A Closer Look at Kos vs. Joslin... - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 12:17 PM
Megaweight
 
jdun11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Everett, MA
Posts: 5,961
Blog Entries: 1
                     
Kos.is.the.Randy.Couture.of.the.welterweight.divis ion.If.Randy.won.a.fight.the.same.way.you.guys.all .would.have.said.it.was.impressive.A.win.is.a.win! ...You.guys.all.knew.Kos.had.sick.takedowns.what.w ould.make.u.think.all.of.a.sudden.Joslin.would.sto p.him.HIS.TAKEDOWNS.ARE.TOO.GOOD.so.keep.talkinshi t.about.him.and.he.will.keep.slammin.dudes




Mancrushes
1.Shogun
2.BJ
3.Fedor
4.Kos
5.GSP

Im in Porno's
jdun11 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 12:38 PM
Beenofalus FTW
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 628
     
Quote:
If your constanly getting put on your back and all your doing is keeping a guy from pounding your face in why should you get points for
If you're constantly on top and you're not pounding in the guy's face, then why should you get points for that either?

I think some credit is due to neutrality. If you get a takedown, you get points. But you shouldn't get points related to "agression/octagon control" or whatever the judges think of for time spent on top of someone if you arne't doing anything with it. If the bottom guy is able to neutralize your top position (Not saying Joslin necessarily did this BTW) I think that's worth notice as well.
Beeno is offline  
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 12:53 PM
Featherweight
 
anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hamilton, Waterloo, ON
Posts: 1,406
                     
Joslin did more from his back then Kos did in his guard...

Sure his position was better for most of the fight, but Joslin did more to try and finish then KOS including sweeps, triangle and armbar attempts and strikes from the bottom.

Kos won that fight because he was on top for most of the time, but didnt/couldnt really do ANYTHING because Joslin was active in nullifying any of his attempts...so the basic question is: do you win a fight by being on top of a guy? i dont think so, i think more focus needs to be on who is really being more EFFECTIVE in the position they are in.

Sure, Kos was on top of Joslin, but what thell does that mean? Some fighters like to be on their backs...Joslin did more to finish the fight and prevent kos from winning then kos did anything really.

On the feet, Joslin clearly dominated...im not saying he won the fight, but imo it wasnt as unanimous as the judges and others thought.


GSP Dan Henderson Sean Sherk Tyson Griffin Mark Hunt
Prospects Draft: Dong Hyun Kim & Roger Hollett

Last edited by anton; 12-14-2006 at 12:57 PM.
anton is offline  
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 12:58 PM
Bantamweight
 
TYKIDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 609
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeno
If you're constantly on top and you're not pounding in the guy's face, then why should you get points for that either?

I think some credit is due to neutrality. If you get a takedown, you get points. But you shouldn't get points related to "agression/octagon control" or whatever the judges think of for time spent on top of someone if you arne't doing anything with it. If the bottom guy is able to neutralize your top position (Not saying Joslin necessarily did this BTW) I think that's worth notice as well.
If you have a guy pinned on his back throught an entire fight and you are taking him down at will that is the friggin defenition of "agression/octagon control".
TYKIDD is offline  
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 12:59 PM
Bantamweight
 
TYKIDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 609
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by anton
Joslin did more from his back then Kos did in his guard...

Sure his position was better for most of the fight, but Joslin did more to try and finish then KOS including sweeps, triangle and armbar attempts and strikes from the bottom.

Kos won that fight because he was on top for most of the time, but didnt/couldnt really do ANYTHING because Joslin was active in nullifying any of his attempts...so the basic question is: do you win a fight by being on top of a guy? i dont think so, i think more focus needs to be on who is really being more EFFECTIVE in the position they are in.

Sure, Kos was on top of Joslin, but what thell does that mean? Some fighters like to be on their backs...Joslin did more to finish the fight and prevent kos from winning then kos did anything really.

On the feet, Joslin clearly dominated...im not saying he won the fight, but imo it wasnt as unanimous as the judges and others thought.
And yea Joslin did dominate on his feet to bad they were only on their feet for a total of 35 seconds out of 15 minutes. Also Joslin did nothing from his guard there were no submissions that even got close and he certaintly did no damage what so ever from the bottom.
TYKIDD is offline  
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 01:28 PM
Featherweight
 
anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hamilton, Waterloo, ON
Posts: 1,406
                     
So Kos wins based on the fact that he sat on top of him?

Pushing the action is part of the judging too and Joslin pushed the action on the feet, and more from his back then Kos could even on top of him.


GSP Dan Henderson Sean Sherk Tyson Griffin Mark Hunt
Prospects Draft: Dong Hyun Kim & Roger Hollett
anton is offline  
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 01:28 PM
Bantamweight
 
Mr. Bungle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 604
Posts: 607
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by robb2140
I have yet to see an exciting Josh Kozchek fight, He is not a finisher. Koz got stood up 5 times for inactivity.
Everyone here keeps saying how great he is, His standup did'nt look good at all. I have to see Kos beat a top ww before I give him credit for bieng an A fighter. I will admit Koz's wrestling and takedowns are second to none. But overall he is boring.

Karo vs Fickett, now that was a great fight

I have to agree with this...I hate watching guys who's only move is to take an opponent down but cant do a damn thing once they get him there. Sure it looks like he's dominating and he'll win on the score card due to the take downs and the few blows that he manages to land but it's such a dull way to win. I wish that there was a better way to score how the fighter on the bottom controls his opponent because Jos did a fantastic job of neutralising him.
Mr. Bungle is offline  
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 02:49 PM
Banned
 
JawShattera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,785
     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYKIDD
And yea Joslin did dominate on his feet to bad they were only on their feet for a total of 35 seconds out of 15 minutes. Also Joslin did nothing from his guard there were no submissions that even got close and he certaintly did no damage what so ever from the bottom.


no submissions, he locked in a trianlge and kos got saved by the bell
JawShattera is offline  
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 02:57 PM
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 323
         
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYKIDD
Of course the top guy gets the glory. Are you listening to what your saying. The guy on top is the one controlling the fight. If your constanly getting put on your back and all your doing is keeping a guy from pounding your face in why should you get points for that. Thats like saying you should get points for avoiding punches. Thats stupid as hell. Joslin couldn't defend the takedown. He wasn't even close to as strong Kos. Anytime Kos wanted him on the ground he put him there. The only time Joslin controlled the fight was when he jabbed Kos a couple times. Other than that he was completely dominated. I agree Kos needs to work on his GnP he should be able to stay more busy when he is on top.
LOL I am wondering if I watched the same fight as you...

Joslin was NOT completely dominated, he defended on the ground extremely well and almost got a triangle until the bell rang. Kos deserved the win but it was a NARROW victory imo.


I was personally very impressed with Joslins skills. He is a great striker and a BJJ black belt. That spinning backfist was so fast too, it was cool to see.
Chris32 is offline  
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 02:59 PM
Bantamweight
 
TYKIDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 609
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawShattera
no submissions, he locked in a trianlge and kos got saved by the bell
He didnt lock it in first of all. It would not have been tight enough to do a thing.
TYKIDD is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome