Guy Mezger's Illness? - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 05:27 PM
Lightweight
 
randyspankstito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: eugene, oregon
Posts: 1,673
                     
I definitely do blame pride for the draw, but ken is a moron. How many times have we seen him like that in the ring or the cage with no audio, but the same body language and gesticulation. Seriously, it's metzgers fight, why can't he be the one prancing around and yelling like Bobby "the brain" Heenan?

Ken should have stayed out of the ring and yelled at the officials from outside the ropes if he had a problem.

Like I said though, I haven't seen the whole fight, so I don't have the full picture of what was going on.

Although I have seen ken several other times, in the ring when he is not part of the fight that has taken place or is taking place, spouting garbage out of his mouth and trying to get a little spotlight on his neanderthal ass.

This is coming from somebody who is somewhat of a ken shamrock fan as well.
randyspankstito is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 05:39 PM
attention whore
 
Damone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Branson, Missouri
Posts: 14,445
Blog Entries: 1
                     
Keep in mind that Ken is basically a former pro wrestler. Most former pro wrestlers are glory hogs, and Ken really is no different. However, Ken used to be pretty passionate about fighting(And the Den), so him going a little overboard was somewhat the norm. I see where you're coming from, but Ken was totally in the right to yell at the Pride officials. Him yelling at Sakuraba was a little harsh though, because even though he clearly lost, Sakuraba atleast tried(And failed) to defeat Mezger. Oh well, life went on and Saku defeated Royce in quite possibly the biggest fight in MMA history.

Damone is offline  
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 05:09 AM
Flyweight
 
TheGracieHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Scotland
Posts: 398
   
Yer right man Ken was in the right to have a go at the officials. Every one talks about how he complains about things a lot but every time he has complained I can't see why he shouldn't have. In every other sport competitors complain if they have been wronged so why should he be any different. He is Guys mentor and it's just like a manager or coach of another sport complaining about his team getting screwed

www.myspace.com/swingkinker1


Yushin Okami
Ken Shamrock
Kazushi Sakuraba
Dan Severn
TheGracieHunter is offline  
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 06:00 PM
I eat babies
 
WouldLuv2FightU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Troy, Ohio
Posts: 7,647
Blog Entries: 3
                     
Put yourself in Ken's shoes and try to say you wouldn't do the same thing. From what I have read they all signed a contract prior to the fight saying there would be NO DRAWS. But PRIDE went ahead and ruled it a draw anyway. I watched the fight and Guy clearly won and the fact that they signed a contract saying NO DRAWS and they ruled it a draw anyway is grounds for Ken flipping out. He had every right to and the japs were just like "uuhhh, uuuh, wtf is he saying i don't speak english". Playing dumb.
WouldLuv2FightU is offline  
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 06:11 PM
attention whore
 
Damone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Branson, Missouri
Posts: 14,445
Blog Entries: 1
                     
Yea, I watched the fight last night, and it was clear that Guy won. I've seen this many times before, but I got to sit down, and get a clear view of what was going on. Guy won the standup, and rarely gave Saku a chance to take him down. Once Saku took him down, Guy would either neutralize him, or stand right back up. Very good showing from Mezger, and an absolutely clueless showing from Sakuraba. It just showed how sleazy Pride could be. They even bad mouthed Mezger as well.

I'm convinced that Guy is the most underrated fighter of all time. This is the only board that actually gives him the credit he deserves.


Last edited by Damone; 12-27-2006 at 06:15 PM.
Damone is offline  
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 08:10 PM
Lightweight
 
randyspankstito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: eugene, oregon
Posts: 1,673
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLuv2FightU
Put yourself in Ken's shoes and try to say you wouldn't do the same thing. From what I have read they all signed a contract prior to the fight saying there would be NO DRAWS. But PRIDE went ahead and ruled it a draw anyway. I watched the fight and Guy clearly won and the fact that they signed a contract saying NO DRAWS and they ruled it a draw anyway is grounds for Ken flipping out. He had every right to and the japs were just like "uuhhh, uuuh, wtf is he saying i don't speak english". Playing dumb.

Didn't know about the no draws contract. Thats pretty f'ed up then. I gotta see the original fight. Metzger is definitely an underrated fighter. Still, why couldn't Guy speak for himself? It looked like he was just chillin' in his corner, catching his breath for the extra round untl Ken ordered him out of the ring (and then stuck around to gripe some more).
randyspankstito is offline  
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 08:30 PM
I eat babies
 
WouldLuv2FightU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Troy, Ohio
Posts: 7,647
Blog Entries: 3
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyspankstito
Didn't know about the no draws contract. Thats pretty f'ed up then. I gotta see the original fight. Metzger is definitely an underrated fighter. Still, why couldn't Guy speak for himself? It looked like he was just chillin' in his corner, catching his breath for the extra round untl Ken ordered him out of the ring (and then stuck around to gripe some more).
I don't know, maybe he was just letting Ken deal with it. He knows Ken personally and knew him for many many years so I'm sure he had his reasoning for keeping his mouth shut. I don't know for sure why but he is a student of Ken so the respectful thing to do would be to let him do his thing and not get involved I guess. Then again he coulda been thinking "Jeez Ken let it go it's not a big deal". But somehow I doubt that.
WouldLuv2FightU is offline  
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 08:39 PM
Lightweight
 
randyspankstito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: eugene, oregon
Posts: 1,673
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLuv2FightU
I don't know, maybe he was just letting Ken deal with it. He knows Ken personally and knew him for many many years so I'm sure he had his reasoning for keeping his mouth shut. I don't know for sure why but he is a student of Ken so the respectful thing to do would be to let him do his thing and not get involved I guess. Then again he coulda been thinking "Jeez Ken let it go it's not a big deal". But somehow I doubt that.

Oh, well. Looks like it was a shitty deal all around, and sakuraba KTFO shamrock down the road a bit as well.
randyspankstito is offline  
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 09:17 PM
I eat babies
 
WouldLuv2FightU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Troy, Ohio
Posts: 7,647
Blog Entries: 3
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyspankstito
Oh, well. Looks like it was a shitty deal all around, and sakuraba KTFO shamrock down the road a bit as well.
I still haven't made up my mind on that one yet. I don't know if it was stopped early or not. Maybe I just didn't expect Saku to KO him so fast, or KO him at all. I don't know...sucks for Ken either way.
WouldLuv2FightU is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome