Anderson Silva review
This is my opinion of the strengths of Silva and some good match-ups.
Anderson Silva: Most dominant Striker currently in his weight range.
1. Unbelievable Precision he has in his striking game with his punches, kicks.
2. No other striker in his weight category can challenge him in this realm from his reach, height, precision and power.
3. His cardio levels most don’t realize is also on a different level.
4. His experience level.
5. High mental strength
Extremely good on the ground game as well.
If you watched the fight vs. Travis Lutter it was the first time I saw Anderson Silva breathing hard as the 1st round ended in his recent fights. But, that was nothing compared to the level that Lutter was coming at him. In which he got tired 2nd round and fell right into a triangle, which you wouldn’t expect from a ground game specialist like him. The thing which gave out in that fight in my opinion was Lutter’s cardio. Another recent fight I would like to focus on is the fight with Henderson. I think this was also a great display of how to beat Anderson. I think Dan Henderson was doing great 1’st round, also in fact I think he won that round. The way to beat Anderson Silva is the same style, but the problem where he messed up was he stayed on the feet far too long vs. Silva. Silva is an opponent you have to take to the ground; putting into account also his precision in the striking area. Silva has no weak area’s when it comes to the ground, feet, or cardio. There are three areas’ he can lose thou too in my opinion.
1. Anderson Silva is a loose fighter. Some of his MMA loses to nobody’s were sudden bursts of energy on his opponents where they caught him in a random move and submitted him. For example he fought a Japanese fighter who he was dominating on the feet. His opponent out of desperation does a leg scissor sweep and a heel hook to submit Silva. No one saw it coming and couldn’t believe how Silva lost. This is a good example, Silva’s calm and cool state is weak to explosive quickness where key players like GSP is one of the best at. The problem with GSP thou is he is explosive, but doesn’t do unpredictable moves. Moves that Silva isn’t used too, and doesn’t train for is key in this area.
2. Another area of losses that comes from Silva is Ground and Pound. Players like Tito Ortiz was perfect in this area. It is one of the most stupidest things to watch in my opinion in a MMA fight. A fighter will use wrestling to take down an opponent sit in his guard and just ground and pound till the round ends. Next round, stay outside his reach wait for a chance to shoot again and repeat. Attempting passes only to prevent the ref from standing them up and wait till the fight is over. Silva has lost some of his fights to this style as well. In my opinion, I think in a rematch this is the style Henderson will use against Silva again. Only flaw with this technique in a 5 round match is cardio. Someone has to have the cardio for the constant ground and pound and take downs which drain a lot from you. Where the person who is taken down will rest and have much more energy which as rounds progress will make it much tougher to be taken down and much easier to be caught with something. For example; Player A=Stand up, Player B=Wrestler, Player A sat on his back in first two rounds. Player B really tired as he keeps trying to take down his opponent. He shoots, moves into a clinch, Player A explodes with knees which player B can’t prevent because he is so gassed from the previous rounds.
Anderson Silva’s standing style only way to be countered is someone who is as skilled in precision, power, and speed. Who has a reach advantage on Silva which will force Silva to come in. Silva always waits for his opponents to come at him to feel the rhythm of his opponents and there timing. This will not work against another defense stand up fighter who has a reach advantage on him. A good example of this would be Lyoto Machida.
Good fights I would love to see with Anderson Silva in UFC.
1. Lyoto Machida vs Anderson Silva which I give to Machida. Both are defense fighters. 55/ 45 Anderson Silva is a much better striker in my opinion. But Machida is a defense fighter who waits for his shots and explodes. This counters Silva’s style who is also a defense fighter. The difference in this fight would be reach advantage and take downs. Silva could still win due to cardio which he beats Machida in or submission.
2. Thiago Alves vs Anderson Silva which I give to Silva but would a hell of a war. 40 / 60 Would be a awesome stand up fight. Alves has a chance of knocking out Silva which probably re-solve in the opposite. Still I would expect this fight to be a great war. I give it to Silva due to reach and weight advantage.
3. GSP vs Anderson Silva which I give too GSP. GSP would play it smart, explode take him down and sit on him. Anderson Silva still could win if he manages to catch him during the take downs or submit him. When GSP fights Alves this would be a good preview of what would happen vs. Silva. 55 / 45
In review: Anderson Silva has no equal in the stand up game in his weight class. Only a few can challenge him on the ground. Lastly, no ground fighters can keep up with his cardio and explosiveness.
Ways he can lose:
1. Ground and pound: which would take someone who has better cardio then Silva.
2. Catching Silva with a kick or punch: which would take a awesome stand up fighter on top of getting lucky.
3. Unpredictable explosive move: A random move where you explode onto Silva and catch him in something. Silva as the rounds progress gets in an grove and relaxes.
Last edited by Johnathanrs; 10-10-2008 at 01:00 AM.