Fedor-Rogers Draws 5.46 Million - How much of a threat to the UFC is SF? - Page 2 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 11-10-2009, 11:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Amatuer
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 188
flexor has a spectacular aura aboutflexor has a spectacular aura aboutflexor has a spectacular aura aboutflexor has a spectacular aura aboutflexor has a spectacular aura aboutflexor has a spectacular aura aboutflexor has a spectacular aura aboutflexor has a spectacular aura aboutflexor has a spectacular aura aboutflexor has a spectacular aura aboutflexor has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by capjo View Post
of course free fight cards on a national broadcast channel are going to draw much more viewership than a pay Per View event.

This is why Dana is always speaking about putting together a deal with a national tv outlet for both periodic major fight events and weekly cards for up and comers. Similar to the old days of boxing where we would get to see Ali vs Frazer on ABC or Friday Night Fights on USA or ESPN.

The Strikforce card this past weekend was very good but I doubt highly the Zuffa boys are worried much if at all.

Remember who has the stable full of talent!
This is one of those incremental things that may not have a huge impact but points toward an unwanted eventual loss of market share for the UFC.

The viewership #'s may not have been stellar, but they were more than enough for CBS executives to take notice. The percentage increase for their target demo was up like 267% or some shit, so they will make it a priority to exploit that.

I do wish Dana would get the f*&$#*g WEC on network tv. That would be a bonus for the true fans, a good learning platform for new fans, and a positive trend for the Zuffa umbrella. The WEC is the shit right now.
flexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 11-10-2009, 11:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: parts unknown
Posts: 2,638
alizio Is Beloved By Allalizio Is Beloved By Allalizio Is Beloved By Allalizio Is Beloved By Allalizio Is Beloved By Allalizio Is Beloved By Allalizio Is Beloved By Allalizio Is Beloved By Allalizio Is Beloved By Allalizio Is Beloved By Allalizio Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexor View Post
This is one of those incremental things that may not have a huge impact but points toward an unwanted eventual loss of market share for the UFC.

The viewership #'s may not have been stellar, but they were more than enough for CBS executives to take notice. The percentage increase for their target demo was up like 267% or some shit, so they will make it a priority to exploit that.

I do wish Dana would get the f*&$#*g WEC on network tv. That would be a bonus for the true fans, a good learning platform for new fans, and a positive trend for the Zuffa umbrella. The WEC is the shit right now.
you really think CBS wants to lose over half its viewership in a primetime slot to gain viewers in one demo?? Sounds like dumb business to me.
alizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tim Sylvia Sucks
 
flourhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 965
flourhead will become famous soon enoughflourhead will become famous soon enoughflourhead will become famous soon enoughflourhead will become famous soon enoughflourhead will become famous soon enoughflourhead will become famous soon enoughflourhead will become famous soon enoughflourhead will become famous soon enoughflourhead will become famous soon enoughflourhead will become famous soon enoughflourhead will become famous soon enough
my favorite piece of brilliant commentary occurred while brett had fedor in the clinch against the cage and was kneeing his thighs:"little dirty boxing there." yeah dumbass
flourhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Heavyweight
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,064
420atalon Is Destined For Greatness420atalon Is Destined For Greatness420atalon Is Destined For Greatness420atalon Is Destined For Greatness420atalon Is Destined For Greatness420atalon Is Destined For Greatness420atalon Is Destined For Greatness420atalon Is Destined For Greatness420atalon Is Destined For Greatness420atalon Is Destined For Greatness420atalon Is Destined For Greatness
So Strikeforce puts on a multifight event with an absolutely stacked card(by their standards) with one of the best fighters in the world and draws 5.46 million viewers.

The UFC runs a stupid reality tv show, has Kimbo fight a fat dude and they draw 5.3 million viewers.

I don't see any reason to think that Strikeforce could/will be a threat to the UFC.
420atalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:02 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: parts unknown
Posts: 2,638
alizio Is Beloved By Allalizio Is Beloved By Allalizio Is Beloved By Allalizio Is Beloved By Allalizio Is Beloved By Allalizio Is Beloved By Allalizio Is Beloved By Allalizio Is Beloved By Allalizio Is Beloved By Allalizio Is Beloved By Allalizio Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420atalon View Post
So Strikeforce puts on a multifight event with an absolutely stacked card(by their standards) with one of the best fighters in the world and draws 5.46 million viewers.

The UFC runs a stupid reality tv show, has Kimbo fight a fat dude and they draw 5.3 million viewers.

I don't see any reason to think that Strikeforce could/will be a threat to the UFC.
I think the most telling part is Spike is a specialty channel and CBS is a major network. The advantage for CBS over Spike is huge. The UFC has basically given Spike the viewership of young male adults and they have taken it and ran with some.... ummm interesting shows like manswers and deadliest warrior etc etc stuff that would never fly on major network TV.

Dana and the UFC just do good business, fair business imo. I think they could have ran to a major network salavating for the UFC but i think they will stick to those loyal to them from the start, its worked out good so far. I imagine a free UFC card on network TV featuring the top 2 stars in the UFC popularity wise (i would personally go with GSP and Brock Lesnar) would get 10mil+ and i think thats setting the bar low. The UFC is on another level in terms of promotion and marketing. CBS seems clueless, they should steal some ppl from Spike (just dont show the same damn Machida "heart of discipline" commercial every 2min plz!!!!) and learn how to market MMA properly. Until anybody outside of the UFC shows any penchant for marketing MMA to the masses, they have nothing to fear.
alizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:02 AM   #16 (permalink)
Resident Drunk
 
MagiK11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,535
MagiK11 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMagiK11 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMagiK11 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMagiK11 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMagiK11 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMagiK11 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMagiK11 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMagiK11 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMagiK11 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMagiK11 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMagiK11 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420atalon View Post
So Strikeforce puts on a multifight event with an absolutely stacked card(by their standards) with one of the best fighters in the world and draws 5.46 million viewers.

The UFC runs a stupid reality tv show, has Kimbo fight a fat dude and they draw 5.3 million viewers.

I don't see any reason to think that Strikeforce could/will be a threat to the UFC.
Strikeforce "could" be a threat to the UFC if they really play their cards right, but in all honesty I doubt it'll happen. Right now they are not a threat per say but are definitely biting into the UFC's niche. Overall I think it's great and us being the fans of MMA will benefit from those two organizations competing.
__________________

1. BJ "The Prodigy" Penn
2. Dan "Hollywood" Henderson
3. George "Rush" St Pierre
MagiK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:08 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: parts unknown
Posts: 2,638
alizio Is Beloved By Allalizio Is Beloved By Allalizio Is Beloved By Allalizio Is Beloved By Allalizio Is Beloved By Allalizio Is Beloved By Allalizio Is Beloved By Allalizio Is Beloved By Allalizio Is Beloved By Allalizio Is Beloved By Allalizio Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagiK11 View Post
Strikeforce "could" be a threat to the UFC if they really play their cards right, but in all honesty I doubt it'll happen. Right now they are not a threat per say but are definitely biting into the UFC's niche. Overall I think it's great and us being the fans of MMA will benefit from those two organizations competing.
Did fans benefit when the NFL was two seperate leagues?? Or when the NHL was?? Wayne Gretzky started off in the WHA would we have been better off if they never merged with the NHL and we could just argue that he was the greatest??

Half the threads in here are about fights that will never take place, that sucks imo and could change if one organization takes over ALL the top talent and becomes the "pros". Why is the NBA the "pros"?? If your getting paid to ball your a pro, but the NBA is where all the best go, it gives the fans what they want and the players the $ and promotion they want, win/win to me. The UFC could have minor league deals with smaller orgs, taking talent up and sending talent down (at a cost that would be negoiated of course).

Anyways, thats my ideal, sorry Old School Pride FC fans, the UFC crushed you and took you over, but we are BETTER off for it, arent we?? I know you hated it at 1st, but now, admit it, you LOVE it. Or do you miss wondering what Shogun vs Chuck would be like etc etc etc do you miss having different rules, different and equally horrible judging (pride was worse) and guys allowed to do drugs in some places...

The UFC has proven they are the only organization in the world that can consistently hold on to top talent, promote like no other, give fans good cards and treat them to fights they wanna see and have the best production quality. Once upon a time the NBA, NFL and others were in competition with other leagues, the best one wins and devours the rest, fans win.

Last edited by alizio : 11-11-2009 at 12:10 AM.
alizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:24 AM   #18 (permalink)
I eat babies
 
WouldLuv2FightU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Troy, Ohio
Posts: 7,647
Blog Entries: 3
WouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He CrossesWouldLuv2FightU Is Respected By All He Crosses
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua7789 View Post
This thread has made me wonder something about Fedor. I dont speak Russian, dont live in Russia, and dont know any Russian people. Ive always wondered if Fedor actually has a more magnetic and entertaining personality but we just lose all of that in translation.
In his interviews he is always soft spoken. But I've seen youtube and dailymotion videos of him being a little more natural and he seems like a totally normal guy. I watched a vid of his reaction while watching Aleks vs CroCop and he was acting like any other normal guy would watching his bro getting KTFOed. He was pissed and cursing Mirko out bad (to the TV not to his face).


As for the OP, what the hell kinda ratings are those? Those age groups overlap each other on each one. I confuse.
WouldLuv2FightU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:52 AM   #19 (permalink)
Amatuer
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 188
flexor has a spectacular aura aboutflexor has a spectacular aura aboutflexor has a spectacular aura aboutflexor has a spectacular aura aboutflexor has a spectacular aura aboutflexor has a spectacular aura aboutflexor has a spectacular aura aboutflexor has a spectacular aura aboutflexor has a spectacular aura aboutflexor has a spectacular aura aboutflexor has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by alizio View Post
you really think CBS wants to lose over half its viewership in a primetime slot to gain viewers in one demo?? Sounds like dumb business to me.
Absolutely not. That's not my point. I think it simply moves mma up the priority list for the network, not thinking time slot specific. It is one more slight movement for the competition of the UFC. And up to this point Dana has pretty much acted like he doesnt give a damn. It's an opportunity for someone to capitalize on and they will. The UFC has more chance of success, but SF is the one with the foot in the door. Again I don't see anyone bringing Zuffa to their knees but I would prefer to see them continue their aggressive pursuit of mma dominace. The kind that led to them acquiring Pride.
flexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:25 AM   #20 (permalink)
Resident Drunk
 
MagiK11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,535
MagiK11 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMagiK11 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMagiK11 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMagiK11 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMagiK11 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMagiK11 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMagiK11 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMagiK11 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMagiK11 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMagiK11 Is Beyond A Rankings SystemMagiK11 Is Beyond A Rankings System
Quote:
Originally Posted by alizio View Post
Did fans benefit when the NFL was two seperate leagues?? Or when the NHL was?? Wayne Gretzky started off in the WHA would we have been better off if they never merged with the NHL and we could just argue that he was the greatest??

Half the threads in here are about fights that will never take place, that sucks imo and could change if one organization takes over ALL the top talent and becomes the "pros". Why is the NBA the "pros"?? If your getting paid to ball your a pro, but the NBA is where all the best go, it gives the fans what they want and the players the $ and promotion they want, win/win to me. The UFC could have minor league deals with smaller orgs, taking talent up and sending talent down (at a cost that would be negoiated of course).

Anyways, thats my ideal, sorry Old School Pride FC fans, the UFC crushed you and took you over, but we are BETTER off for it, arent we?? I know you hated it at 1st, but now, admit it, you LOVE it. Or do you miss wondering what Shogun vs Chuck would be like etc etc etc do you miss having different rules, different and equally horrible judging (pride was worse) and guys allowed to do drugs in some places...

The UFC has proven they are the only organization in the world that can consistently hold on to top talent, promote like no other, give fans good cards and treat them to fights they wanna see and have the best production quality. Once upon a time the NBA, NFL and others were in competition with other leagues, the best one wins and devours the rest, fans win.
I must say I disagree with a few things in your post! I love the UFC and watch all their events but I also like looking at other organizations such as Dream, K1, (use to enjoy Pride) and am currently enjoying Strikeforce. You don't need a monopolistic system for us fans to enjoy a sport.

I do see your point about the NFL and NHL but I could care less if some fights don't take place. Yeah I'd love to see Fedor, and a handful of other fighters fight some of the guys in the UFC, but it won't kill me if they don't.

Getting back to the point you're making, I could see how it would be cool if all the fighters were under one organization but that'll never work because the UFC is too cut throat. In the UFC the fighters fight not to lose instead of fighting to win many times with the pressures that company puts on them. Lose a few fights and you're cut in their model.

While when I would watch the old Afflication shows, Pride, and currently Strikeforce I see the guys letting it all on the line and actually fighting to win and finish the guy. So that is one of the reasons I like other shows coming up instead of having them all under the UFC.

And if you don't agree with any of this we can agree to disagree.
__________________

1. BJ "The Prodigy" Penn
2. Dan "Hollywood" Henderson
3. George "Rush" St Pierre
MagiK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios