Thales Leites Getting a Title Shot - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Featherweight
 
Charles Lee Ray's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 977
                     
Thales Leites Getting a Title Shot

After that quick submission win over Drew McFredies last night does anyone else think Leites has earned a title shot? He now has 5 straight wins which should be enough to get you a shot.


I know Yushin Okami is next in line if he beats Dean Lister but that fight is not until late December. It would also be a few months until Okami can fight again (assuming he wins) after that so why not have Silva fight Leites in the meantime?


Now I don't think he will get one but does anyone think he has earned it?

"Nothing like a strangulation to get the circulation going."
Charles Lee Ray is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Face the Pain
 
Aaronyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 7,021
                     
well, firstly the Nate Marquart fight a complete BS win as he got mauled badly in the last 2 rounds....

with that said, he has zero wins over anyone considered in the top 7 or 8 @ MW
Aaronyman is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Amatuer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 100
 
No a win over Drew McFredies should never get you a title shot imo.

Sure he has a win over Nate also but Nate screwed himself out of that victory with the slam/spike incident.

He needs another win or two against top opposition before he should be considered for a title shot imo.
R.v.B is offline  
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 12:32 PM
Face the Pain
 
Aaronyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 7,021
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.v.B View Post
No a win over Drew McFredies should never get you a title shot imo.

Sure he has a win over Nate also but Nate screwed himself out of that victory with the slam/spike incident.

He needs another win or two against top opposition before he should be considered for a title shot imo.
the slam/spike you speak of played no role in the judges scoring...it was an illegal knee that deducted a point and a bad reffing call by herb dean w/ the elbow to the back of the head
Aaronyman is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 12:36 PM
Amatuer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 100
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronyman View Post
the slam/spike you speak of played no role in the judges scoring...it was an illegal knee that deducted a point and a bad reffing call by herb dean w/ the elbow to the back of the head
Oh yea my bad your right, I remember it now, sorry!

Yea Nate did definitely get screwed by the ref...no way he lost that fight.

And no way does Thales deserve a title shot
R.v.B is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Featherweight
 
Charles Lee Ray's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 977
                     
Who else is left at this piont?


I guess Silva can sit out and wait for Okami but lets say December rolls around and Okami loses. What then? Lister would be in the title picture with a win over Okami but he would likely need another win to get a shot.


The only other possible contender would be Demian Maia if he beats Nate Quarry in November. But again what if he loses?

Bisping is in the mix but he is already booked for the next season of TUF so he is not fighting for several months and he is already fighting the winner of Franklin-Henderson.

So who is left for Silva to defend against?

"Nothing like a strangulation to get the circulation going."
Charles Lee Ray is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Face the Pain
 
Aaronyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 7,021
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Lee Ray View Post
Who else is left at this piont?


I guess Silva can sit out and wait for Okami but lets say December rolls around and Okami loses. What then? Lister would be in the title picture with a win over Okami but he would likely need another win to get a shot.


The only other possible contender would be Demian Maia if he beats Nate Quarry in November. But again what if he loses?

Bisping is in the mix but he is already booked for the next season of TUF so he is not fighting for several months and he is already fighting the winner of Franklin-Henderson.

So who is left for Silva to defend against?
if quarry beats maia, then he's still higher up than leites would be
Aaronyman is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 12:49 PM
Amatuer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 100
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Lee Ray View Post
Who else is left at this piont?


I guess Silva can sit out and wait for Okami but lets say December rolls around and Okami loses. What then? Lister would be in the title picture with a win over Okami but he would likely need another win to get a shot.


The only other possible contender would be Demian Maia if he beats Nate Quarry in November. But again what if he loses?

Bisping is in the mix but he is already booked for the next season of TUF so he is not fighting for several months and he is already fighting the winner of Franklin-Henderson.

So who is left for Silva to defend against?
My guess is that assuming Cote is out injured for a few months, that Anderson will most likely go up and fight someone at 205 again.
R.v.B is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 12:56 PM
The American Psycho
 
Bonnar426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,277
                     
No way does Thales Leites gets a title shot! If he wants to make a case for one he needs to get in the octagon again and beat Nate Marquardt convincingly!

Also, I agree with the poster above me. Send him back to 205 for the moment! Have him fight Luis Cane!

You forget that this isn't just some brutal sport where everyones out to kill each other. Its much more like a game of physical chess.-looney liam
Bonnar426 is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 01:00 PM
Amatuer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 100
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnar426 View Post
No way does Thales Leites gets a title shot! If he wants to make a case for one he needs to get in the octagon again and beat Nate Marquardt convincingly!

Also, I agree with the poster above me. Send him back to 205 for the moment! Have him fight Luis Cane!
Luis Cane would be a good fight for Silva. It would be a great test of his capabilities at the heavier weight class I believe.

I'd still pick Anderson though even with Cane being a tough dude!
R.v.B is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome