Dissecting Machida vs Shogun
Connected strikes only + a few notable incidents.
4:46 - Shogun lands nice left hook
4:47 - Machida lands 4 knees to body in clinch
4:10 - Machida left kick to upper body
4:05 - Shogun Right kick to inner thigh
4:02 - Machida Left knee to chest
3:46 - Shogun 3 knees to thigh from the clinch
3:20 - Shogun Right knee to body
3:13 - Shugun Blocks Lyotos left kick and counters with right kick to inner thigh
3:00 - Machida misses with flying knee before stuffing Shoguns takedown
2:57 - Shogun connects with 2 knees to legs in the clinch
2:07 - Machida connects with light kick to the leg but following punch is blocked
1:45 - Shogun lands nice body knee and just avoids Lyotos counter.
1:00 - Both Shogun and Machida land leg kicks in the same instance
0:53 - Lyoto lands a left kick to body
0:49 - Shogun lands a kick on Machidas bum followed by a nice right hook to the head
0:22 - Shogun lands nice right leg body kick which Lyoto counters immediatly with a right kick to shoguns knee.
4:40 - Shogun lands a lovely straight left counter
4:38 - Shogun clips knee with right kick
4:06 - Shogun lands a right kick counter to Lyotos thigh
4:05 - Lyoto lands a two punch combo to the head. ( although the angle made this difficult to confirm 100% )
3:50 - Shogun right kick to the mid section somewhere. ( very fast )
3:19 - Shogun right knee to chest immediatly countered by right kick from Lyoto to shoguns upper leg/arse.
3:09 - Shogun tries for a take down but gets stuffed
2:32 - Machida left knee to Shoguns knee
1:37 - Machida right kick to shoguns planted shin
1:35 - Shogun left knee to the body counter. Nice.
1:29 - Shogun connects with left knee to the body with Machida countering with a straight left follewed by a left kick to the knee of standing leg. These guys rock!
1:19 - Machida looks like he connected with a right kick to thigh, but angle was poor.
0:51 - Machida left knee to chest
0:45 - Shogun lands 10 knees to Lyotos legs from the following clinch
0.28 - Machida lands a knee from the clinch
4:48 - Another mad exchange. Shogun right kick to body, countered my a Machida straight left and left kick to inside knee. All inside 1/4 of a second. Amazing.
4:32 - Machida lands hard right to Shoguns head followed by left kick to body
4:30 - Shogun right kick to inner thigh and Machida left kick to body
4:04 - Shogun left kick to body
3:18 - Lyoto lands left body kick and Shogun also lands a right kick to inside knee
2:55 - Rua lands right kick to upper thigh which Machida counters with a straight right to the head
2:35 - Shogun lands knee to leg in the clinch and an elbow to the head as they disengage.
2:20 - Machida catches shoguns knee with left kick but shogun couunters with a hard right kick to the knee.
2:01 - Shogun connects with right kick to inner thigh and Machida connects with left kick to the body. Both hard shot.
1:51 - Shogun counters Lyoto with a hard right kick to the body. Again, Lyoto finishes with a left kick to the inside knee of the standing leg.
1:04 - Shogun right kick to upper thigh
1:02 - Machida knee to the body from the clinch
0:35 - Machida feints with a left, Shogun counters with his trademark right kick to thigh which opens him up for a Machida hard right. Wow. Just Wow.
0:34 - Machida right hook connects follwed by right knee to Shoguns body
0:31 - Machida lands a left hook
0:30 - Shogun covers up then throws a quick left hook. Nice punch
0:29 - A hard Machida left kick to the body. Shogun just gets enough on it to stop big damage
0:27 - Lots of missed punches in the "flurry" finishing with a sweet Shogun right hook that rocks Machida into a clinch
3:50 - Shogun right inside leg kick counter.
3:14 - Machida right punch to the body (?) and Shogun counters with right kick to body.
3:09 - Machida high kick to Shoguns head. Nice.
3:01 - Machida slips and Shogun is on him like hookers on coke.
2:36 - Shoguns takedown attempt ends and they disengage.
2:19 - Hard shogun right kick to the outside of Lyotos leg.
2:18 - Lyoto slips a short right through Shoguns guard to the face.
2:15 - Shogun knee to body I think. The angle sucked.
1:46 - Shogun right kick to outside knee. Ouch.
1:32 - Shogun clinches
1:28 - Shogun lands short right elbow as they disengage
1:04 - Shogun hard right knee to Lyotos body.
0:45 - Shoddy angle, but looks like Shogun right kick to outer thigh.
4:51 - Shogun right kick to inside thigh
4:33 - Shogun crunching right kick to Lyotos outer thigh. Really nice.
3:31 - Shogun catches Machidas leg and connects with a nice right kick to the inside knee.
2:46 - Machida hard right knee to body.
2:20 - They clinch for a while each throwing a knee to the others thigh.
1:42 - Disengaging from the clinch, Shogun throws a left elbow and a right hook. I dont think the elbow connected though.
1:20 - Lyoto left knee to the body
All done frame by frame. I'm glad I did it. Saw some amazing stuff.
Round 1 - Shogun 14 - Machida 10
round 2 - 17 - 10
round 3 - 14 - 16
round 4 - 8 - 3
round 5 - 6 - 3
What I think:-
- Great f**king fight. It was very close. If either fighter won it would be fair.
- Shogun landed more strikes than Machida without a doubt. If you factor in those 10 knees at 0:45 of round two, it makes it 59 to 42 connected strikes. The quality of the strikes is a different issue. Point is, Shogun did outstrike Lyoto in terms of numbers. To those saying it was 2:1, prove it.
- That super sharp kick to the inside knee of the standing leg, that Lyoto hit Rua with after some of his heaviest body kicks is the work of genius. I saw many of the initial strikes and counters on the first few watches but completely missed this kick. I think it was stuff like this that won it for him. Rightly or wrongly, shit like this impresses judges.
- I still think Machida won the first 3 rounds. Yes shogun connected with more shots, but many of those were knees in the clinch. I can easily see how the judges and indeed myself, can be swayed by Machidas nuances and touches. We are human after all and enjoy good art.
- Round 3 is right up there with the best rounds of MMA I've ever seen.
- This fight was amazing. Even more so know I've dissected it. Anybody still calling it a robbery is not being fair. Shogun was doing the more obvious damage but please don't discount the lovely touches from Machida. They both won really. They will both come back monsters for that experience.
- Fightmetric is full of shit.
That's my thoughts. Draw your own conclusions. I promise you the breakdown is not biased in any way and I tried to be clear which strikes were hard. I appreciate there are 1089 other Shogun/Machida threads but after all the effort I put in, I wanted to see it in lights!
Last edited by Soojooko; 10-28-2009 at 03:18 PM.