MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos

MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos (http://www.mmaforum.com/)
-   UFC (http://www.mmaforum.com/ufc/)
-   -   If the UFC and Dream Co-promoted and did a Lightwieight Grand Prix....(TAKE 2) (http://www.mmaforum.com/ufc/44010-if-ufc-dream-co-promoted-did-lightwieight-grand-prix-take-2-a.html)

Bonnar426 09-26-2008 11:40 PM

If the UFC and Dream Co-promoted and did a Lightwieight Grand Prix....(TAKE 2)
 
which lightweight would come out on top?

Okay, I'm doing this thread twice! Mainly because my Grand Prix format for the last thread sucked balls and everyone made it a point to let me know LOL!:thumb02: But Seriously, I hope you guys like it better this time.


Now lets say for the sake of argument that one...

1. The event will be held in Japan! Meaning no State Athletic Commissions or the 10-point scoring system!

2. There will be 1 10 minute round and 1 5 minute round!

3. Fights will take place in the ring!

4. the opening round would look something like this....

Sean Sherk vs.
Cao Uno

Tyson Griffin vs.
Joachim Hansen

Clay Guida vs.
Eddie Alvarez

Joe Stevenson vs.
Andre Amade

Nate Diaz vs.
Tatsuya Kawajiri

Melvin Guillard vs.
Shinya Aoki

Kenny Florian vs.
Gesias Cavalcante

Rob Emerson vs.
Mitsuhiro Ishida

BJ Penn vs.
Kotetsu Boku

Marcus Aurelio vs.
Luiz Firmino


Which Lightweight do you think would advance to Round 2? Third Round?

Which two fighters do you think it would come down to and most importantly who do you pick to win the whole thing?

JT42 09-26-2008 11:59 PM

Not sure how the rounds would go because 10 first round matches would leave 5 fighters for the third round so they wouldnt have enough fighters.

But I would pick JZ overall because BJ would have to fight two matches in one night in the finale and I think JZ would outwork him

bbjd7 09-27-2008 12:03 AM

Sherk, Griffin, Alvarez, Kawajiri, Aoki, JZ, Ishida, BJ, Aurelio. And while I don't want to say it Stevenson would beat Dida most likely.

However If Stevenson doesn't respect Dida's power he will be KO'd round 1 no doubt. He would be better off not even trying to set up his shots just shoot in and take Dida down.

ean6789 09-27-2008 02:05 AM

An update to a bracket made a month ago:

Championship Bracket

Round of 16

(1) BJ Penn vs. (16) Andre Dida
-------------------------------------------------------------> (1) BJ Penn vs. (8)Joachim Hansen
(9)Tyson Griffin vs. (8)Joachim Hansen

(5) Shinya Aoki vs. (12) Joe Stevenson
-------------------------------------------------------------> (5) Shinya Aoki vs. (4) Sean Sherk
(13) Clay Guida vs. (4) Sean Sherk

(3) Eddie Alvarez vs. (14) Gray Maynard
-------------------------------------------------------------> (3) Eddie Alvarez vs. (6) Tatsuya Kawajiri
(6) Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. (11) Frankie Edgar

(7) Gesias Calvancante vs. (10) Kenny Florian
-------------------------------------------------------------> (7) Gesias Calvancante vs. (2) Takanori Gomi
(15) Roger Huerta vs. (2) Takanori Gomi

Quarter Finals

(1) BJ Penn vs. (8)Joachim Hansen
------------------------------------------------------------->(1) BJ Penn vs. (5) Shinya Aoki
(5) Shinya Aoki vs. (4) Sean Sherk

(3) Eddie Alvarez vs. (6) Tatsuya Kawajiri
------------------------------------------------------------->(6) Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. (2) Takanori Gomi
(7) Gesias Calvancante vs. (2) Takanori Gomi

Semi Finals

(1) BJ Penn vs. (5) Shinya Aoki
------------------------------------------------------------->(1) BJ Penn vs. (6) Tatsuya Kawajiri
(6) Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. (2) Takanori Gomi

Finals

(1) BJ Penn vs. (6) Tatsuya Kawajiri
------------------------------------------------------------->BJ Penn LWGP Winner, Tatsuya Kawajiri LWGP 2nd Place


3rd Place Brackets


Quarter Finals

(1) Takanori Gomi vs. (8) Andre Dida
------------------------------------------------------------->(8) Andre Dida vs. (5) Shinya Aoki
(4) Shinya Aoki vs. (5) Gesias Calvancante

(3) Joachim Hansen vs. (6) Sean Sherk
------------------------------------------------------------->(6) Sean Sherk vs. (7) Gray Maynard
(7) Gray Maynard vs. (2) Eddie Alvarez

Semi Finals

(8) Andre Dida vs. (5) Shinya Aoki
-------------------------------------------------------------> (8) Andre Dida vs. (7) Gray Maynard
(6) Sean Sherk vs. (7) Gray Maynard

Finals

(1) Andre Dida vs. (6) Gray Maynard
------------------------------------------------------------->(6) Gray Maynard LWGP 3rd Place

Notice how I set it up so Dida din't face any wrestlers til the finals haha :thumb02: No bias there :confused05:

bbjd7 09-27-2008 10:59 AM

I like it Ean I defiantly could see Dida beating both Aoki who's stand up isn't good and Gomi who keeps his hands way to low and Dida has too much power to do that against.

I think he would also beat Florian and Hansen.

ean6789 09-27-2008 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbjd7 (Post 670802)
I like it Ean I defiantly could see Dida beating both Aoki who's stand up isn't good and Gomi who keeps his hands way to low and Dida has too much power to do that against.

I think he would also beat Florian and Hansen.

Ya dida would stand an excellent chance against the strikers but once it got to most of the UFC guys (who are primarily wrestlers) i hate to say it but Dida would be so screwed.

rockybalboa25 09-27-2008 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnar426 (Post 670634)
which lightweight would come out on top?

Okay, I'm doing this thread twice! Mainly because my Grand Prix format for the last thread sucked balls and everyone made it a point to let me know LOL!:thumb02: But Seriously, I hope you guys like it better this time.


Now lets say for the sake of argument that one...

1. The event will be held in Japan! Meaning no State Athletic Commissions or the 10-point scoring system!

2. There will be 1 10 minute round and 1 5 minute round!

3. Fights will take place in the ring!

4. the opening round would look something like this....

Sean Sherk vs.
Cao Uno

Tyson Griffin vs.
Joachim Hansen

Clay Guida vs.
Eddie Alvarez

Joe Stevenson vs.
Andre Amade

Nate Diaz vs.
Tatsuya Kawajiri

Melvin Guillard vs.
Shinya Aoki

Kenny Florian vs.
Gesias Cavalcante

Rob Emerson vs.
Mitsuhiro Ishida

BJ Penn vs.
Kotetsu Boku

Marcus Aurelio vs.
Luiz Firmino


Which Lightweight do you think would advance to Round 2? Third Round?

Which two fighters do you think it would come down to and most importantly who do you pick to win the whole thing?

Round 1 winners

Sherk
Hansen
Alvarez
Stevenson
Kawajiri
Aoki
Florian
Ishida
Penn
Marcus Aurelio

Round 2 winners

Hansen
Alvarez
Kawajiri
Aoki
Penn
Aurelio (bye)

Round 3 winners

Alvarez
Aoki
Penn

Round 4 winners

Alvarez
Penn (bye)

Champ
Penn

SlaveTrade 09-28-2008 03:13 AM

Penn winning a GP doesn't sound realistic.

He is skilled but when it comes to a GP, cardio is a key factor.

My pick would be Sherk or Gomi.

Probably Gomi.

GodlyMoose 09-28-2008 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlaveTrade (Post 671208)
Penn winning a GP doesn't sound realistic.

He is skilled but when it comes to a GP, cardio is a key factor.

My pick would be Sherk or Gomi.

Probably Gomi.

It's a shame that Gomi isn't in DREAM though. We also don't how Penn's current cardio is.

N1 09-28-2008 04:32 AM

ill bet my money on alvarez. i seriously think hes the best LW at the moment.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.8 , Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2