I have seen a lot of hate for Lesnar lately. People saying that he's not that good. I thought I'd look at the odds of him beatting the top 10 (IMO, please don't go nuts, because I left someone out that is near and dear to you're heart, or if you don't like the order)
10. Cro Cop- 10-1 Lesnar. With Cro Cop's diminished skills and weakness on the ground, I don't see Lesnar having much trouble
9. Rothwell- 5-1 Lesnar. Rothwell would get easily ground and pounded.
8. Gonzaga- 3-2 Lesnar. I think this would be an interesting battle. Gonzaga would end up on his back, but he has a real chance of submitting Lesnar from there.
7. Werdum- 3-2 Werdum. I think that this fight is similar to Gonzaga, but Werdum is a little better.
6. Syliva- 2-1 Lesnar. A little harder for Lesnar to shoot against Sylvia's height, but I think he gets the takedown and wins.
5. Arlovski- 3-1 Lesnar. Remember Arlovski almost getting pounded out by o'brien? Lesnar would have no problem.
4. Barnett- 2-1 Barnett. Barnett's wrestling ability would benefit him greatly. Plus he has good submissions.
3. Couture- 3-2 Couture. Couture's wrestling and elusiveness could be used to keep the fight standing. Couture proved he could box against Sylvia.
2. NOG- 3-1 NOG. NOG submits Lesnar, bottomline
1. Fedor- 2-1 Fedor. Fedor's lack of wrestling is going to give him some problems. I think Fedor might be able knock Lesnar out on his feet before he gets the chance to shoot, or submit him from the bottom.
What do you guys think?
I'd agree with you for the most part, except...
I'd favor Gonzaga and Tim over Lesnar. Gonzaga would Sub Brock and I think Tim would KO him. Brock has looked powerful and fast, but his wrestling hasn't looked as great as I had initially thought (before re-watching). It's not very technically sound; he kind of just bowls people over with his massive size.
Looking at the fight against Mir, Lesnar pretty much caught a kick and shoulder-checked him. Against Herring, Lesnar shot 3 times. The first time, he was already bombing forward, so his momentum was there even if it lacked finesse. In his other 2 shots, he had no penetration. He just hugged Herring's waist and yanked out his legs.
Plus, right now, I don't have too much faith in Brock's wind. After riding Herring out for 3 rounds, he slowed down a LOT. If somebody actually managed to put some pressure on him, I think that Brock would be pretty beat before the fight is over.
And against somebody tall who is tall and can defend a takedown (like Sylvia) Brock's lackluster shots won't be as effective as they have been thus far. Oh, and I'm pretty sure that Randy will be taking him down.
So how good is Lesnar? For someone with so little experience, he's damned good. He's big, he's strong, he's fast, he's explosive, and he's got a good base. That will create problems for the vast majority of his potential opponents. However, I don't feel that he's where he needs to be in terms of technique. Furthermore, I feel like he's way more of an attribute fighter than a skill fighter. If he wasn't the size of a truck, he wouldn't be any good. (Not that it detracts from him in the grand scheme of things, since he's not getting any smaller.)