How would Anderson Silva do against the following HWs... - Page 9 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 10-13-2008, 12:16 PM   #81 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Spain
Posts: 491
valrond is a jewel in the roughvalrond is a jewel in the roughvalrond is a jewel in the roughvalrond is a jewel in the roughvalrond is a jewel in the roughvalrond is a jewel in the roughvalrond is a jewel in the roughvalrond is a jewel in the roughvalrond is a jewel in the roughvalrond is a jewel in the roughvalrond is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by xAmRiT View Post
I cant believe some of the things i have read. Silva is a 185 fighter who has beaten a guy whos o.k and 205 and now people say he can beat Arlovski? I think silva would get beaten by fighters at 205 such as Rampage and Machida and people on this forum have wrote he would beat Arlovski, what a joke. Arlovski would Murder him and im sure people like Gonzaga, Werdum, Sylvia, Nog and Lesnar would also murder him. People need to understand weight classes are there for a reason. Just because he walks around at a certain weight does not mean he can be as good at that as he is at his fighting weight.
Weight is only important when the skill is similar. Anderson Silva is more skilled than any HW except for Fedor and Nog, and he's a better striker than any HW.

And I say it again. More weight, more muscles, doesn't make your chin any stronger. Strenght is good for power, but Silva doesn't need any more power, so the strenght difference would only account in things like wrestling or on the ground.

And finally, Couture walks at just a little more than Silva (225 vs 220 pounds) and he has beated bigger opponents like Gonzaga and Sylvia. Anderson would just walk through almost any HW.
valrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 10-13-2008, 03:45 PM   #82 (permalink)
The Count
 
AmRiT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: London
Posts: 1,521
AmRiT is a jewel in the roughAmRiT is a jewel in the roughAmRiT is a jewel in the roughAmRiT is a jewel in the roughAmRiT is a jewel in the roughAmRiT is a jewel in the roughAmRiT is a jewel in the roughAmRiT is a jewel in the roughAmRiT is a jewel in the roughAmRiT is a jewel in the roughAmRiT is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by valrond View Post
Weight is only important when the skill is similar. Anderson Silva is more skilled than any HW except for Fedor and Nog, and he's a better striker than any HW.

And I say it again. More weight, more muscles, doesn't make your chin any stronger. Strenght is good for power, but Silva doesn't need any more power, so the strenght difference would only account in things like wrestling or on the ground.

And finally, Couture walks at just a little more than Silva (225 vs 220 pounds) and he has beated bigger opponents like Gonzaga and Sylvia. Anderson would just walk through almost any HW.
If this was the case why would he not fight at 205 or H/W because the matches at that weight are much bigger for him and he would get paid a hell of a lot more. Weight classes are there for a reason, i dont know how you can compare a 185 guy to people who have fought there whole life at H/W. Believe me also you need more power to knock out a H/W than you would a M/W. The higher the weight class the more power in a punch, science has proved that which then means the H/W's are used to taking alot stronger shots than those at 185. Couture is a small H/W and you will see him get destroyed by Lesnar and as for you to say he could walk through any H/W is just stupid.
__________________
AmRiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:15 PM   #83 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Spain
Posts: 491
valrond is a jewel in the roughvalrond is a jewel in the roughvalrond is a jewel in the roughvalrond is a jewel in the roughvalrond is a jewel in the roughvalrond is a jewel in the roughvalrond is a jewel in the roughvalrond is a jewel in the roughvalrond is a jewel in the roughvalrond is a jewel in the roughvalrond is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by xAmRiT View Post
If this was the case why would he not fight at 205 or H/W because the matches at that weight are much bigger for him and he would get paid a hell of a lot more. Weight classes are there for a reason, i dont know how you can compare a 185 guy to people who have fought there whole life at H/W. Believe me also you need more power to knock out a H/W than you would a M/W. The higher the weight class the more power in a punch, science has proved that which then means the H/W's are used to taking alot stronger shots than those at 185. Couture is a small H/W and you will see him get destroyed by Lesnar and as for you to say he could walk through any H/W is just stupid.

Can you provide any link to that claim?

I guess you didn't watch much boxing, where the chin is a lot more exposed than in MMA. Lighter weight classes have a much lower KO ratio than higher weight classes because of this. You can take hits to the body better with more muscle, but not to the chin or the skull. You can only increase the size of the neck, but that barely helps. Oh, and power alone doesn't do much, technique and precision is a lot more important to KO power.

There are weight classes for a reason, yes, but that doesn't mean that Silva wouldn't destroy those guys.

Why?. Simply, because he's the better MM Artist. He's 6'2'', a normal size for HWs, walks at 220. He could muscle up to 230 easily. He's faster and more precise than any HW. He has the reach of a HW (77.5"). So what, just because Gonzaga is bigger he will beat him? Hell no, he wouldn't even hit Anderson. Same goes for AA. Any HW that is mainly striker has no chance. Only guys that could take him down and keep him there could beat him, but I would only bet on Nog.
valrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:54 PM   #84 (permalink)
Featherweight
 
Charles Lee Ray's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 977
Charles Lee Ray has a spectacular aura aboutCharles Lee Ray has a spectacular aura aboutCharles Lee Ray has a spectacular aura aboutCharles Lee Ray has a spectacular aura aboutCharles Lee Ray has a spectacular aura aboutCharles Lee Ray has a spectacular aura aboutCharles Lee Ray has a spectacular aura aboutCharles Lee Ray has a spectacular aura aboutCharles Lee Ray has a spectacular aura aboutCharles Lee Ray has a spectacular aura aboutCharles Lee Ray has a spectacular aura about
"Lighter weight classes have a much lower KO ratio than higher weight classes because of this."


Thats because you lose knockout power as the fighters get smaller and increase knockout power as the fighters get bigger. Hence why Silva would fail at HW. He would lose his KO power and be much more sccuptable to KOs being that he has never been hit by a 250 pound striker.
__________________
"Nothing like a strangulation to get the circulation going."
Charles Lee Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:57 PM   #85 (permalink)
On a Rampage
 
rockybalboa25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,845
Blog Entries: 1
rockybalboa25 Is Destined For Greatnessrockybalboa25 Is Destined For Greatnessrockybalboa25 Is Destined For Greatnessrockybalboa25 Is Destined For Greatnessrockybalboa25 Is Destined For Greatnessrockybalboa25 Is Destined For Greatnessrockybalboa25 Is Destined For Greatnessrockybalboa25 Is Destined For Greatnessrockybalboa25 Is Destined For Greatnessrockybalboa25 Is Destined For Greatnessrockybalboa25 Is Destined For Greatness
Quote:
Originally Posted by valrond View Post
Can you provide any link to that claim?

I guess you didn't watch much boxing, where the chin is a lot more exposed than in MMA. Lighter weight classes have a much lower KO ratio than higher weight classes because of this. You can take hits to the body better with more muscle, but not to the chin or the skull. You can only increase the size of the neck, but that barely helps. Oh, and power alone doesn't do much, technique and precision is a lot more important to KO power.

There are weight classes for a reason, yes, but that doesn't mean that Silva wouldn't destroy those guys.

Why?. Simply, because he's the better MM Artist. He's 6'2'', a normal size for HWs, walks at 220. He could muscle up to 230 easily. He's faster and more precise than any HW. He has the reach of a HW (77.5"). So what, just because Gonzaga is bigger he will beat him? Hell no, he wouldn't even hit Anderson. Same goes for AA. Any HW that is mainly striker has no chance. Only guys that could take him down and keep him there could beat him, but I would only bet on Nog.
As far as boxing, you're wrong. The reason there is a higher percentage of knockouts in the Heavyweight division is the power of the punches heavyweights throw. If you want to use a boxing analogy, do you think that Floyd Mayweather could beat guys in the heavyweight division? The wouldn't touch him right? They'd only have to hit him once. As far as Gonzaga, he take him down and that would be the end of it. Also if Silva bulks up, he will lose some of his speed. Also Silva's power would not be as effective against the Heavyweight. Heavyweight are used to getting hit by heavyweight power. Middleweight power is going to drop somebody like AA, like it would Chris Leben. Another point is that Silva uses the clinch very well, because he is taller than all his other opponents. How exactly would the Spider get Arlovski into the clinch?
rockybalboa25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:09 PM   #86 (permalink)
Featherweight
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 1,065
zarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant futurezarny has a brilliant future
I think people need to be a bit more realistic.

Silva is arguably the best p4p fighter; but weight is a great equalizer.

There is a reason they have weight classes.

I think Silva would certainly be competitive in every fight; but if Travis Lutter can get mount I'm pretty sure Randy Couture, Gabe Gonzaga, Arlovski, Lesnar, Nog and all the rest have a shot.

Well maybe not Hardonk.
zarny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:48 PM   #87 (permalink)
The Count
 
AmRiT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: London
Posts: 1,521
AmRiT is a jewel in the roughAmRiT is a jewel in the roughAmRiT is a jewel in the roughAmRiT is a jewel in the roughAmRiT is a jewel in the roughAmRiT is a jewel in the roughAmRiT is a jewel in the roughAmRiT is a jewel in the roughAmRiT is a jewel in the roughAmRiT is a jewel in the roughAmRiT is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by valrond View Post
Can you provide any link to that claim?

I guess you didn't watch much boxing, where the chin is a lot more exposed than in MMA. Lighter weight classes have a much lower KO ratio than higher weight classes because of this. You can take hits to the body better with more muscle, but not to the chin or the skull. You can only increase the size of the neck, but that barely helps. Oh, and power alone doesn't do much, technique and precision is a lot more important to KO power.

There are weight classes for a reason, yes, but that doesn't mean that Silva wouldn't destroy those guys.

Why?. Simply, because he's the better MM Artist. He's 6'2'', a normal size for HWs, walks at 220. He could muscle up to 230 easily. He's faster and more precise than any HW. He has the reach of a HW (77.5"). So what, just because Gonzaga is bigger he will beat him? Hell no, he wouldn't even hit Anderson. Same goes for AA. Any HW that is mainly striker has no chance. Only guys that could take him down and keep him there could beat him, but I would only bet on Nog.
lol sorry all i can do is be amused by what your saying. Anderson Silva is quick at 185 because of how much weight he is carrying, naturally the heavier you are the slower you become. This means the higher his weight is the slower he is, i cant provide a link but thats just common sense so an educated person should know that.

As far as your boxing comment goes that again is ridiculous. I have watched boxing for years and still do and the lighter the fighter is the less power he has in his shot, yes technique is extremly important but if thers no power behind a punch then how can you knock someone out?

Someone such as Gonzaga would destroy silva standing up simply because Silva wouldnt have seen the sort of power Gonzaga can offer as a result of his weight. Unless your telling me Rich franklin hits harder than a H/W such as Gonzaga............And also Arlovski would murder him, you need to gets of Anderson silva's nuts and realise that there are people who can beat him especially those at the heavier weight classes
__________________
AmRiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:49 PM   #88 (permalink)
It's a league game, Smokey
 
Ape City's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Planet of the Apes
Posts: 7,024
Ape City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings SystemApe City Is Beyond A Rankings System
A. Silva may not have the knockout power of a a heavyweight, but he has enough power to knock someone out. As discussed in previous posts being a heavyweight adds to your KO power, but doesn not increase your chin (unless you consider exposure to heavier shots a way to improve your chin, which it is, but that is not the point most of you seem to be making) at all.

Just as the human heart does not grow very much bigger for a bigger human being, the amount of power it takes to snap someones jaw is not heavily influenced by the size of their body. Someone like Cro Cop or Arlovski is just as likely be knocked out from a punch that measures 7.5 (on my imaginary scale) as someone like Marquartd or Leben. The strength of the punch and the individuals chin is what matters. What makes you think the size of their biceps, chest, thighs, and shoulders is going to effect how strong a punc they can take?

A. Silva has enough power to knock out any heavyweight that is capable of being knocked out. You don't need to have insane power to get a KO, you need to hit the right spot.

Does this mean A. Silva will KO Lesnar? Nog? Maybe noone has the power to KO these guys. But if people think that Couture has a better chance to KO Lesnar than A. Silva just because he enters the ring 40lbs heavier...

...well then I don't know what to think.

Maybe some of you should go take a few shots from Bj Penn and tell me if he has no KO power because he is 155.
__________________
mad props: Toxic
Ape City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:12 PM   #89 (permalink)
Featherweight
 
Charles Lee Ray's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 977
Charles Lee Ray has a spectacular aura aboutCharles Lee Ray has a spectacular aura aboutCharles Lee Ray has a spectacular aura aboutCharles Lee Ray has a spectacular aura aboutCharles Lee Ray has a spectacular aura aboutCharles Lee Ray has a spectacular aura aboutCharles Lee Ray has a spectacular aura aboutCharles Lee Ray has a spectacular aura aboutCharles Lee Ray has a spectacular aura aboutCharles Lee Ray has a spectacular aura aboutCharles Lee Ray has a spectacular aura about
"As discussed in previous posts being a heavyweight adds to your KO power, but doesn not increase your chin"


The bigger you are the more of a punch you can take. A 250 pound fighter will be able to absorb more punishment and take a greater punch than a 150 pound fighter. Its simple physics and genetics.
__________________
"Nothing like a strangulation to get the circulation going."
Charles Lee Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:16 PM   #90 (permalink)
Super Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,079
dontazo Is True Champion Of Knowledgedontazo Is True Champion Of Knowledgedontazo Is True Champion Of Knowledgedontazo Is True Champion Of Knowledgedontazo Is True Champion Of Knowledgedontazo Is True Champion Of Knowledgedontazo Is True Champion Of Knowledgedontazo Is True Champion Of Knowledgedontazo Is True Champion Of Knowledgedontazo Is True Champion Of Knowledgedontazo Is True Champion Of Knowledge
Quote:
Originally Posted by xAmRiT View Post
lol sorry all i can do is be amused by what your saying. Anderson Silva is quick at 185 because of how much weight he is carrying, naturally the heavier you are the slower you become. This means the higher his weight is the slower he is, i cant provide a link but thats just common sense so an educated person should know that.

As far as your boxing comment goes that again is ridiculous. I have watched boxing for years and still do and the lighter the fighter is the less power he has in his shot, yes technique is extremly important but if thers no power behind a punch then how can you knock someone out?

Someone such as Gonzaga would destroy silva standing up simply because Silva wouldnt have seen the sort of power Gonzaga can offer as a result of his weight. Unless your telling me Rich franklin hits harder than a H/W such as Gonzaga............And also Arlovski would murder him, you need to gets of Anderson silva's nuts and realise that there are people who can beat him especially those at the heavier weight classes
alexander emelianenko will kill silva
dontazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios