Religion in the ufc - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 04:56 AM   #21 (permalink)
Super Heavyweight
 
joshua7789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,312
joshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By Alljoshua7789 Is Beloved By All
Umm...Maybe i was wrong about people not getting worked up about a fighters religious beliefs. Folks are a awfully touchy about this.
joshua7789 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 09-24-2009, 04:57 AM   #22 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Deftsound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 267
Deftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeberus View Post
*

ugh accidentally hit enter, these are direct quotes from benjamin franklin. Einstein was not religious either, a good amount of the founders of America were deist not christian.
Really? I seem to remember from my history class that the pilgrims coming from England to America on the Mayflower were escaping Catholic rule to form their own sect of christianity also known as Lutherans, based on Martin Luther's theory, "Luther taught that salvation is not from good works, but a free gift of God, received only by grace through faith in Jesus as redeemer from sin. His theology challenged the authority of the pope of the Roman Catholic Church."

America was formed upon pilgrim seperatists wanting to escape the wrath of the catholic church to practice their own form of christianity, "With their religion oppressed by the English Church and government,[5] the small party of religious Puritan separatists who comprised about half of the passengers on the ship desired a life where they could practice their religion freely. This symbol of religious freedom resonates in US society"

Many of the founders may have been deist, but fundamentally, America was founded on religious principles....
Deftsound is offline  
Old 09-24-2009, 05:00 AM   #23 (permalink)
Light Heavyweight
 
Biowza's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,474
Blog Entries: 1
Biowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftsound View Post
Really? I seem to remember from my history class that the pilgrims coming from England to America on the Mayflower were escaping Catholic rule to form their own sect of christianity also known as Lutherans, based on Martin Luther's theory, "Luther taught that salvation is not from good works, but a free gift of God, received only by grace through faith in Jesus as redeemer from sin. His theology challenged the authority of the pope of the Roman Catholic Church."

America was formed upon pilgrim seperatists wanting to escape the wrath of the catholic church to practice their own form of christianity, "With their religion oppressed by the English Church and government,[5] the small party of religious Puritan separatists who comprised about half of the passengers on the ship desired a life where they could practice their religion freely. This symbol of religious freedom resonates in US society"

Many of the founders may have been deist, but fundamentally, America was founded on religious principles....
You are so wrong here It's not even funny. I really hope you aren't from the USA, that would be embarrassing for your sake.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdun11
This is by far the easiest and safest pick of the year in mma.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdun11
Nog's only chance is one of his miracle submissions, after taking a beating the entire fight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdun11
But its not gay if you watch it with a hot chik.
Biowza is offline  
Old 09-24-2009, 05:06 AM   #24 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Deftsound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 267
Deftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biowza View Post
"Understand the christian religion" oh that's rich. I'd actually make a bet that 90% of 'Christians' haven't read the bible. Have you read it cover-to-cover? Don't think so. Christians like yourself adore the bible because without reading it you can say "X is true and the world of god while Y is just 'open for interpretation'"


Geez...I just don't know where to start. It's a Gallup poll (one of the most respected pollsters in the world), questioning people from 137 countries about how important religion is in their life. I don't know what you're talking about hamburgers or something...I'm willing to say that you've never done any science in your life, or if you did you weren't very good at it.

Ben Stein? Are you ******* kidding me? He doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Einstein. Ben Franklin? Einstein? Arrghh, the stupid is overwhelming...
Your right, and I'd like to make a bet that 90% of people who claim to be christians arent really christians. No, I have not read the Entire bible. But i know enough of it to argue my point, and obviously a little more than you do. You don't know me, therefor you have no idea how much of the bible ive read, this to me tells me that you are just wanting to put a label on me and attack christianity as a whole. Were you raped as a young child? You sound very angry...relax bro, no one is forcing religion down your throat, im just defending the fighters who want to thank god.

I've done a little science and believe it or not im Not one of those christians thats opposed to science or evolution. I have a 4 year degree from texas a&m. I'm not stupid and I do know what im talking about so i don't appreciate you degrading me.

You sound like you're just really angry overall, maybe you need some counseling or a real stiff drink, maybe a joint...seriously relax no one is attacking you.

.

Last edited by Deftsound : 09-24-2009 at 05:10 AM.
Deftsound is offline  
Old 09-24-2009, 05:07 AM   #25 (permalink)
The Forum Drunk
 
xeberus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,450
xeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Materialxeberus Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftsound View Post
Really? I seem to remember from my history class that the pilgrims coming from England to America on the Mayflower were escaping Catholic rule to form their own sect of christianity also known as Lutherans, based on Martin Luther's theory, "Luther taught that salvation is not from good works, but a free gift of God, received only by grace through faith in Jesus as redeemer from sin. His theology challenged the authority of the pope of the Roman Catholic Church."

America was formed upon pilgrim seperatists wanting to escape the wrath of the catholic church to practice their own form of christianity, "With their religion oppressed by the English Church and government,[5] the small party of religious Puritan separatists who comprised about half of the passengers on the ship desired a life where they could practice their religion freely. This symbol of religious freedom resonates in US society"

Many of the founders may have been deist, but fundamentally, America was founded on religious principles....
So you admit that all the facts you have said so far were completely wrong and just felt like saying them because they fall in line with your side of an argument?

Now you want to give me a history lesson? All a person has to do to see that America was not founded on christianity is to take a look at the constitution, the declaration of independence of the treaty of tripoli.

"The United States Constitution serves as the law of the land for America and indicates the intent of our Founding Fathers. The Constitution forms a secular document, and nowhere does it appeal to God, Christianity, Jesus, or any supreme being. (For those who think the date of the Constitution contradicts the last sentence, see note 1 at the end.) The U.S. government derives from people (not God), as it clearly states in the preamble: "We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect Union...." The omission of God in the Constitution did not come out of forgetfulness, but rather out of the Founding Fathers purposeful intentions to keep government separate from religion.

Although the Constitution does not include the phrase "Separation of Church & State," neither does it say "Freedom of religion." However, the Constitution implies both in the 1st Amendment. As to our freedoms, the 1st Amendment provides exclusionary wording:

Congress shall make NO law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances. [bold caps, mine]

Thomas Jefferson made an interpretation of the 1st Amendment to his January 1st, 1802 letter to the Committee of the Danbury Baptist Association calling it a "wall of separation between church and State." Madison had also written that "Strongly guarded. . . is the separation between religion and government in the Constitution of the United States." There existed little controversy about this interpretation from our Founding Fathers."

"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Musselmen; and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

Article 11 of the treaty, it is very clear our founding fathers wanted nothing more than a government divorced from religion.
__________________


If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. ~ Thomas Jefferson


Sig by D.P.



xeberus is offline  
Old 09-24-2009, 05:08 AM   #26 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Deftsound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 267
Deftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biowza View Post
You are so wrong here It's not even funny. I really hope you aren't from the USA, that would be embarrassing for your sake.
REally? I quoted this from Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayflower

Na, I don't get emberassed over some stupid ass forum on the internet. Its not real life bro...its the internet
Deftsound is offline  
Old 09-24-2009, 05:12 AM   #27 (permalink)
Light Heavyweight
 
Biowza's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,474
Blog Entries: 1
Biowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A BallerBiowza Is A Baller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftsound View Post
REally? I quoted this from Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayflower

Na, I don't get emberassed over some stupid ass forum on the internet. Its not real life bro...its the internet
See....

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeberus
So you admit that all the facts you have said so far were completely wrong and just felt like saying them because they fall in line with your side of an argument?

Now you want to give me a history lesson? All a person has to do to see that America was not founded on christianity is to take a look at the constitution, the declaration of independence of the treaty of tripoli.

"The United States Constitution serves as the law of the land for America and indicates the intent of our Founding Fathers. The Constitution forms a secular document, and nowhere does it appeal to God, Christianity, Jesus, or any supreme being. (For those who think the date of the Constitution contradicts the last sentence, see note 1 at the end.) The U.S. government derives from people (not God), as it clearly states in the preamble: "We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect Union...." The omission of God in the Constitution did not come out of forgetfulness, but rather out of the Founding Fathers purposeful intentions to keep government separate from religion.

Although the Constitution does not include the phrase "Separation of Church & State," neither does it say "Freedom of religion." However, the Constitution implies both in the 1st Amendment. As to our freedoms, the 1st Amendment provides exclusionary wording:

Congress shall make NO law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances. [bold caps, mine]

Thomas Jefferson made an interpretation of the 1st Amendment to his January 1st, 1802 letter to the Committee of the Danbury Baptist Association calling it a "wall of separation between church and State." Madison had also written that "Strongly guarded. . . is the separation between religion and government in the Constitution of the United States." There existed little controversy about this interpretation from our Founding Fathers."

"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Musselmen; and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

Article 11 of the treaty, it is very clear our founding fathers wanted nothing more than a government divorced from religion.
Treaty of Tripoli, Constitution, Declaration of Independance, etc. You are so very very wrong Mr Deftsound. What I find weird is that I know more about your country than you do.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdun11
This is by far the easiest and safest pick of the year in mma.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdun11
Nog's only chance is one of his miracle submissions, after taking a beating the entire fight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdun11
But its not gay if you watch it with a hot chik.
Biowza is offline  
Old 09-24-2009, 05:15 AM   #28 (permalink)
Light Heavyweight
 
name goes here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London England
Posts: 3,300
name goes here Is Respected By All He Crossesname goes here Is Respected By All He Crossesname goes here Is Respected By All He Crossesname goes here Is Respected By All He Crossesname goes here Is Respected By All He Crossesname goes here Is Respected By All He Crossesname goes here Is Respected By All He Crossesname goes here Is Respected By All He Crossesname goes here Is Respected By All He Crossesname goes here Is Respected By All He Crossesname goes here Is Respected By All He Crosses
I don't think England was Catholic when you lot's ancestors were settling America.

Fighters are often religious because they need to have a massive amount of self belief, is my guess.

It's true Hughes never says, 'I lost, I imagine God wanted me to lose, and for Thiago to win, because he is a more devout Christian than me'.

Also Deftsound and Fredfish are tards - and very convenient for each other
__________________
name goes here is offline  
Old 09-24-2009, 05:15 AM   #29 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Deftsound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 267
Deftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biowza View Post
See....


Treaty of Tripoli, Constitution, Declaration of Independance, etc. You are so very very wrong Mr Deftsound. What I find weird is that I know more about your country than you do.
haha ok bro you win. No point in arguing with you.
Deftsound is offline  
Old 09-24-2009, 05:17 AM   #30 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Deftsound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 267
Deftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of lightDeftsound is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by name goes here View Post

Also Deftsound and Fredfish are tards - and very convenient for each other
lol ok
Deftsound is offline  
Closed Thread



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios