Houston Alexander - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 09-20-2008, 09:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lightweight
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,844
Drogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level now
Alexander is correctly noted for being weak on the ground but he also has significant cardio problems. Part of his problem against Schafer was that he was gassed after only two minutes (as well as being a fish out of water on the ground).

He's overmuscled. You can't have that much muscle and expect to fight for more than 2-3 minutes at any kind of pace. Your lungs just aren't big enough to supply that much muscle with oxygen. Look at all the top fighters and while almost all of them are in good shape, none of them have that insanely "overdeveloped" weightlifter build that Alexander has.
Drogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 09-20-2008, 09:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
Light Heavyweight
 
name goes here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London England
Posts: 3,300
name goes here Is Respected By All He Crossesname goes here Is Respected By All He Crossesname goes here Is Respected By All He Crossesname goes here Is Respected By All He Crossesname goes here Is Respected By All He Crossesname goes here Is Respected By All He Crossesname goes here Is Respected By All He Crossesname goes here Is Respected By All He Crossesname goes here Is Respected By All He Crossesname goes here Is Respected By All He Crossesname goes here Is Respected By All He Crosses
mma fans are very 'what have you done for me lately'. Houston is the reason why - him and all the other fighters who have gone from awesome to crap in the space of a few fights. An mma one hit wonder
name goes here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 325
Buckingham has a spectacular aura aboutBuckingham has a spectacular aura aboutBuckingham has a spectacular aura aboutBuckingham has a spectacular aura aboutBuckingham has a spectacular aura aboutBuckingham has a spectacular aura aboutBuckingham has a spectacular aura aboutBuckingham has a spectacular aura aboutBuckingham has a spectacular aura aboutBuckingham has a spectacular aura aboutBuckingham has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogo View Post

He's overmuscled. You can't have that much muscle and expect to fight for more than 2-3 minutes at any kind of pace. Your lungs just aren't big enough to supply that much muscle with oxygen. Look at all the top fighters and while almost all of them are in good shape, none of them have that insanely "overdeveloped" weightlifter build that Alexander has.
Cosign, plus him be old already doesn't help. He should trim some of that muscle and work on his ground game. Time is running out fast.
Buckingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Face the Pain
 
Aaronyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 7,021
Aaronyman Is Respected By All He CrossesAaronyman Is Respected By All He CrossesAaronyman Is Respected By All He CrossesAaronyman Is Respected By All He CrossesAaronyman Is Respected By All He CrossesAaronyman Is Respected By All He CrossesAaronyman Is Respected By All He CrossesAaronyman Is Respected By All He CrossesAaronyman Is Respected By All He CrossesAaronyman Is Respected By All He CrossesAaronyman Is Respected By All He Crosses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogo View Post
Alexander is correctly noted for being weak on the ground but he also has significant cardio problems. Part of his problem against Schafer was that he was gassed after only two minutes (as well as being a fish out of water on the ground).

He's overmuscled. You can't have that much muscle and expect to fight for more than 2-3 minutes at any kind of pace. Your lungs just aren't big enough to supply that much muscle with oxygen. Look at all the top fighters and while almost all of them are in good shape, none of them have that insanely "overdeveloped" weightlifter build that Alexander has.
sherk, alves, and lesnar come to mind as guys w/ alot of muscle

they all have shown great cardio so far....it's all about balancing your training...you can have big muscles and still have great cardio
Aaronyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
I'm the Decider
 
wafb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,239
Blog Entries: 1
wafb Is Beloved By Allwafb Is Beloved By Allwafb Is Beloved By Allwafb Is Beloved By Allwafb Is Beloved By Allwafb Is Beloved By Allwafb Is Beloved By Allwafb Is Beloved By Allwafb Is Beloved By Allwafb Is Beloved By Allwafb Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronyman View Post
sherk, alves, and lesnar come to mind as guys w/ alot of muscle

they all have shown great cardio so far....it's all about balancing your training...you can have big muscles and still have great cardio
The guys you described except for Alves had formal training in wrestling, so conditioning is part of their training program, BJJ is also cardio intensive so Thiago at least learned how to condition himself. I don't know if Houston even made it to a wrestling class.
__________________


Pound4Pound, The Best There Is
wafb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
I Finish Threads
 
HexRei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,316
HexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVA>ALL View Post
Guys, I'm not fishing for neg reps, just telling it as it is.

Why the fudge do we even discuss Houston Alexander as though he were a sure thing? What really has this guy ever done?

He's a loser.

I'd be honest, I hate Alexander. I think, like Liddell and Wanderlei Silva, Houston is overrated in the current context of MMA skills.

Please, no neg reps, just an honest discussion.
If you want to avoid neg reps you might want to avoid words like "hate"...

Anyway, I'll agree he WAS overrated, I think he has been exposed with three straight losses. He just exploded onto the scene with two badass early KO's and he had the muscles, the look, the hip hop but still humble midwesterner style. Everyone leaped onto the hype train.
__________________
His helmet was stifling, it narrowed his vision. And he must see far. His shield was heavy. It threw him off balance. And his target is far away.
HexRei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Bad boys bad boys!
 
pauly_j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GY, England
Posts: 2,478
pauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crossespauly_j Is Respected By All He Crosses
I don't know if anyone else noticed, but both of the knees he threw in the first flurry were verging on illegal. And one he gave to Jardine was pretty close. Dude needs to calm down.
__________________
NYBA Champ @ 170!
BEST EVA!
pauly_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
Amateur
 
NGen2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 166
NGen2010 Needs A HugNGen2010 Needs A HugNGen2010 Needs A HugNGen2010 Needs A HugNGen2010 Needs A HugNGen2010 Needs A HugNGen2010 Needs A HugNGen2010 Needs A HugNGen2010 Needs A HugNGen2010 Needs A HugNGen2010 Needs A Hug
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly_j View Post
I don't know if anyone else noticed, but both of the knees he threw in the first flurry were verging on illegal. And one he gave to Jardine was pretty close. Dude needs to calm down.
They were legal, no reason for him to calm down there. Guy wants to end a fight in the first 2 minutes or it seems to be game over for him. The 2 knees he threw were legit and the one against Jardine was clean. Not sure why he should calm down if they are within the rules.

Can you explain how they were "verging on illegal"?
NGen2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
Featherweight
 
Charles Lee Ray's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 977
Charles Lee Ray has a spectacular aura aboutCharles Lee Ray has a spectacular aura aboutCharles Lee Ray has a spectacular aura aboutCharles Lee Ray has a spectacular aura aboutCharles Lee Ray has a spectacular aura aboutCharles Lee Ray has a spectacular aura aboutCharles Lee Ray has a spectacular aura aboutCharles Lee Ray has a spectacular aura aboutCharles Lee Ray has a spectacular aura aboutCharles Lee Ray has a spectacular aura aboutCharles Lee Ray has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGen2010 View Post
They were legal, no reason for him to calm down there. Guy wants to end a fight in the first 2 minutes or it seems to be game over for him. The 2 knees he threw were legit and the one against Jardine was clean. Not sure why he should calm down if they are within the rules.

Can you explain how they were "verging on illegal"?

Both Jarbine and Schaffer had a knee on the floor (making them grounded) when Alexander landed those knees. So they were both illegal.
__________________
"Nothing like a strangulation to get the circulation going."
Charles Lee Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:05 PM   #20 (permalink)
True Grappler
 
IronMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City, New York
Posts: 6,225
IronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A BallerIronMan Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVA>ALL View Post
Guys, I'm not fishing for neg reps, just telling it as it is.

Why the fudge do we even discuss Houston Alexander as though he were a sure thing? What really has this guy ever done?

He's a loser.

I'd be honest, I hate Alexander. I think, like Liddell and Wanderlei Silva, Houston is overrated in the current context of MMA skills.

Please, no neg reps, just an honest discussion.
I've sorta said this already. It's not exactly new.

Of course Houston doesn't have the same level of skills that the other guys have in this sport. I mean, have you seen the videos of him training?

He doesn't work on his wrestling. He doesn't work on his thai skills. He doesn't work on his jiu-jitsu.

He's the James Thompson of the UFC lightheavyweight division. He's a gong-and-dash fighter.

Is he exciting? Yes. But exciting and good are two different things.
__________________


Sig by Toxic

Barnett - Toquinho -Werdum - "Nurmie"
Z. Gurgel - Morango - Rocha - Tiequan
IronMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios