Here are things I learned from this fight.
1. Machida cant be bullied by a big strong grappler. The way he tossed a much bigger Tito Ortiz to the ground was one of the most impressive things Ive seen all year.
2. Machida is the best LHW in the world.
3. You can say it was a great gameplan all you want. But Machida faught a very defensive fight. He very rarely wanted to engage with Tito and tried to stay away as much as possible.
4. This fight probably hurt Machida just as much as it helped him. Machida was winning mostly all the exchanges, so why wouldnt he want to engage with Tito more? If he did, he would have put on a much more entertaining fight and might have finished Tito. Since he faught this cautious style, he probably cost himself a title shot. Now he is going to have to beat Thiago Silva, and then probably Forrest Griffin to get a shot at the belt.
5. I dont care what anyone says. Present day Tito, beats old school Tito all day. His striking has gotten so much better its not even funny. Machida just made him look bad. But Machida makes everyone look bad.
6. I am a fan of Tito, but Im not biased here. Dont put the nail in his coffin yet. The guy that is currently wearing the belt, Tito beat him for 14/15 minutes about a year ago. Je still has only lost to the sports elite and is still a pretty young guy.
7. The UFC needs Tito. He is still a huge draw and is responsible for the biggest fight in the sports history. Not to mention the guy still has skills.
8. Tito needs the UFC. He cant go to Affliction. His game is hurt badly without the cage. Not to mention there are only 2-3 guys outside the UFC at 205 that are worth fighting.
Im in Porno's