers black people because Chuck is white?
Of course not.

Rashad doesn't realize he's a showboat because he is that self-absorbed. And I imagine his fans don't see it for the most-part because they are emotionally invested in him as a fighter.

But the fact is, he comes off as quite arrogant. It's DEFINITELY not a white/black thing. Some people just hate arrogant antics after a fight such as:

James Irvin's "cowboy pistol thing"
Brock Lesnar riding Heath Herring like a horse, and pointing and laughing in his face.
Tito's "digging the grave" thing he does when he wins.

And I still stand by the fact that if someone asks you how hard your opponent hit you, there are several more humble responses than "Ah man... Was that it?"

Dude's a showboat. Black or white. Love him or hate him.
I'd think you would act a bit arrogant after you brutally KO'd the person who everyone else expected to brutally KO you. It is just a normal human reaction. Everyone keeps doubting him and he keeps proving them wrong.

Pulling the race card is lame but there is a lot of Rashad hate going on and it has been for awhile. Also, there were people claiming his victory celebration was showboating (maybe not in this forum).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
The celebration after a win is fine, as long as it's not directed towards putting down the opponent. It's more the showboating during the fight that kills me.
Do you also hate Jason Miller, the Diaz brothers, Gomi, etc. then? If you do, then fair enough. If not, that's a double standard.

I personally think that Rashad just like using those awkward movements to confuse his opponent. Hell, I'd be confused with what the hell he was doing! :P

Last edited by Rated : 09-15-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:35 PM   #57 (permalink)
I Finish Threads
 
HexRei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,410
HexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1z View Post
What was the quote then?...

Sounds like he's accusing somebody of perpetrating racism against him to me.

In my opinion and experience, being handicapped because of your skin color is being a victim of racism. Or being denied an opportunity because of your skin color or ethnic lineage is racism.
Racism is also a loaded term and is difficult to use without people exploding with defensiveness and jumping to extremes (as evidenced by this thread, and probably the exact reason rashad didn't use the word).

It seemed clear to me that he was talking about black culture as opposed to white culture, not simply skin color. He didn't mean they were made at his black skin, he meant they were made because they come from a different background and misinterpret his actions. Black athletes do victory dances like this all the time in other sports, and white people get pissy about it sometimes too. It's just something that's more common and acceptable in black culture.
__________________
His helmet was stifling, it narrowed his vision. And he must see far. His shield was heavy. It threw him off balance. And his target is far away.
HexRei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:42 PM   #58 (permalink)
Cheesy Poofs
 
stitch1z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,588
stitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crosses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated View Post
I'd think you would act a bit arrogant after you brutally KO'd the person who everyone else expected to brutally KO you. It is just a normal human reaction. Everyone keeps doubting him and he keeps proving them wrong.

Pulling the race card is lame but there is a lot of Rashad hate going on and it has been for awhile. Also, there were people claiming his victory celebration was showboating (maybe not in this forum).


Do you also hate Jason Miller then? If you do, then fair enough. If not, that's a double standard. :P
I personally like guys like Fedor and Minotauro.

Humble fellows that take their victory and hold their opponents in high regards.

Some people like guys that are all flashy when they triumph. Great.

But just because people don't like Rashad... I don't think it's fair to say they don't like him simply because he's black.

I think Rampage's chains and howling thing is stupid. Not arrogant, just silly. Is that because I don't understand black people? lol.

And in the post you quoted, I listed three white guys that bug me when they win. Is that because I hate white people? lol.

And when I was rooting for Hendo against Palhares... Maybe I can't stand Brazillians either.

I mean really. If Chuck was getting booed one night and he responded with "They're just mad at me because I'm white." Would no one be taken aback?
__________________



Don Frye's Mustache > Kimbo's Beard
stitch1z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:51 PM   #59 (permalink)
Super Heavyweight
 
jasvll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,104
jasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By Alljasvll Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by joppp View Post
lol. But really, he faked having a heart attack (grabbing his chest, looking shocked). He was just emoting what all the fans in the arena felt like
Oh, I remember that now. Guess there just aren't enough Sanford & Son fans in the UFC demographic.
"This is the big one. Elizabeth, I'm comin to join ya..."
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rogan
That longing to return to the retarded past can only be born of some collective, subconscious, internal desire to try to turn back the clock on humanity and halt our obvious progression towards the inevitable zombie apocalypse of 2012.
jasvll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:52 PM   #60 (permalink)
Cheesy Poofs
 
stitch1z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,588
stitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crossesstitch1z Is Respected By All He Crosses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexRei View Post
Racism is also a loaded term and is difficult to use without people exploding with defensiveness and jumping to extremes (as evidenced by this thread, and probably the exact reason rashad didn't use the word).

It seemed clear to me that he was talking about black culture as opposed to white culture, not simply skin color. He didn't mean they were made at his black skin, he meant they were made because they come from a different background and misinterpret his actions. Black athletes do victory dances like this all the time in other sports, and white people get pissy about it sometimes too. It's just something that's more common and acceptable in black culture.
I see your point. And I agree for the most-part.

But I think that the real barriers here are sports cultures...

If you make a touchdown, you didn't have to knock out somebody's hero to get it. I think that has more to do with the post-fight hatred than anything. To see someone dancing over your hero's corpse just adds to it. lol

I didn't find Rashad's post-fight celebration to be THAT insulting (he has nothing on Brock, that's for sure). But I go back again to this "aura of arrogance" the guy possesses. He seems full of himself during interviews, before fights, during fights, after fights... lol.

You get the picture.

But I don't think it has anything to do with him being black. He's young, he's undefeated, and he may have a big ego because of it. Especially before this Chuck win, a lot of people thought that the latter two were undeserved.

Now it's arguable, but coming off as arrogant can turn a lot of fans off.
__________________



Don Frye's Mustache > Kimbo's Beard
stitch1z is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios