NC vs DQ - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 12-06-2009, 01:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
DanTheJu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hurricane Alley (Daytona)
Posts: 939
DanTheJu is on another level nowDanTheJu is on another level nowDanTheJu is on another level nowDanTheJu is on another level nowDanTheJu is on another level nowDanTheJu is on another level nowDanTheJu is on another level nowDanTheJu is on another level nowDanTheJu is on another level nowDanTheJu is on another level nowDanTheJu is on another level now
NC vs DQ

There has been a lot of talk about the Jones/Hamill fight and how many people think it should have been called a No Contest and not a DQ. Well here is why it HAD to be called a DQ and not a NC.

A No Contest can only be called if a fight is stopped because of an injury to one (or both) fighters from an accidental foul. A good example of this would be two fighters leaning in and accidentally head butting each other causing a cut that forces the fight to be stopped. At that point it is ruled to be a No Contest and neither fighter is punished or rewarded.

A Disqualification will be imposed if a fight is stopped due to an intentional foul and the fouled fighter can no longer continue to fight. At that point the person who committed the intentional foul is disqualified, penalizing him with a loss (and loss of the win bonus money) and rewarding the fouled fighter with a win (and the win bonus money). A disqualification can also leave the fighter open to further fines/punishment at the discretion of the athletic commission and the promotion.

In the Jones/Hamill fight there were clear fouls that were intentional. The fight had to be stopped because of the fouls. Hamill was not able to continue so Jones had to be disqualified. It does not matter if the fouls were the direct reason for Hamill not being able to continue, as long as they contributed. A NC could not be called. It would be a reward to Jones (no loss on his recorded) and a penalty to the victim (a win not being awarded).

There was only one option and the ref took the correct path in this case!
__________________
-------------------
Dan The Ju
-------------------
DanTheJu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 12-06-2009, 01:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
<= MODERATOR=>
 
Xerxes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,224
Xerxes Is Beloved By AllXerxes Is Beloved By AllXerxes Is Beloved By AllXerxes Is Beloved By AllXerxes Is Beloved By AllXerxes Is Beloved By AllXerxes Is Beloved By AllXerxes Is Beloved By AllXerxes Is Beloved By AllXerxes Is Beloved By AllXerxes Is Beloved By All
Good thread and thanks for clearing this mess up for everybody.

It sucks for Jones but we can't say it was totally unfair.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sleepy
 
Hawndo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dundee, Scotland
Posts: 2,137
Hawndo Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatHawndo Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatHawndo Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatHawndo Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatHawndo Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatHawndo Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatHawndo Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatHawndo Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatHawndo Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatHawndo Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatHawndo Is A Pound 4 Pound Great
I disagree, I don't think the fight was stopped because of the illegal elbows, I think it was stopped cause Matt couldn't continue due to him dislocating his shoulder, which is entirely seperate from the elbow strikes. If the fight went on, doc a point for sure, but Matt was finished way before that.

Note I am not disputing the legality of the elbows, they WERE illegal, but I don't think that's why the fight was stopped.
Hawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
 
Toxic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: See that guy over in the window, with the binoculars?
Posts: 20,891
Toxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among Men
In no way should it have been a NC, I said it before Hammill may not have deserved to win but Jones definatly deserved to lose. There is no excuse to step into an MMA fight and not know or understand the rules, that is wreckless disregard for your opponents well being and is inexcusable. A loss on his record is not punishment enough but its a start.
__________________



"If you get hit and it hurts hit him back you not knocked out yet."-Joe Doerksen
The Toxic Terrors (FFL)
Demetrious Johnson*Eduardo Dantas*Rafael Silva*Zach Makovsky*Michael Page




Last edited by Toxic : 12-06-2009 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Fixing my mess up.
Toxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
<= MODERATOR=>
 
Xerxes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,224
Xerxes Is Beloved By AllXerxes Is Beloved By AllXerxes Is Beloved By AllXerxes Is Beloved By AllXerxes Is Beloved By AllXerxes Is Beloved By AllXerxes Is Beloved By AllXerxes Is Beloved By AllXerxes Is Beloved By AllXerxes Is Beloved By AllXerxes Is Beloved By All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawndo View Post
I disagree, I don't think the fight was stopped because of the illegal elbows, I think it was stopped cause Matt couldn't continue due to him dislocating his shoulder, which is entirely seperate from the elbow strikes. If the fight went on, doc a point for sure, but Matt was finished way before that.

Note I am not disputing the legality of the elbows, they WERE illegal, but I don't think that's why the fight was stopped.
This may give you a slightly different perspective on the decision.

It explains in details how the call was made
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
Seperator88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: MIDWEST
Posts: 520
Seperator88 is a jewel in the roughSeperator88 is a jewel in the roughSeperator88 is a jewel in the roughSeperator88 is a jewel in the roughSeperator88 is a jewel in the roughSeperator88 is a jewel in the roughSeperator88 is a jewel in the roughSeperator88 is a jewel in the roughSeperator88 is a jewel in the roughSeperator88 is a jewel in the roughSeperator88 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
In no way should it have been a DQ, I said it before Hammill may not have deserved to win but Jones definatly deserved to lose. There is no excuse to step into an MMA fight and not know or understand the rules, that is wreckless disregard for your opponents well being and is inexcusable. A loss on his record is not punishment enough but its a start.

I agree with your post but why in the beginning did you say it shouldn't have been a DQ, what should it have been? DQ seems the only logical ending to that fight. Unless there is some other kind of ruling that I don't know about
Seperator88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
DanTheJu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hurricane Alley (Daytona)
Posts: 939
DanTheJu is on another level nowDanTheJu is on another level nowDanTheJu is on another level nowDanTheJu is on another level nowDanTheJu is on another level nowDanTheJu is on another level nowDanTheJu is on another level nowDanTheJu is on another level nowDanTheJu is on another level nowDanTheJu is on another level nowDanTheJu is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawando
I disagree, I don't think the fight was stopped because of the illegal elbows, I think it was stopped cause Matt couldn't continue due to him dislocating his shoulder, which is entirely seperate from the elbow strikes. If the fight went on, doc a point for sure, but Matt was finished way before that.

Note I am not disputing the legality of the elbows, they WERE illegal, but I don't think that's why the fight was stopped.
You are incorect here! The fight was stopped because of the elbows. The ref stepped in and pulled Jones off because of the elbows...

The fouls may not have been the reason that Hamill could not continue but they were 100% the reason the ref stepped in!
__________________
-------------------
Dan The Ju
-------------------

Last edited by DanTheJu : 12-06-2009 at 01:40 PM.
DanTheJu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sleepy
 
Hawndo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dundee, Scotland
Posts: 2,137
Hawndo Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatHawndo Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatHawndo Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatHawndo Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatHawndo Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatHawndo Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatHawndo Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatHawndo Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatHawndo Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatHawndo Is A Pound 4 Pound GreatHawndo Is A Pound 4 Pound Great
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTheJu View Post
You are incorect here! The fight was stopped because of the elbows. The ref stepped in and pulled Jones off because of the elbows...

The fouls may not have been the reason that Hamill could not continue but they were 100% the reason the ref stepped in!
The fight wasn't stopped because of the elbows, he took Bones aside and doced a point. That was for the elbows. Then he asked Matt if he was finished, when he he said he was the fight was stopped. The elbows were illegal and nasty but I would have thought the dislocated shoulder would of been so much more painful and hindering, that was why Matt couldn't continue.

edit- gah kinda misread your post, kinda tired, but my point is still in there. Italic'd it for you.
Hawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
 
Toxic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: See that guy over in the window, with the binoculars?
Posts: 20,891
Toxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among MenToxic Is A God Among Men
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seperator88 View Post
I agree with your post but why in the beginning did you say it shouldn't have been a DQ, what should it have been? DQ seems the only logical ending to that fight. Unless there is some other kind of ruling that I don't know about
My bad, I meant NC but I got mixed up.
__________________



"If you get hit and it hurts hit him back you not knocked out yet."-Joe Doerksen
The Toxic Terrors (FFL)
Demetrious Johnson*Eduardo Dantas*Rafael Silva*Zach Makovsky*Michael Page



Toxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
DanTheJu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hurricane Alley (Daytona)
Posts: 939
DanTheJu is on another level nowDanTheJu is on another level nowDanTheJu is on another level nowDanTheJu is on another level nowDanTheJu is on another level nowDanTheJu is on another level nowDanTheJu is on another level nowDanTheJu is on another level nowDanTheJu is on another level nowDanTheJu is on another level nowDanTheJu is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawndo View Post
The fight wasn't stopped because of the elbows, he took Bones aside and doced a point. That was for the elbows. Then he asked Matt if he was finished, when he he said he was the fight was stopped. The elbows were illegal and nasty but I would have thought the dislocated shoulder would of been so much more painful and hindering, that was why Matt couldn't continue.
It doesnt matter what hurt Matt, what matters is he was fouled and could not continue after being fouled... The fight was stopped because of the foul, not because of the shoulder!
__________________
-------------------
Dan The Ju
-------------------
DanTheJu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios