Kongo thinks he has more to lose than Lesnar..... for now - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 10-03-2008, 03:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned
 
Suizida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 992
Suizida is just really niceSuizida is just really niceSuizida is just really niceSuizida is just really niceSuizida is just really niceSuizida is just really niceSuizida is just really niceSuizida is just really niceSuizida is just really niceSuizida is just really niceSuizida is just really nice
Kongo thinks he has more to lose than Lesnar..... for now

http://www.mmabay.co.uk/Story%20Kongohasmoretolose.html

Quote:
n an exclusive interview with Mmabay, UFC heavyweight contender, Cheick Kongo said that as things stand today in the division, any fight between him and Brock Lesnar would greatly benefit the Minneapolis native and not the recent Wolfslair signing.

When asked about the promotions push behind Lesnar over the past year and if he feels some what overlooked by the UFC, Kongo said:

“It’s a good thing, you know (the signing of Lesnar). I just need to be ready. You can’t make this kind of decision quickly (to fight Lesnar), but I’m ready for any fight.”

“People will say if I beat Brock Lesnar, he’s a debut (new) in UFC, but if that’s reversed people will say, whoa he beat Cheick Kongo, that’s an impressive victory.”

“That’s why I prefer to take my time, let him improve, give him some more fights and after that it should be interesting.”

As we EXCLUSIVELY revealed, Kongo will be back in action at UFC 92 on December 27th and although there has been no official announcement from either the UFC or his camp, it is widely expected to be against recent British signing Mustafa Al-Turk.

By Michael Pepper.
My utter hatred towards Cheick Kongo knows no bounds, I don't know who he thinks he is, but he is NOT a good fighter, and no-one will be impressed when Brock pummels your head into the ground, since your ground game is non-existant....
Suizida is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 10-03-2008, 03:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
All Around Nice Guy
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
 
SideWays222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,694
SideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSideWays222 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suizida View Post
http://www.mmabay.co.uk/Story%20Kongohasmoretolose.html



My utter hatred towards Cheick Kongo knows no bounds, I don't know who he thinks he is, but he is NOT a good fighter, and no-one will be impressed when Brock pummels your head into the ground, since your ground game is non-existant....
Couple of things is wrong with this.

1. Alot of people will be impressed, not mmaforum members but your avereage joe. I know that if Brock beats Kongo my mma buddies would think that brock is unbeatable.

2. Kongo beat heath herring pretty easiley someone you lost yo kongo. I dont think people will give you no credit if you beat Brock Lesnar.

3. LMAO give Brock a few fights to improve?? he would already bash your skull in. If you give him some time to improve he might just literary eat you in the cage.


On a different note.

MMABAY is dumb
their news is unreliable and alot of the times false.

didnt mmaforum ban mmabay news posting?

Last edited by SideWays222 : 10-03-2008 at 03:34 AM.
SideWays222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Light Heavyweight
 
Biowza's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,475
Blog Entries: 1
Biowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A Baller
Before everyone goes into Kongo's ground game let me just say:

Stop

We all know how this turns out, whenever someone says Kongo is a terrible fighter or that he has no ground game at all, it always goes down the same path:

-Statement that 'Kongo sucks'
-I show why he doesn't
-'But he doesnt have a ground game'
-I show why he does
-Thread dies

Its the same thing over and over. I'm not trying to kill the thread, by all means discuss, but if you're going to hate on Kongo at least admit that you have no good reason to.
Biowza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned
 
Suizida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 992
Suizida is just really niceSuizida is just really niceSuizida is just really niceSuizida is just really niceSuizida is just really niceSuizida is just really niceSuizida is just really niceSuizida is just really niceSuizida is just really niceSuizida is just really niceSuizida is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biowza View Post
Before everyone goes into Kongo's ground game let me just say:

Stop

We all know how this turns out, whenever someone says Kongo is a terrible fighter or that he has no ground game at all, it always goes down the same path:

-Statement that 'Kongo sucks'
-I show why he doesn't
-'But he doesnt have a ground game'
-I show why he does
-Thread dies

Its the same thing over and over. I'm not trying to kill the thread, by all means discuss, but if you're going to hate on Kongo at least admit that you have no good reason to.
Ok, in simple terms he is the most boring fighter in the UFC imo. I still haven't his ground game. I was not impressed by his performances on the ground, and i think his stand up is over rated. He beat an uninspired Cro Cop, (with of course using the shots to the nutz, seems to be a favoured technique against him). I thought his fight with Herring was shit boring and don't get me started on his fight at UFC 67. His last win was against Dan Evesen, and he wants a title shot . Has an interview saying he's 5-2 in the UFC and deserves a shot, you don't go from an undercard fight and being 1-1 in 2008 to getting a title shot. The fighters he has fought have favoured him..he gets a lot of stand up fighters, and choosed to lay with them on the ground. You put him against the cream of the crop in the UFC HW division, and most people will tell you the best ones are BJJ freaks (Mir, Werdum, Gonzaga and Noguiera) and all of them have pretty solid stand up, (with the exception of Mir) and now Randy's back who would put Kongo on his back with ease, and Brock Lesnar would surely do the same thing....The UFC are trying to build him up, but he'll never be anywhere near the belt unless he improves his ground game drastically, not to the point where he just lays there...

End rant
Suizida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
mrmyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 812
mrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura aboutmrmyz has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideWays222 View Post
Couple of things is wrong with this.

1. Alot of people will be impressed, not mmaforum members but your avereage joe. I know that if Brock beats Kongo my mma buddies would think that brock is unbeatable.

2. Kongo beat heath herring pretty easiley someone you lost yo kongo. I dont think people will give you no credit if you beat Brock Lesnar.

3. LMAO give Brock a few fights to improve?? he would already bash your skull in. If you give him some time to improve he might just literary eat you in the cage.


On a different note.

MMABAY is dumb
their news is unreliable and alot of the times false.

didnt mmaforum ban mmabay news posting?
kong would get tooled by lesnar. kongo is a pretty good kick boxer but in terms of MMA he sucks. He is as bad as houston alexander when it comes to a ground game. Lesnar would just have to take him down and then he could have his way with him.
__________________
MMA Pics Record
15 - 4 - 1
mrmyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Light Heavyweight
 
Biowza's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,475
Blog Entries: 1
Biowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suizida View Post
Ok, in simple terms he is the most boring fighter in the UFC imo.
I honestly do not see how, three of his fights in the UFC have ended in KO or TKO. I could maybe understand you saying that his fight against Assuerio Silva or Carmelo Marrero was boring but that's just about it. Three KO/TKO's and good fights against Crocop and Herring. I'd like you to be more specific what was boring about his fights, Crocop was a fun schooling and Herring was all over the place in terms of ground and stand up.

Quote:
I still haven't his ground game. I was not impressed by his performances on the ground, and i think his stand up is over rated.
Wait, what? He won the world muay thai championship in 2004 and his stand-up is overrated? If anything, its underrated. How many times do I have to say this about his ground game, IT IS NOT THAT BAD. He hasn't been finished on the ground ONCE in the UFC (Or ever, really). He isn't going to be throwing round omoplatas and whatnot any time soon (although he has won by submission before) but his ground game isn't even close to being as bad as people on this forum make it out to be. If it was even half as bad as people say it is, he would have been EASILY finished, a long, long, long time ago.


Quote:
He beat an uninspired Cro Cop, (with of course using the shots to the nutz, seems to be a favoured technique against him).
Uninspired? According to cro cop he has in the best fighting shape of his life. He had apparently bought a cage especially for the fight and everything. Even die hard Cro cop nuthuggers say that the first round looked like their boy was back. It's too bad Crocop has no heart as of late, because he left that fight a broken man. I thought the talk about the shots to the groin was over but clearly it isn't, nor will it ever be. Crocop was given 'as much time as he needed', he barely took one minute, he was fine.


Quote:
His last win was against Dan Evesen, and he wants a title shot . Has an interview saying he's 5-2 in the UFC and deserves a shot, you don't go from an undercard fight and being 1-1 in 2008 to getting a title shot.
I'm not going to defend his saying he wants a title shot, I don't personally think he deserves one after a win over such a can. But show me a fighter who doesn't want a title shot, Kongo is merely saying what every fighter thinks.

Quote:
The fighters he has fought have favoured him..he gets a lot of stand up fighters, and choosed to lay with them on the ground.
Wait what? Since when does he get a lot of stand-up fighters? You must be unfamiliar with his record because most of his opponents in the UFC have actually been GROUND fighters. Wellisch, Marrero, Silva, and Herring (arguable), are GROUND fighters. Not to mention nearly everyone Kongo has fought since Marrero was apparently going to 'finish Kongo in the first' (according to most people here).

Quote:
You put him against the cream of the crop in the UFC HW division, and most people will tell you the best ones are BJJ freaks (Mir, Werdum, Gonzaga and Noguiera) and all of them have pretty solid stand up, (with the exception of Mir) and now Randy's back who would put Kongo on his back with ease, and Brock Lesnar would surely do the same thing....The UFC are trying to build him up, but he'll never be anywhere near the belt unless he improves his ground game drastically, not to the point where he just lays there...
Well did I say he is contender material? Nah I didn't, but it is just stupid to call him a terrible fighter. He has the best stand-up in the HW division (imo) and is constantly improving on the ground. I mean watch his fight against Marrero then watch his fight against Herring, then tell me with a straight face that his ground game hasn't improved.
Biowza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned
 
Suizida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 992
Suizida is just really niceSuizida is just really niceSuizida is just really niceSuizida is just really niceSuizida is just really niceSuizida is just really niceSuizida is just really niceSuizida is just really niceSuizida is just really niceSuizida is just really niceSuizida is just really nice
Im not saying his ground game needs to be throwing omoplata's and all that junk, but his inability to do anything on the ground is what makes me sick. Laying on Silva is not an impressive win and neither was his SD loss to Herring, but it is true that the Herring was doing the same thing. And herring is deff not a ground fighter, at least not with knees to the head from the NS position, w/o them he seems really lost.

Haven't seen the Wellisch fight, Marrero he lost, Silva fight was garbage.
I didn't say that you said he's top contender material, i simply am saying that he never will be.

Herring Kongo fight was not fun, it was all just boring side-control, with both fighters.

And im still saying that when he faces the cream of the crop he will face the elite ground fighters, and i still think that his stand up isn't that great, regardless of his credentials.

How can you say Cro Cop was looking like his old self in that fight?? honestly, in the words of Brock Lesnar except in reverse "If the Mirko Cro Cop of old fought the Mirko Cro Cop of now.....I'd win"
Suizida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Light Heavyweight
 
Biowza's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,475
Blog Entries: 1
Biowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suizida View Post
Im not saying his ground game needs to be throwing omoplata's and all that junk, but his inability to do anything on the ground is what makes me sick. Laying on Silva is not an impressive win and neither was his SD loss to Herring, but it is true that the Herring was doing the same thing. And herring is deff not a ground fighter, at least not with knees to the head from the NS position, w/o them he seems really lost.
I wouldn't say Herring is definitely not a ground fighter (16 submission wins) but I do concede that it is arguable. You have to understand that there is no reason for Kongo to be going for submissions like a mad man. Just like it would be stupid for someone like Werdum to try and bang with, say, Herring. Or like Nogueira to stand and bang with Tim Sylvia. I don't think Kongo's ground game will ever be an offensive one in that it will always have the primary goal of getting him back to what he does best. Stand up. Just like a BJJ guy's stand up works to get the fight to the ground, Kongo's ground game works to get him back to his feet. If you're referring to Kongo not doing anything to Herring while on the ground you seriously have to watch the fight again, look at Herring's face.



Quote:
Haven't seen the Wellisch fight, Marrero he lost, Silva fight was garbage.
Marrero he lost, but he got up REPEATEDLY. Actually come to think of it, the only times he has lost in the UFC has been via split decision. Silva fight wasn't that bad, it might not have been the most exciting fight, but that shouldn't count towards Silva still being a ground fighter.

Quote:
I didn't say that you said he's top contender material, i simply am saying that he never will be.

And im still saying that when he faces the cream of the crop he will face the elite ground fighters, and i still think that his stand up isn't that great, regardless of his credentials.
I know that Kongo isn't there yet, but I don't see any reason why he would get totally dominated by the guys you mentioned. He is capable of KO'ing all of those guys (maybe not Nogueia, a truck couldn't stop that guy), and with more work on his take down defense, he could make a contest out of most fights (again, except Nog).

Quote:
How can you say Cro Cop was looking like his old self in that fight?? honestly, in the words of Brock Lesnar except in reverse "If the Mirko Cro Cop of old fought the Mirko Cro Cop of now.....I'd win"
You're thinking of the fight from the present point of view. AT THE TIME, Crocop, he said himself, was motivated. If his heart breaks down in the middle of the fight because he is losing then bad luck, that's his problem. You can't say 'that wasn't the same Cro Cop' just because he looked terrible ONCE KONGO HAD BEAT HIM. Look at the first round, I repeat, even the die-hard CC nuthuggers were saying the first round gave them a sense that CC was back.
Biowza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
ASS MAN
 
Walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 6,062
Walker Is Future HOF MaterialWalker Is Future HOF MaterialWalker Is Future HOF MaterialWalker Is Future HOF MaterialWalker Is Future HOF MaterialWalker Is Future HOF MaterialWalker Is Future HOF MaterialWalker Is Future HOF MaterialWalker Is Future HOF MaterialWalker Is Future HOF MaterialWalker Is Future HOF Material
I think that that there are waaaay more boing fighters in the UFC than Kongo. The list is too long so I won't even go into it. Plus they are a lot of fighters that have holes in their games- a lot of people here love on BJJ experts but their stand-up looks like they are trying to play patty-cake with their opponents.

I won't say that Kongo is as exciting as Spencer Fisher in the stand-up but I loves me some Spencer but I don't want his fights to go to the ground, like, ever. Watching the Fisher/Edgar fight was one of the most frustrating fights I've watched(obviously I was rooting for Spencer) because Edgar just kept taking Spencer down and holding him there. The few times the fight was standing I was screaming "Now go git 'em Spence!!!"- then another takedown.
__________________
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 391
Clivey will become famous soon enoughClivey will become famous soon enoughClivey will become famous soon enoughClivey will become famous soon enoughClivey will become famous soon enoughClivey will become famous soon enoughClivey will become famous soon enoughClivey will become famous soon enoughClivey will become famous soon enoughClivey will become famous soon enoughClivey will become famous soon enough
Yeah I agree, Kongo is exciting to watch in comparison to other fighters in his division, heath herring etc
Clivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios