UFC 107 - Frank Mir preparing for a stand-up war against Cheick Kongo - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Super Heavyweight
 
marcthegame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,222
                     
UFC 107 - Frank Mir preparing for a stand-up war against Cheick Kongo

Former UFC heavyweight champion, Frank Mir has revealed he wants to stand and trade with arguably the best striker in the division, Cheick Kongo in just a few short weeks time at UFC 107 in Memphis, Tennessee, saying to take it to the ground and get the submission would prove nothing.

Speaking to CageReport.net, Mir said:

I mean I wasn't supposed to beat Nogueira standing and look what happened there. I'm confident that I can strike with Cheick [Kongo] and make it competitive, my punches are a lot quicker than his, plus I know how to work angles better, trust me I know how to shut guys off. The thing is if I were to go out there and submit him in less than a minute It would prove nothing, a true martial artists would want to challenge himself and the challenge presented in front of me right now is to out-strike someone who on paper is the better striker.

The pair will square off in the co-main event of the evening and find themselves as two of the few heavyweights currently fit enough to compete. Will Mir be able stop a man whos only losses inside the octagon have come by way of decision or will Kongo take the next step up in his career and beat someone considered to be in the top five in the world.
marcthegame is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 05:22 AM
Amatuer
 
Kang-War's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 110
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcthegame View Post
Former UFC heavyweight champion, Frank Mir has revealed he wants to stand and trade with arguably the best striker in the division, Cheick Kongo in just a few short weeks time at UFC 107 in Memphis, Tennessee, saying to take it to the ground and get the submission would prove nothing.

Speaking to CageReport.net, Mir said:

“I mean I wasn't supposed to beat Nogueira standing and look what happened there. I'm confident that I can strike with Cheick [Kongo] and make it competitive, my punches are a lot quicker than his, plus I know how to work angles better, trust me I know how to shut guys off. The thing is if I were to go out there and submit him in less than a minute It would prove nothing, a true martial artists would want to challenge himself and the challenge presented in front of me right now is to out-strike someone who on paper is the better striker.”

The pair will square off in the co-main event of the evening and find themselves as two of the few heavyweights currently fit enough to compete. Will Mir be able stop a man who’s only losses inside the octagon have come by way of decision or will Kongo take the next step up in his career and beat someone considered to be in the top five in the world.
I hope he is kidding Strike with Kongo
Kang-War is offline  
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 06:09 AM
British Bulldog
 
LjStronge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bracknell, England
Posts: 930
                     
I would love for him to stand and beat Kongo on the feet. Watching him fight Noguira was beautiful, I don't care that Minatouro wasn't at his best, it was still beautiful striking from Mir.

The thing is, why risk it? Ok, fine, If you want to prove yourself and work your stand up better, then do it in a gym with sparring or if you really want to do it in a competitive match, don't do it with someone who has heavy hands.

I know Kongo is more of a TKO man rather thank a KO man, but he's still going to put you on your arse.

Mir should just embarress him on the ground in my opinion. I love seeing Mir pull sick subs.

Still, I think Mir is just saying this for mind games. He'll take him down.


Big Thanks to KryOnicle for the sig!

Fav Fighters

HW: Frank Mir
LH: Lil Nog
MW: Bisping
WW: Hardy
LW: Ross Pearson
LjStronge is offline  
post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 06:22 AM
Light Heavyweight
 
Biowza's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,474
Blog Entries: 1
                     
I really hope Mir tries to stand and trade with Kongo. He's getting laid out if he does.

That being said though, he won't. He'll take him down and try and work a submission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdun11
This is by far the easiest and safest pick of the year in mma.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdun11
Nog's only chance is one of his miracle submissions, after taking a beating the entire fight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdun11
But its not gay if you watch it with a hot chik.
Biowza is offline  
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 07:03 AM
BEWARE OF THE PENGUIN!
 
No_Mercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 12,383
                     
Uh oh...another Frank Shamrock. Cheick has too much range + leg kicks. Tough battle for Mir to outstrike a pure striker. Regardless I like his style and mentality. It would prove nothing if he took Cheick down on the ground. Lets see if he sticks to that plan...
No_Mercy is online now  
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 07:07 AM
<= MODERATOR=>
 
Xerxes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,224
                     
I think Mir will stand with him for several minutes, see how the striking goes.

Cheick better KO him before Mir works for a TD, not that he will 100% be able to get it..

Forgot to add that it won't shock me if Kongo TDd Mir lol. He just isnt the smartest tool in the shed.
Xerxes is offline  
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 07:31 AM
Lightweight
 
Freelancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,658
                     
Mir will trade with Kongo, but as soon as Kongo shows him what a real striker is, he'll go to the ground.

"He who defeats himself is the mightiest warrior" - Confucius(I think)
Freelancer is offline  
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 07:48 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,811
                     
I think Mir will take some serious hits in the first 2 minutes. After that he hopefully realaises that he needs to take him down. If he doesn't go to the ground, it will be a second round TKO or KO for Kongo!
BobbyCooper is offline  
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 07:50 AM
Light Heavyweight
 
Biowza's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,474
Blog Entries: 1
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
I think Mir will stand with him for several minutes, see how the striking goes.

Cheick better KO him before Mir works for a TD, not that he will 100% be able to get it..

Forgot to add that it won't shock me if Kongo TDd Mir lol. He just isnt the smartest tool in the shed.
This is true. For some reason I picture them standing for a bit, Kongo for some odd reason deciding to clinch with Mir then work for a TD. At which point he is promptly swept and subbed.

God damn it Kongo. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdun11
This is by far the easiest and safest pick of the year in mma.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdun11
Nog's only chance is one of his miracle submissions, after taking a beating the entire fight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdun11
But its not gay if you watch it with a hot chik.
Biowza is offline  
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 07:53 AM
It's Hammer Time!
 
Hammerlock2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 9,589
                     
I think Kongo will be able to stuff some of Mir's takedowns (no, really, I'm not kidding). Mir doesn't really have good takedowns and he rather lives by being taken down than initiating the takedown himself. So if Kongo doesn't try for a TD, I don't really see this ending up on the ground. With that said... Kongo might just try for a takedown... good gameplanning isn't quite his style.




Rookie Hammer Squad 2015
Frankie Edgar - Dominick Cruz - Jorge Masvidal - Cat Zingano - Holly Holm
Hammerlock2.0 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome