Do you people believe that the UFC fans are bias to non-American fighters? - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 11-20-2006, 07:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 12
sauceon has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Do you people believe that the UFC fans are bias to non-American fighters?

I was just watching the last UFC fight between Hughes and GSP. In my opinion, the fans seemed to be super disrespectful by chanting out America, America, America! I'm Canadian and found that gesture to be down right rude.. I hope things change because GSP decided to go out of his way by reaching out to the fans and noting that he will try his hardest to keep the title in North America.. I personally didn't see why he needed to say that.. UFC should attract all types of fighters, including that of international champs. I guess now that the redneck Hughes is out, all the backwards Americans will cry about international talent.. oh Well,
sauceon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 11-20-2006, 07:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 23
prynce has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I don't think UFC fans are bias to Non-American Talent. Its the fact that the fight was in the States, and one of the fighters were not american. I'm sure that if the fight was in Montreal, the reaction from the fans would be complete opposite. Fans are being disrespectful, you can tell by hearing chants of "GSP" during the fight. Its just like watching two countries play football, if you're watching France and Brazil matches, the respectful sides will boo the opposition. Its nothing personal, its just the fact in fan based entertainment events.Its like that and its not going to change. Its been done quite a few times when Canadian fans outright boo the NATIONAL ANTHEM of the states at Hockey games....now that is DISRESPECTFUL. You can boo the team, but never a national anthem...thats just crossing the line. Hopefully that input helped.

And the fans...they were chanting "USA", but when Hughes went down, it was nothing but cheering...FROM EVERYONE, so I don't think there's a bias at all, its just whoever is winning gets the crowd, thats how I see it.
prynce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Amatuer
 
unused's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 120
unused has a little shameless behaviour in the past
UFC fans are biased to who they know, that is why TUF fighters get so many cheers and praises. Americans are addicted to the TV and love people they see on it, i.e. reality stars. The people that boo are usually uneducated fans who go to fights because they just want to say that they have been to one.
unused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
MMA Patriot
 
americanfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: louisville ky
Posts: 4,003
americanfighter Is Beloved By Allamericanfighter Is Beloved By Allamericanfighter Is Beloved By Allamericanfighter Is Beloved By Allamericanfighter Is Beloved By Allamericanfighter Is Beloved By Allamericanfighter Is Beloved By Allamericanfighter Is Beloved By Allamericanfighter Is Beloved By Allamericanfighter Is Beloved By Allamericanfighter Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by unused
UFC fans are biased to who they know, that is why TUF fighters get so many cheers and praises. Americans are addicted to the TV and love people they see on it, i.e. reality stars. The people that boo are usually uneducated fans who go to fights because they just want to say that they have been to one.
yha I agree I liked Ken Shamrock alot because he was the first ufc fighter I ever knew about.
__________________
"The fat man flies at midnight"
americanfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Amatuer
 
Haplo 913's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ontario Canada.
Posts: 172
Haplo 913 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by prynce
I don't think UFC fans are bias to Non-American Talent. Its the fact that the fight was in the States, and one of the fighters were not american. I'm sure that if the fight was in Montreal, the reaction from the fans would be complete opposite. Fans are being disrespectful, you can tell by hearing chants of "GSP" during the fight. Its just like watching two countries play football, if you're watching France and Brazil matches, the respectful sides will boo the opposition. Its nothing personal, its just the fact in fan based entertainment events.Its like that and its not going to change. Its been done quite a few times when Canadian fans outright boo the NATIONAL ANTHEM of the states at Hockey games....now that is DISRESPECTFUL. You can boo the team, but never a national anthem...thats just crossing the line. Hopefully that input helped.

And the fans...they were chanting "USA", but when Hughes went down, it was nothing but cheering...FROM EVERYONE, so I don't think there's a bias at all, its just whoever is winning gets the crowd, thats how I see it.
I agree with all your points.. except that America "boo'd" Canada's national anthem first (I belive it was a basketball game) and Canada returned the favour in hockey for a couple of games. But I'm not sure if American's would of heard about that or not.

And almost immidiately after Hughes ate a facefull of leather the chants chagned to GSP anyways.
Haplo 913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Amatuer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 170
NICK C has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I'm actually surprised that GSP is well liked by Amercian fans. Alot of the fans over there really appreciate his talents and root for him, I guess these are the hardcore MMA fans. In fact i read an interview where he said he can walk around in Canada and know one would even notice him. But when he goes down to the States he gets mobbed by fans for autographs and pictures and all that stuff.
NICK C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Thinker
 
pt447's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In your closet!
Posts: 5,673
Blog Entries: 1
pt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level nowpt447 is on another level now
UFC fans, and American sports fans in general, are very "patriotic" about their teams/athletes. we tend to think that you can only root for one guy/team, and that it would be the Americans simply for that reason alone. i don't know why more people can't cheer for both fighters, but hey... whatever...
__________________
whiskey, racism, money, grease, twinkie's, guns.....yep lol thats about it

http://www.watchblog.com/

http://www.xanga.com/mfalino
pt447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
yeahbuddy86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Quebec city
Posts: 50
yeahbuddy86 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICK C
I'm actually surprised that GSP is well liked by Amercian fans. Alot of the fans over there really appreciate his talents and root for him, I guess these are the hardcore MMA fans. In fact i read an interview where he said he can walk around in Canada and know one would even notice him. But when he goes down to the States he gets mobbed by fans for autographs and pictures and all that stuff.
I think that's because in Canada if you want to watch UFC, you really have to go out of your way, you have to be a real fan. In the US it's easier to access UFC based television shows such as on Spike TV. If you want Spike in Canada you have to have a satelite or a special service provider. I live in GSP's hometown and I have not met more than one or two people that actually know who he is.
yeahbuddy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
speedythief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 457
speedythief has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Doesn't bother me.

What does bother me is when fans cheer for fights that end quickly. We had three or four fights on Saturday end in the first round.

You think people who paid that much to be there would want to see battles, not squashes.
speedythief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned
 
AtomDanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NOwhere
Posts: 2,317
AtomDanger is an unknown quantity at this pointAtomDanger is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauceon
I was just watching the last UFC fight between Hughes and GSP. In my opinion, the fans seemed to be super disrespectful by chanting out America, America, America! I'm Canadian and found that gesture to be down right rude.. I hope things change because GSP decided to go out of his way by reaching out to the fans and noting that he will try his hardest to keep the title in North America.. I personally didn't see why he needed to say that.. UFC should attract all types of fighters, including that of international champs. I guess now that the redneck Hughes is out, all the backwards Americans will cry about international talent.. oh Well,

They were chanting USA, and after a minute or two they were chanting G - S - P.
SO get off it.
AtomDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios