A planned bout between Michael Bisping (17-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC) and Wanderlei Silva (32-10-1 MMA, 2-5 UFC) that was likely to headline UFC 105 in Manchester, England, has been scratched.
In a recent blog post
penned by Bisping on his official Web site, the British fighter said Silva's recent facial surgery will keep "The Axe Murderer" out of competition, possibly until 2010.
A source close to the event told MMAjunkie.com
) that officials hope to find a suitable replacement so Bisping remains in the main event of the overseas show.
UFC 105 takes place Nov. 14 at the Manchester Evening News Arena and airs (via tape delay) on Spike TV.
During festivities for UFC 101 earlier this month, UFC president Dana White said the organization had a "fight in mind" for the UFC 105 main event but that "it's not set yet." Just a couple weeks prior, MMAjunkie.com reported the Bisping vs. Silva
fight was in the works but not signed.
Although Silva has not confirmed the procedure, the fighter is believed to have undergone surgery to remove scar tissue from his face. Other fighters such as Marcus Davis and Nick Diaz have undergone such surgeries in recent years with positive results. However, if true, the fighter will likely need extended time to heal.
As for Bisping, when he does return to the octagon, he looks to rebound from a devastating knockout loss to Dan Henderson at UFC 100 in July. The defeat was just the second in Bisping's MMA career, and it ended a three-fight win streak for "The Ultimate Fighter 3" winner.