Religion in the ufc - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 05:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Heavyweight
 
joshua7789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,316
joshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFish1 View Post
"Im not a religious dude, but im not completely narrow minded and atheist either. Sorry, i find "devout" atheists to be about as obnoxious as jehovah's witnesses. I dont care who is praying to what god in any circumstances and i dont see why anyone gets worked up about someones prayers or lack of prayers. For some reason I dont see the audience of the UFC getting all worked up if someone went all muslim and started throwing shout outs to allah after a fight, i dont know why, for some reason i just dont think it would be a big deal."

Are you trolling? You're not narrow-minded, but find all atheists and jehovas witnesses obnoxious. Oh ok. Yeah that makes sense.
Figuratively speaking, if you're an atheist you're devout to it, in the sense you refuse all other beliefs.

You've also just showed how you failed to read, no one is getting "worked up" just expressing opinions. And people do get offended at beliefs or lack of, so I suggest you take your ignorance else where.

Wow can you at least argue properly? "If some one went all muslim" lol... seriously?

*Edit* Thanks Bio +rep. That's really interesting, definitely going to read in to that more when I get home.

Your post was exactly what I was trying to keep out of my topic, I don't mind you expressing your opinion. But do it with a little class please.

Kind of missed the point of my post there, didnt ya? I wasnt in anyway worked up. The atheist/jehovahs witness remark was me stating how i find both ends of the religious spectrum to be very narrow minded. Saying "going all muslim" does sound stupid, but im very high and that is what came out. Sorry that your getting all but hurt because i dont share the same opinion as you.
joshua7789 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 09-24-2009, 05:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Deftsound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 267
Deftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of light
Normally when fighters thank god they are thanking god for their ability or fact that they were healthy and able to fight at the best of their ability and for the fact that no one was seriously injured, not for the win, the same reason people thank god that no one was injured in a serious accident or for the fact that they performed well.

The fact that you get annoyed by this just shows that you don't truly understand the christian religion and the reason they are thanking god. I can understand this but you are wrong. I guarantee you if you asked marquetd he would agree with me and i know this because I am a fellow Christian. If you are not Christian and/or you know nothing about the religion its easy to come to assumptions.

Secondly, this map you posted is retarded. According to it, Africa is the most religious? America was founded on Christian philosophy. I could make a map just like that citing which countries like hamburgers and claim it was America even though i have no factual basis on that. Atheists like yourselves are just trying to prove the lack thereof of god anyway you can. Cite the maps sources, where did they get their info from? Who is to say that Africa is most religious. Some of the smartest people in the world are or were religous (Ben Steinn, Albert Einstein, Benjamin Franklin etc etc)

Lighten up bro....a fighter can thank whoever they want...who cares????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biowza View Post
Higher education? I honestly doubt that. Sure there are guys like Rich Franklin, Kenny Florian, and Joe Lauzon who are smart. But for the most part they aren't very smart.


http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...cbd026da77245c

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...f6f8ce4b6001de

This is a Gallup Poll done a few years ago. You'll notice the poorest parts of Africa/Middle east and asia hold the most importance to religion. There are other studies on this, but it was in a book which I gave to my friend.

Deftsound is offline  
Old 09-24-2009, 05:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
FredFish1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 375
FredFish1 is a splendid one to beholdFredFish1 is a splendid one to beholdFredFish1 is a splendid one to beholdFredFish1 is a splendid one to beholdFredFish1 is a splendid one to beholdFredFish1 is a splendid one to beholdFredFish1 is a splendid one to beholdFredFish1 is a splendid one to beholdFredFish1 is a splendid one to beholdFredFish1 is a splendid one to beholdFredFish1 is a splendid one to behold
Do you have a serious problem? Try talking in a non condescending manner?

I didn't say you were worked up...

I never said I don't or even have a problem with your shared opinion. Kinda missed the point there didnt ya?
I clearly stated that you expressed it in a retarded way, which you even just admitted...

By accusing other groups of being narrow-minded, you demonstrate your self to be narrow-minded, you're a hypocrite and sadly you don't even realize how moronic your post was.

Don't accuse me of being all hurt, in attempt to gain some moral high ground. That's pathetic.

I'm not going to reply to you any more until you at least formulate a post that bears resembelance to something intelligent.
__________________
I probably was being sarcastic in the above post. I think you should flame me for it.
FredFish1 is offline  
Old 09-24-2009, 05:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
of Nazareth
 
Soojooko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Moon
Posts: 8,263
Soojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF Material
I have a friend who works in Africa helping to deal with the AIDS problems. She confirms that Africa is VERY religious and quite barbaric in imposing the faith in some places. How Gallup defines religion is open to debate though. Are they counting Christianity, Islam etc or Religion full stop? If you include tribal/pagan religion then I can see how Africa would feature strongly.

Back to the fighters:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftsound View Post
Normally when fighters thank god they are thanking god for their ability or fact that they were healthy and able to fight at the best of their ability and for the fact that no one was seriously injured, not for the win, the same reason people thank god that no one was injured in a serious accident or for the fact that they performed well.
I agree with the above.

EDIT. Cant we debate this without getting hung up on how one poster or another words his opinions?
Soojooko is offline  
Old 09-24-2009, 05:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
The Forum Drunk
 
xeberus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,450
xeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftsound View Post
Normally when fighters thank god they are thanking god for their ability or fact that they were healthy and able to fight at the best of their ability and for the fact that no one was seriously injured, not for the win, the same reason people thank god that no one was injured in a serious accident or for the fact that they performed well.

The fact that you get annoyed by this just shows that you don't truly understand the christian religion and the reason they are thanking god. I can understand this but you are wrong. I guarantee you if you asked marquetd he would agree with me and i know this because I am a fellow Christian. If you are not Christian and/or you know nothing about the religion its easy to come to assumptions.

Secondly, this map you posted is retarded. According to it, Africa is the most religious? America was founded on Christian philosophy. I could make a map just like that citing which countries like hamburgers and claim it was America even though i have no factual basis on that. Atheists like yourselves are just trying to prove the lack thereof of god anyway you can. Cite the maps sources, where did they get their info from? Who is to say that Africa is most religious. Some of the smartest people in the world are or were religous (Ben Steinn, Albert Einstein, Benjamin Franklin etc etc)

Lighten up bro....a fighter can thank whoever they want...who cares????
*facepalm*

"I have found christian dogma unintelligible."

"Lighthouses are more helpful than churches"

ugh accidentally hit enter, these are direct quotes from benjamin franklin. Einstein was not religious either, a good amount of the founders of America were deist not christian.
__________________


If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. ~ Thomas Jefferson


Sig by D.P.




Last edited by xeberus : 09-24-2009 at 05:48 AM.
xeberus is offline  
Old 09-24-2009, 05:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
Super Heavyweight
 
joshua7789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,316
joshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFish1 View Post
Do you have a serious problem? Try talking in a non condescending manner?

I didn't say you were worked up...

I never said I don't or even have a problem with your shared opinion. Kinda missed the point there didnt ya?
I clearly stated that you expressed it in a retarded way, which you even just admitted...

By accusing other groups of being narrow-minded, you demonstrate your self to be narrow-minded, you're a hypocrite and sadly you don't even realize how moronic your post was.

Don't accuse me of being all hurt, in attempt to gain some moral high ground. That's pathetic.

I'm not going to reply to you any more until you at least formulate a post that bears resembelance to something intelligent.
Sir, i can assure that everything i state at this moment will be somewhat moronic. I think your kind of a dick. Does that merrit some sort of response? Anyway, you accused me of trolling for stating my opinion. Clearly you were looking for a certain kind of response to this thread, sorry i didnt live up to your standards chief.
joshua7789 is offline  
Old 09-24-2009, 05:48 AM   #17 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Deftsound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 267
Deftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeberus View Post
*facepalm*

I have found christian dogma unintelligible.

Lighthouses are more helpful than churches
Fine, no one says you have to agree with the christian philosophy, just like I as a christian don't have to agree with Islam, or Atheism, or voodoo or whatever Africans believe in, To each his own.

All I'm saying is that it's easy to mis-interpret what a fighter is thanking god for when he thanks god after winning a fight. He's not saying, "Thanks god for letting Me win the fight and Not the other guy", hes saying "Thanks god for letting me fight to the best of my ability and for being a healthy talented fighter." Theres a Big difference.
Deftsound is offline  
Old 09-24-2009, 05:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
Light Heavyweight
 
Biowza's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,474
Blog Entries: 1
Biowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftsound View Post
The fact that you get annoyed by this just shows that you don't truly understand the christian religion and the reason they are thanking god. I can understand this but you are wrong. I guarantee you if you asked marquetd he would agree with me and i know this because I am a fellow Christian. If you are not Christian and/or you know nothing about the religion its easy to come to assumptions.
"Understand the christian religion" oh that's rich. I'd actually make a bet that 90% of 'Christians' haven't read the bible. Have you read it cover-to-cover? Don't think so. Christians like yourself adore the bible because without reading it you can say "X is true and the world of god while Y is just 'open for interpretation'"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftsound View Post
Secondly, this map you posted is retarded. According to it, Africa is the most religious? America was founded on Christian philosophy. I could make a map just like that citing which countries like hamburgers and claim it was America even though i have no factual basis on that. Atheists like yourselves are just trying to prove the lack thereof of god anyway you can. Cite the maps sources, where did they get their info from? Who is to say that Africa is most religious. Some of the smartest people in the world are or were religous (Ben Steinn, Albert Einstein, Benjamin Franklin etc etc)
Geez...I just don't know where to start. It's a Gallup poll (one of the most respected pollsters in the world), questioning people from 137 countries about how important religion is in their life. I don't know what you're talking about hamburgers or something...I'm willing to say that you've never done any science in your life, or if you did you weren't very good at it.

Ben Stein? Are you ******* kidding me? He doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Einstein. Ben Franklin? Einstein? Arrghh, the stupid is overwhelming...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdun11
This is by far the easiest and safest pick of the year in mma.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdun11
Nog's only chance is one of his miracle submissions, after taking a beating the entire fight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdun11
But its not gay if you watch it with a hot chik.
Biowza is offline  
Old 09-24-2009, 05:54 AM   #19 (permalink)
The Forum Drunk
 
xeberus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,450
xeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftsound View Post
Fine, no one says you have to agree with the christian philosophy, just like I as a christian don't have to agree with Islam, or Atheism, or voodoo or whatever Africans believe in, To each his own.

All I'm saying is that it's easy to mis-interpret what a fighter is thanking god for when he thanks god after winning a fight. He's not saying, "Thanks god for letting Me win the fight and Not the other guy", hes saying "Thanks god for letting me fight to the best of my ability and for being a healthy talented fighter." Theres a Big difference.
Oh lol not my words

To each his own indeed, as I said earlier nothing wrong with a persons beliefs as long as they don't infringe on another person's rights.

Just curious when you say "christian philosophy" what exactly do you mean? I believe it was thomas jefferson or lincoln that re-wrote the entire bible without any of the miracles and magic, but left the moral tales etc and that would technically fall in line with "christian philosophy" even though it is entirely secular.
__________________


If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. ~ Thomas Jefferson


Sig by D.P.



xeberus is offline  
Old 09-24-2009, 05:55 AM   #20 (permalink)
of Nazareth
 
Soojooko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Moon
Posts: 8,263
Soojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF MaterialSoojooko Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftsound View Post
All I'm saying is that it's easy to mis-interpret what a fighter is thanking god for when he thanks god after winning a fight. He's not saying, "Thanks god for letting Me win the fight and Not the other guy", hes saying "Thanks god for letting me fight to the best of my ability and for being a healthy talented fighter." Theres a Big difference.
I agree with you in general, but I do think that many fighters do seem to thank god for letting/helping them win. All speculation of course. It's the same in lots of sports. Quotes like, "I think god for giving me strength to kick this guys arse" are not uncommon. I would love to actually hear a fighter say, "I would like to thank god for making this an awesome fight and giving my opponent the strength to challange me."
Soojooko is offline  
Closed Thread



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios