Ranking the UFC divisions
I was just thinking...is it just me or are we experiencing a changing of the guard in the UFC? For years everyone made fun of the heavyweights and the middleweights as terrible divisions, but I'm seeing a change. The LHWs seem to be aging, the HW are becoming more athletic and the middleweights are becoming really talented.
A year ago I would've ranked the divisions....
1. Light heavyweight
Now I see it as this:
1. Lightweight -- Frank Edgar is 10-1 and hasn't sniffed a title shot; this division is talent-rich)
2. Middleweight -- Suddenly we have Hendo, Marquardt, Maia, Belfort, Wandy, Anderson Silva, Sexyama...this division is on the rise.
3. Light heavyweight -- Still high on talent but we're not seeing many young starts emerge, though Thiago Silva rebounded and Luis Cane looks good. Long live Machida.
4. Heavyweight -- too early? Lesnar/Carwin/Velazquez/Big Nog, risers like Duffee, Buentello back, Rothwell, Kongo, Mir...seems like the division is getting better
5. Welterweight -- like MW a year ago, the gap between GSP and the rest is huge. Condit is good but lost to Kampmann. Kampmann is good but lost to Daley. Fitch beat Alves, who beat Koscheck, who lost to Thiago, who lost to Fitch...argh! No one seems ready to challenge GSP.