Consequences of a death in the UFC - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 2,615
Originally Posted by Mjr View Post
Did you read the first post?
you asked what the consequences would be. I gave my opinion. Whats your point? Ok I will change my opinion to the ufc would be up a sh*t creek cuz of your first post, better?

Grinding Gears
TERMINATOR is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 11:21 PM
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Flint,Michigan
Posts: 1,806
There would be criticism but nothing the UFC couldn't pull out of. I took a course on sports history and it was ridiculous how many people died as a result of playing football in the early days. A bunch of rules and a comissioner in charge of it stopped people from dying regularly though. That might be the only recourse that people would lobby to get the rules changed to make the sport safer in the eyes of critics.
Wookie is offline  
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 11:37 PM
Light Heavyweight
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,457
I'd bet more on one of the hw's having a heart attack from their heart beating too fast.
rabakill is offline  
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 11:41 PM
jmacjer's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 243
Originally Posted by Mjr View Post
There is no question that it has to happen sooner or later. I don't think it is something the UFC can easily recover from and might threaten the sport in certain places.

People may argue that boxing has deaths all the time yet it has thrived for years, however MMA isn't as established as boxing it also doesn't have the traditional history that boxing has. For this reason it has less people in high places to protect and to speak well of the sport.

Dana's common argument is that there has never been a death or serious injury in the UFC for so many years, so when a death does occur there will be lots of pressure on the UFC from the usual sources. IMO this gives people a lot of ammunition against MMA as a whole.

Maybe I am being a little over dramatic, but would the UFC recover from a death? (especially a high profile fighter)
Would they have to add further to the rulebook to stop being banned again?
I don't think it will happen sooner than later. Ill bet you all my credits that there won't be a death in the UFC within the next 10 years
jmacjer is offline  
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 03:13 AM
Big Dawg
Ruckus's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Posts: 911
There are a few things to point out when speculating what a death will do to mma and the UFC. First off, this isn't the early nineties when Sen. John McCain called the sport human-cockfighting and was able to round up support for the banning of the sport. Today, some 15 years later, through numerous rule changes and the advent of weight classes, detractors for the sport are few and far between and it has become more exceptable in mainstream society. Second, if you are going to compare deaths in boxing versus mma, you cannot discard the fact that there is a substansial difference of punches to the head in the two sports. Because it is mixed martial arts, shots to the head are significantly lower in mma. That itself suggests a lower risk of head trauma in direct relation to boxing. Third, there have been three verified deaths in mma, and only one of those deaths was in a sanctioned mma fight add to it not in the UFC. The first death happened in the Ukraine in 1998 and the second in what could be compared to a "Fight Club" promotion in 2005, both of these unsanctioned by any athletic commission. The third and most recent was in 2007 when a fighter had died 2 months after his bout. He was KO'd in the fight and than collapsed shortly after leaving the ring. He had two surgeries to remove blood clots from his brain, suffered a stroke after the second and died soon after. This fight was in a Renegades Extremes Fighting bout in Houston, a smaller circuit yet sanctioned non the less. I don't recall an wide spread media attention to this death, purhaps because it was not in the UFC or maybe because the fighter died 2 months after the bout. I believe that although tragic, as is any death in any sport (let alone life) the fact that this is a combat sport, the likelihood of injury and/death has become accepted as the sport has grown with fans who are not quite as knowledgable with the sport. Therefore, the UFC will be okay if/when someone actually dies from one of their events. (I also think it would have to happen in the cage for any significant repercussions from the public.)

Ruckus is offline  
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 03:17 AM
FredFish1's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 375

I probably was being sarcastic in the above post. I think you should flame me for it.
FredFish1 is offline  
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 08:40 AM
swedish_fighter's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 187
I think nothing major will happen with the audience. Ofc its bad publicity so UFC would do their best to figure out what went "wrong" and how they shall prevent it from happening again..

I think they may add stricter rules and if they can, blame the ref for stopping the game too late or something. Something like that.
swedish_fighter is offline  
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 08:58 AM
M.C's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Posts: 12,477
A death will happen in the UFC at some point. MMA is a dangerous sport, all contact sports are. You cannot say there won't be a death someday in a sport where you kick people in the head for the purpose of knocking them out, or wrapping your arms around someone's neck to choke them.

It's going to happen someday. It's already happened (but not in the UFC), and it will happen in the UFC eventually. How? I have no clue, but it will.

When it does happen, the UFC will handle things as needed. They will defend it by saying all people die in contact sports, as well as defending it in a way that there have been far, far more deaths in other sports compared to MMA, so it is not "bad" in comparison.

I don't think it's going to set MMA or the UFC back too far, as by the time that happens, I'm sure the sport will be even bigger than it is now, even more popular, even more accepted in today's world of sport.
M.C is offline  
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Bob Pataki's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,048
Originally Posted by Mjr View Post
But all of the sports mentioned above, have not faced the criticism that MMA has faced since day one.

There are no sports similar to MMA in the mainstream (except boxing) so we can't compare them to other sports that have deaths.

IMO one of the reasons MMA took so long to grow was because it faced so much resistance from anyone that wanted to make a name for themselves in the political world.

I think a death would at least halt restriction to new places for a pretty big time frame, 2 deaths in close succession could be disastrous IMO.
But what do you expect, the fans to just abandon ship? The fans will still pay to watch, so the show will go on. I think it is likely that it will happen one day, but the UFC is too big and too established now for it to make that big of a difference.

Nevertheless, when it does happen it will be an anomoly. Boxing has seen fighters beat into comas so many times, I don't recall that happening in MMA, is there even one time this has happened in an American organisation? Overseas they have different rules but I don't recall anything from Japan either.

MMA is a relatively safe full contact sport, it will always suffer criticism because two men are fighting in a cage, I just can't see how it would ruin the business / sport if someone did die, how would that even happen?
Bob Pataki is offline  
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 11:08 AM
AstroBouncer's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 292
The UFC would be fine.

A review of commercial fishing fatalities conducted by the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) found that during 1994-2004:

* 641 commercial fishermen died while fishing in the U.S.

Those are the commercial deaths only and just in the US. If you factor in civilians and other countries, there are well over 300 deaths per year. From fishing.

Fav quotes:
Originally Posted by vandalian View Post
His KO of Babalu was pretty rough, too. He knocked him so silly he tried to grapple Big John.
Originally Posted by XPEHBAM, Feb 18 08 : 8:27pm
I truly think Tank not only veteran of the UFC .. but also.. KFC...
AstroBouncer is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome