Will Matt Hughes one day be in Royce's shoes? - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Amatuer
 
sxrxnrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 190
 
I have only seen one fight were I noticed some Judo throws, there defanitly is some knowlege in judo that could be useful. But Judo is not going to change the world of MMA. The reason that Royce got out classed by Matt was he allowed he did not fight any good fighters before he fough Matt. Given a couple of warm ups or tomato cans as you might say, he would have done better. I still dont think he could have won but it would have been closer.

Will that samething every happen to Matt - No, Matt is a student of MMA, look how he improved since he got be by BJ. I also dont think Matt will retier and then come back.
sxrxnrr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 542
       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomDanger
Oh bs, thats his game, to survive until they make a mistake.
he did that a lot against bigger fighters so it was understandable, but in the same weight class he was getting man-handled, plus I never saw Royce, EVER, sprawled out, with a fighter mounted on his back pounding the back of his head. In the old days, Matt could have reigned elbows to the back of the head and Royce would have been KTFO
Slick_Fugitive is offline  
post #13 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 05:29 PM
UFC
Amatuer
 
UFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 115
 
...................
UFC is offline  
post #14 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 05:30 PM
Banned
 
AtomDanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NOwhere
Posts: 2,317
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFC
...................

Yeah bro, lets go catch a wave dude

lol sissy
AtomDanger is offline  
post #15 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 05:31 PM
Banned
 
AtomDanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NOwhere
Posts: 2,317
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_Fugitive
he did that a lot against bigger fighters so it was understandable, but in the same weight class he was getting man-handled, plus I never saw Royce, EVER, sprawled out, with a fighter mounted on his back pounding the back of his head. In the old days, Matt could have reigned elbows to the back of the head and Royce would have been KTFO

Ehh, I dont think so.

Hughes has NEVER knocked someone the F out. So....

Newton by slam, but never with strikes
AtomDanger is offline  
post #16 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 05:32 PM
attention whore
 
Damone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Branson, Missouri
Posts: 14,445
Blog Entries: 1
                     
No, because unlike Royce, Hughes always updates his skill. Hughes isn't behind the times.

Whether you like him, or hate him, Hughes is one of the best in the world right now. To say he'd get smashed like Royce did is stupid.

Damone is offline  
post #17 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 05:33 PM
Amatuer
 
sxrxnrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 190
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomDanger
Royce Gracie didn't fall behind the new kind of fighter, he fell behind the new rules. I garentee he would beat Hughes in a no time limit, no holds barred.
I dont think the time limit would have changed things much, but the no holds barred might. Royce is a dirty fighter, I loved when he kept pulling Kimo's hair, in one fight he actually kept choking a guy after he tapped.

I still think Matt would kick his ass though.
sxrxnrr is offline  
post #18 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 05:34 PM
Banned
 
AtomDanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NOwhere
Posts: 2,317
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrxnrr
I dont think the time limit would have changed things much, but the no holds barred might. Royce is a dirty fighter, I loved when he kept pulling Kimo's hair, in one fight he actually kept choking a guy after he tapped.

I still think Matt would kick his ass though.

Yeah, I think no holds barred would, and Royce having a Gi on.
AtomDanger is offline  
post #19 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 542
       
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrxnrr
I have only seen one fight were I noticed some Judo throws, there defanitly is some knowlege in judo that could be useful. But Judo is not going to change the world of MMA. The reason that Royce got out classed by Matt was he allowed he did not fight any good fighters before he fough Matt. Given a couple of warm ups or tomato cans as you might say, he would have done better. I still dont think he could have won but it would have been closer.

Will that samething every happen to Matt - No, Matt is a student of MMA, look how he improved since he got be by BJ. I also dont think Matt will retier and then come back.
Well said,I think Royce being out for so long contributed. Maybe Royce needed to better gauge the level of talent to see where his weaknesses were, probably not the best plan to return to the UFC after 10 years and take on the best fighter in the entire organization. I think Royce was really surprised ... this was not the octagon he remembered
Slick_Fugitive is offline  
post #20 of 94 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 05:37 PM
MMA Patriot
 
americanfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: louisville ky
Posts: 4,003
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomDanger
Well, Hughes is about to lose his title, if not to GSP than to Penn in the rubbermatch.

Sylvia is going to lose his, if not to Monson then to Vera or AA again.

Rich just got his ass handed to him, Jens Pulver got KOed by a nobody.


Wow, they sure are always going to be on top of things
One thing that I find interesting is that gsp seems a little intemidatted by matt. Avoiding him in tuf 4 and when he tryed to insult him after his match with bj he did not sound verey confident. When he did insult matt you saw just shrug his sholders and be done with it. I think GSP is scared and that will lead to his downfall.

"The fat man flies at midnight"
americanfighter is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome