What happens if Silva loses to RJJ? - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 11-20-2009, 08:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Break The Walls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 25
Break The Walls has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOURMOMWASHERE View Post
Striking isn't just "boxing", you ignorant tard. MMA hosts many top kick boxers and muay thai specialists.
One: Relax

Two: I know that

Three: I don't get your point. You're just pointing out the obvious.
__________________
Фёдор Владимирович Емельяненко - Nuff said.
Break The Walls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 11-20-2009, 08:27 PM   #22 (permalink)
I Finish Threads
 
HexRei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,463
HexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Break The Walls View Post
That's because boxers aren't expected to know crap about grappling or kicks.

Now MMA on the other hand claims that their fighters know the striking as good as anyone. They are yet to prove it.
Who claimed that? Are they really representative of the entire sport?

And regardless, I would say that boxing is part of MMA and a well-rounded martial artist should be well-schooled at boxing for MMA (which is stylistically different from a traditional boxer because they have to worry about takedowns and kicks) but a person would have to be a fool to think that, all else being equal, the best MMA fighter is going to better at traditional boxing that the best pure boxer. I have never believed that.
__________________
Objection, Your Honor. He's reciting the opening to Quantum Leap.
HexRei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #23 (permalink)
Lightweight
 
dlxrevolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,500
dlxrevolution is on another level nowdlxrevolution is on another level nowdlxrevolution is on another level nowdlxrevolution is on another level nowdlxrevolution is on another level nowdlxrevolution is on another level nowdlxrevolution is on another level nowdlxrevolution is on another level nowdlxrevolution is on another level nowdlxrevolution is on another level nowdlxrevolution is on another level now
The way I see it, if Silva loss to RJJ in a boxing match, he would still be top f4f fighter in the world, he just wouldn't be the top p4p boxer.

It also depends on how he would lose to RJJ how his p4p fighting status would be effected or whether it even would. If he were to lose to Roy Jones jr by decision, than it really wouldn't matter in terms of his MMA status. But if he were to get knocked out by Roy Jones jr, then people would start to question his chin, and it would also effect his p4p status a little bit.
dlxrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 392
YOURMOMWASHERE TrollYOURMOMWASHERE TrollYOURMOMWASHERE TrollYOURMOMWASHERE TrollYOURMOMWASHERE TrollYOURMOMWASHERE TrollYOURMOMWASHERE TrollYOURMOMWASHERE TrollYOURMOMWASHERE TrollYOURMOMWASHERE TrollYOURMOMWASHERE Troll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Break The Walls View Post
One: Relax

Two: I know that

Three: I don't get your point. You're just pointing out the obvious.
You said MMA hasn't been proven to have "strikers as good as anyone".
YOURMOMWASHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:49 PM   #25 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Break The Walls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 25
Break The Walls has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexRei View Post
Who claimed that? Are they really representative of the entire sport?

And regardless, I would say that boxing is part of MMA and a well-rounded martial artist should be well-schooled at boxing for MMA (which is stylistically different from a traditional boxer because they have to worry about takedowns and kicks) but a person would have to be a fool to think that, all else being equal, the best MMA fighter is going to better at traditional boxing that the best pure boxer. I have never believed that.
Neither have I.
Unfortunately the majority of the casual fans who don't know MMA are often very simple-minded (a fool in other words) and this has lead to general consensus being that MMA can't be taken seriously because it doesn't require skill.
And everyone knows boxing does. Sum it up and you've got the solution and my point...

Hopefully.

I guess I have to break it down part by part and see how much we are on the same page.

1) The boxers (headlined by Mayweather Jr) and boxing/casual fight sports fans say that MMA doesn't require skill, so MMA isn't a credible fight sport. Agree?

2) For these people boxing is (unfortunately) the true meter for fighting skill. Agree?

3) So for MMA to gain credibility among this type of people it has to show that its representant can perform well in boxing. Agree?

If you do agree on all of the three then you can't say that Silva losing to RJJ doesn't affect anything, because it does affect the credibility of MMA one way or another.
__________________
Фёдор Владимирович Емельяненко - Nuff said.
Break The Walls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:56 PM   #26 (permalink)
I Finish Threads
 
HexRei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,463
HexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By AllHexRei Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Break The Walls View Post
Neither have I.
Unfortunately the majority of the casual fans who don't know MMA are often very simple-minded (a fool in other words) and this has lead to general consensus being that MMA can't be taken seriously because it doesn't require skill.
And everyone knows boxing does. Sum it up and you've got the solution and my point...

Hopefully.

I guess I have to break it down part by part and see how much we are on the same page.

1) The boxers (headlined by Mayweather Jr) and boxing/casual fight sports fans say that MMA doesn't require skill, so MMA isn't a credible fight sport. Agree?

2) For these people boxing is (unfortunately) the true meter for fighting skill. Agree?

3) So for MMA to gain credibility among this type of people it has to show that its representant can perform well in boxing. Agree?

If you do agree on all of the three then you can't say that Silva losing to RJJ doesn't affect anything, because it does affect the credibility of MMA one way or another.
Sure, boxers are going to care. Some MMA fans will care, and some might even let it affect their perception of Silva as an MMA striker. But those people don't really decide Silva's P4P status in MMA, which is really what I was replying to, per the first post on the thread. Sorry if that was unclear, I guess I should have been more specific about that point.

In other words, I don't think that the more knowledgable MMA aficionados, like those creating the rankings on the various well-known mma-related media outlets (sherdog, MMAjunkie, 5ozPain, Bloody Elbow, MMAWeekly, etc) are going to take Silva vs RJJ very seriously in terms of his MMA P4P status.
__________________
Objection, Your Honor. He's reciting the opening to Quantum Leap.
HexRei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:58 PM   #27 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Break The Walls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 25
Break The Walls has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOURMOMWASHERE View Post
You said MMA hasn't been proven to have "strikers as good as anyone".
...to boxers and their fanbase.

That is why you see Mayweather Jr bashing MMA, because in his eyes MMA "doesn't require skill, but boxing does" (he actually said that himself).
If he, and everyone else who think the same way he does would had been proven by some way that they are wrong, they wouldn't be talking like that. But they do because in their eyes MMA hasn't proven to be a credible fight sport. Did I manage finally to explain myself enough?

Now if Silva goes and atleast performs well agains a true, pure boxer, they cannot say that type of crap anymore. This is what we're all hoping for.
But if Silva loses clearly then they will use is as evidence of them being right, and unfortunately it will be VERY difficult for MMA to say anything to convince them if the top striker in the MMA gets manhandled by a guy who's not even the cream of boxing anymore.
__________________
Фёдор Владимирович Емельяненко - Nuff said.

Last edited by Break The Walls : 11-20-2009 at 09:00 PM. Reason: bad english
Break The Walls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:05 PM   #28 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Break The Walls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 25
Break The Walls has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexRei View Post
Sure, boxers are going to care. Some MMA fans will care, and some might even let it affect their perception of Silva as an MMA striker. But those people don't really decide Silva's P4P status in MMA, which is really what I was replying to, per the first post on the thread. Sorry if that was unclear, I guess I should have been more specific about that point.

In other words, I don't think that the more knowledgable MMA aficionados, like those creating the rankings on the various well-known mma-related media outlets (sherdog, MMAjunkie, 5ozPain, Bloody Elbow, MMAWeekly, etc) are going to take Silva vs RJJ very seriously in terms of his MMA P4P status.
Oh, yeah, I couldn't agree more. We've been on the same page in that all the time a hug maybe now?

What I wanted to point out is that there's far more in line than P4P-rankings in this fight, so saying that it will affect nothing is hugely misleading.
But as rankings and stuff, buh, obviously you have to be a little mentally challenged to let an exhibition box match affect them.
__________________
Фёдор Владимирович Емельяненко - Nuff said.

Last edited by Break The Walls : 11-20-2009 at 09:06 PM. Reason: more bad english, and sorry for dp
Break The Walls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:19 PM   #29 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 64
JustLo Is Beloved By AllJustLo Is Beloved By AllJustLo Is Beloved By AllJustLo Is Beloved By AllJustLo Is Beloved By AllJustLo Is Beloved By AllJustLo Is Beloved By AllJustLo Is Beloved By AllJustLo Is Beloved By AllJustLo Is Beloved By AllJustLo Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlxrevolution View Post
The way I see it, if Silva loss to RJJ in a boxing match, he would still be top f4f fighter in the world, he just wouldn't be the top p4p boxer.

It also depends on how he would lose to RJJ how his p4p fighting status would be effected or whether it even would. If he were to lose to Roy Jones jr by decision, than it really wouldn't matter in terms of his MMA status. But if he were to get knocked out by Roy Jones jr, then people would start to question his chin, and it would also effect his p4p status a little bit.
.... Lol. He would still be the top p4p fighter, he just wouldn't be the top p4p boxer? I hope you're not implying that Silva is even in the top 30 p4p boxer list?
JustLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:28 PM   #30 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 32
jcc78 Trolljcc78 Trolljcc78 Trolljcc78 Trolljcc78 Trolljcc78 Trolljcc78 Trolljcc78 Trolljcc78 Trolljcc78 Trolljcc78 Troll
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLo View Post
.... Lol. He would still be the top p4p fighter, he just wouldn't be the top p4p boxer? I hope you're not implying that Silva is even in the top 30 p4p boxer list?
I would list silva in the top 200 boxers let alone top 30.
jcc78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios