Hughes vs Serra Announced - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 01:10 AM
attention whore
 
Damone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Branson, Missouri
Posts: 14,445
Blog Entries: 1
                     
I can't wait to see Hughes beat the living hell out of Matt Serra.

He should beat the shit out of Serra and then retire with a win. I love me some Matt Hughes.

Damone is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
Posts: 529
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damone View Post
I can't wait to see Hughes beat the living hell out of Matt Serra.

He should beat the shit out of Serra and then retire with a win. I love me some Matt Hughes.
I am 100% with you. Hughes is living for 1 more fight. Serra is the victim.

Matt Hughes said that his wife told him not to stop until Serra's blood was all over the mat. Now that is hilarious.
RaisingCajun is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 03:46 PM
Featherweight
 
Diokhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,492
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisingCajun View Post
I am 100% with you. Hughes is living for 1 more fight. Serra is the victim.

Matt Hughes said that his wife told him not to stop until Serra's blood was all over the mat. Now that is hilarious.
I don't see that happening, well maybe Serra gets cut and there'll be some blood, but I see Serra retiring Hughes with a nasty (T)KO.

"When I land that left hook, the fight will be over." -Paul Daley (He called it!)
Diokhan is offline  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Heavyweight
 
e-thug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kelowna
Posts: 3,896
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70seven View Post
Sera just lost in GSP's home town and now he's fighting Hughes in his home state. Ouch, suck to be sera, his next fight better in in NY somehow...
Serra loved the roll of 'villian' against GSP, he will relish the thought of beating Hughes in his hometown.

Man im loving this, we havent had a grudge match like this since Ortiz Vs Shamrock, we were due for one of these.
e-thug is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
Posts: 529
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diokhan View Post
I don't see that happening, well maybe Serra gets cut and there'll be some blood, but I see Serra retiring Hughes with a nasty (T)KO.
You have to be kidding me.

In the past 7 years, Serra has one win by KO and one win by submission. Serra KOed GSP with a very lucky spinning back fist. I would have to so that it was the luckiest knockout in UFC history. The submission win was against Kelly Dullanty in 2002.

Now you expect Serra to KO Hughes. NEVER!
RaisingCajun is offline  
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 09:37 PM
Featherweight
 
Diokhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,492
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisingCajun View Post
You have to be kidding me.

In the past 7 years, Serra has one win by KO and one win by submission. Serra KOed GSP with a very lucky spinning back fist. I would have to so that it was the luckiest knockout in UFC history. The submission win was against Kelly Dullanty in 2002.

Now you expect Serra to KO Hughes. NEVER!
Except it wasn't a spinning backfist he KOed GSP with, and far from "lucky". He landed a hit, rocked GSP with it and finished him. He dropped Penn with a punch too just wasn't able to finish him after that.
Do I think his win against GSP was an upset win? yes. was it Lucky? no.

Hughes isn't as good as he used to be. Serra's stand up is pretty solid and he hits hard. He may not have the best foot work or head movement, but compared to Hughes his stand up is ahead alot.
Serra has been subbed 0 times during his whole career, defensively his BJJ is one of the best in UFC, offensively its pretty average because he isn't the best wrestler around which helps with the positioning alot. Its still good enough to sub or atlest sweep Hughes if Hughes gets a take down

So yeah back to my prediction; Serra by (T)KO. If Hughes wins it'll be by close 29-28 decision.

"When I land that left hook, the fight will be over." -Paul Daley (He called it!)
Diokhan is offline  
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 09:42 PM
attention whore
 
Damone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Branson, Missouri
Posts: 14,445
Blog Entries: 1
                     
Actually, Penn slipped, it wasn't the punch that knocked him down.

But, Serra does hit hard, but that's not going to matter, since Serra's takedown defense sucks and Hughes will get him down and pwn him on the ground. Hughes by beatdown, second fight with Newton style.

Damone is offline  
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 10:06 PM
-NOW YOU SLEEP-

 
_RIVAL_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cal-State South Annex
Posts: 10,893
                     
I really wish this fight would have happend sooner.

I can't seem to get pumped this time around. Maybe the feeling will come back to me in a few months.


----> WWW.MMAFORUM.COM <----



_RIVALS TOP 10

ANDERSON "THE SPIDER" SILVA
JAKE SHIELDS
NICK DIAZ
EDDIE ALVAREZ
JUNIOR "CIGANO" DOS SANTOS
GILBERT MELENDEZ
MAMED "THE CANNIBAL" KHALIDOV
HECTOR "SHANGO" LOMBARD
CAIN VELASQUEZ
GEGARD "THE DREAM CATCHER" MOUSASI
_RIVAL_ is offline  
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 11:42 PM
Featherweight
 
Diokhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,492
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
I really wish this fight would have happend sooner.

I can't seem to get pumped this time around. Maybe the feeling will come back to me in a few months.
Thats true. and overall I would have wanted Serra to make his move sooner than this. I and alot of others would want Serra to move back down to LW already because thats really his thing. Guys in WW are too big to him and got serious reach advantage. He can and will still clock wins there but he would be more serious contender in LW. Also if he plans to go for GSP vs. Serra 3 he could have done couple other fights before this Hughes fight already, too long wait.

They can and will rehype it when time is closer, but like you I can't get too hyped up about something that is about half a year away.

"When I land that left hook, the fight will be over." -Paul Daley (He called it!)
Diokhan is offline  
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
Posts: 529
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diokhan View Post
Except it wasn't a spinning backfist he KOed GSP with, and far from "lucky". He landed a hit, rocked GSP with it and finished him. He dropped Penn with a punch too just wasn't able to finish him after that.
Do I think his win against GSP was an upset win? yes. was it Lucky? no.

Hughes isn't as good as he used to be. Serra's stand up is pretty solid and he hits hard. He may not have the best foot work or head movement, but compared to Hughes his stand up is ahead alot.
Serra has been subbed 0 times during his whole career, defensively his BJJ is one of the best in UFC, offensively its pretty average because he isn't the best wrestler around which helps with the positioning alot. Its still good enough to sub or atlest sweep Hughes if Hughes gets a take down

So yeah back to my prediction; Serra by (T)KO. If Hughes wins it'll be by close 29-28 decision.
Ok .. you are right. I just watched the replay and it was an overhand right that caught GSP.

Yeah ... Hughes isnt as good as he used to be but he has one good fight left in him. Trust me, Hughes will be ready for this fight.

Serra's BJJ might be good but Hughes has fought better. If Hughes gets Serra in an armbar like he did against Gracie, Serra will tap.

In order to beat Hughes, Serra will have to put him in a coma. Hughes will not stop.
RaisingCajun is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome