which would you rather see? - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

View Poll Results: what would you rather see?
BJ V Alves 18 25.35%
GSP V Alves 53 74.65%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Cry Havoc
 
IcemanCometh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Working in the City.
Posts: 2,912
                     
I went with GSP v. Alves, cuz we know how GSP does against Jitz guys like BJ and Serra, wrestlers like Hughes, Kos, and Fitch. What we have yet to see IMO is GSP vs. a striker like the caliber of Alves and I think that is going to be fun as hell.
IcemanCometh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 03:58 AM
Flyweight
 
Jord -Jitsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 386
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1983 View Post
Agreed...
By the way, Alves looks like the frickin' Hulk in your avatar. Holy cow.

I watched one of his older fights from a few years ago, damn did he put on a lot of muscle.
Thats what steroids will do for ya. Dirty Sted Head
Jord -Jitsu is offline  
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 06:24 AM
attention whore
 
Damone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Branson, Missouri
Posts: 14,445
Blog Entries: 1
                     
GSP vs Alves.

Penn belongs in the LW division.

Damone is offline  
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 09:31 AM
Flyweight
 
smooth810's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Phx, AZ
Posts: 292
                     
All three are great fighters...GSP has the potential to be the greatest fighter ever...Just think if he beats BJ, then Alves, then beats Anderson Silva in a superfight...Handsdown greatest fighter ever imo...

'Life comes at you fast and hard; So do my fists"

My Fab Five

Anderson Silva
Marcus Davis
Brock Lesnar
Randy Couture
Nate Diaz


Fighters I hate
Lyoto Machida..He's like Kalib Starnes with a JAB
Fedor--He's Just Over-Rated
smooth810 is offline  
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 12:09 PM
Welterweight
 
leifdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pennsylvania/Hawaii
Posts: 2,148
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth810 View Post
All three are great fighters...GSP has the potential to be the greatest fighter ever...Just think if he beats BJ, then Alves, then beats Anderson Silva in a superfight...Handsdown greatest fighter ever imo...
Couldn't you just as easily say that about BJ if he won those 3 fights?

Supporting BJ Penn-Joe Lauzon-Brock Lesnar-Anderson Silva-Lyoto Machida
ContactSportsNews365
leifdawg is offline  
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 12:30 PM
Lightweight
Image Hosting by Picoodle.com
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,860
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by leifdawg View Post
Couldn't you just as easily say that about BJ if he won those 3 fights?
BJ doesn't get the opportunity. Dana said he's not giving BJ a shot at Silva no matter how much he bitches and moans about it.
69nites is offline  
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Megaweight
 
jdun11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Everett, MA
Posts: 5,961
Blog Entries: 1
                     
I dont know if BJ would beat Alves but I know for a fact he wouldnt get worked like some of you are saying. BJ has faught much bigger guys before and has held his own against everyone of them. His chin is made of granite and I dont think Alves could finish him. I think BJ has much better hands than Alves, but Id give an edge in kicks and knees to Thiago. Do you really think Alves will finish BJ with leg kicks? Alves couldnt finish Kos, so I dont know how he would finish BJ wou has a MUCH better chin. Kos hurt Thiago a bunch of times in that fight with his boxing and I think BJ could do the same. I really dont know how anyone could say BJ would get killed. He has faught Machida, Hughes in his prime, and GSP all of whom were better fighters than Alves. Ill admit Alves is a tough matchup for BJ and it would be a great fight. But really I have no interest in seeing BJ fight someone that will outweigh him by 30 pounds come fight time anyway. Which is why after the GSP fight, win lose or draw he should go back down to LW and cement his legacy.

I would much rather see him fight GSP. Other than BJ, Alves is the only one at that weight class that has a chance. It would all come down to Alves' take down defense. If he can stay off his back, he has a good chance at finishing GSP. If GSP gets him down, Alves will get smoked.




Mancrushes
1.Shogun
2.BJ
3.Fedor
4.Kos
5.GSP

Im in Porno's
jdun11 is offline  
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 01:00 PM
Lightweight
Image Hosting by Picoodle.com
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,860
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdun11 View Post
I dont know if BJ would beat Alves but I know for a fact he wouldnt get worked like some of you are saying. BJ has faught much bigger guys before and has held his own against everyone of them. His chin is made of granite and I dont think Alves could finish him. I think BJ has much better hands than Alves, but Id give an edge in kicks and knees to Thiago. Do you really think Alves will finish BJ with leg kicks? Alves couldnt finish Kos, so I dont know how he would finish BJ wou has a MUCH better chin. Kos hurt Thiago a bunch of times in that fight with his boxing and I think BJ could do the same. I really dont know how anyone could say BJ would get killed. He has faught Machida, Hughes in his prime, and GSP all of whom were better fighters than Alves. Ill admit Alves is a tough matchup for BJ and it would be a great fight. But really I have no interest in seeing BJ fight someone that will outweigh him by 30 pounds come fight time anyway. Which is why after the GSP fight, win lose or draw he should go back down to LW and cement his legacy.

I would much rather see him fight GSP. Other than BJ, Alves is the only one at that weight class that has a chance. It would all come down to Alves' take down defense. If he can stay off his back, he has a good chance at finishing GSP. If GSP gets him down, Alves will get smoked.
knees are how alves finishes fights good sir.

BJ fought 2 Gracies and Machida as far as big guys go. Both Gracies are smaller than Thiago and machida's the same size. None of them are known to knock people out.
69nites is offline  
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Welterweight
 
leifdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pennsylvania/Hawaii
Posts: 2,148
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69nites View Post
BJ doesn't get the opportunity. Dana said he's not giving BJ a shot at Silva no matter how much he bitches and moans about it.
Never say never, especially in MMA.

Supporting BJ Penn-Joe Lauzon-Brock Lesnar-Anderson Silva-Lyoto Machida
ContactSportsNews365
leifdawg is offline  
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 01:09 PM
Flyweight
Image Hosting by Picoodle.com
 
BhamKiD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: AL, USA
Posts: 250
                     
I voted for BJ vs Alves because that would mean that BJ had already beaten GSP.
BhamKiD is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome