Was BJ right is Diego an over achiever ? - Page 3 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
 
Toxic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: See that guy over in the window, with the binoculars?
Posts: 21,821
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckeever View Post
Toxic for some reason or another doesn't like certain fighters, therefore he also really criticises and under rates their fighting ability. Average striking at best, hmm no he is definitely above average. He is also an excellent grappler and his wrestling is far from just above average. Being mentally tough for all your fights doesn't get you as far as Diego has come, he has the skills to go with it.

Do i see him beating Penn? Nope, but he is definitely going to put up a better fight than Kenny Florian who like BJ said him self, "he just didn't want to fight" and ran away from Penn when ever he tried to engage, this wont be the case with Diego.
How is Diego technically any better at striking than average, he misses over half the punches he throws, is not even remotely accurate and leaves his chin wide open and exposed. Diego is far from the most skilled fighter, he only has so many defenders because he is about to fight BJ. I remember when everyone would adamantly defend Stevenson, then he got forgotten, but Sherk was a monster and blah blah blah, forgotten, then it was KenFlo, noticing a pattern, Diego isn't a legitmate contender he is the flavor of the month for the BJ haters.




"If you get hit and it hurts hit him back you not knocked out yet."-Joe Doerksen
The Toxic Terrors (FFL)
Demetrious Johnson*Eduardo Dantas*Emanuel Newton*Will Brooks*Michael Page



Toxic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Light Heavyweight
 
Danm2501's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 3,337
                     
I don't think Sanchez will beat BJ Penn. With Penn as commited as ever, enjoying training and fighting and wanting to form a legacy I think he'll beat Diego fairly comfortably. However, I don't see how having immense mental strength which has allowed him to make the most of his abilities and become one of the best fighters in his division is a negative.

This mental strength has allowed him to rack up a seriously impressive 21-2 record in his MMA career, with his only 2 losses coming to top tier fighters in Josh Koscheck and Jon Fitch, and neither of those 2 guys could finish Diego. He's beaten Jorge Santiago, Kenny Florian, Nick Diaz, Karo Parisyan, Joe Riggs, Joe Stevenson and Clay Guida just to name a few. That's an impressive list of guys to defeat right there.

I honestly believe Sanchez offers BJ Penn a far greater challenge than Kenny Florian and Joe Stevenson, and I expect the fight to be a war. I see BJ coming out on top, fairly convincingly, but you never know what Diego's going to bring to the table, I'd certainly love to see him pull off a win. I like Diego Sanchez alot. YES!

Proudly Supporting
Dan Hardy
Conor McGregor
Joe Lauzon
Ronda Rousey
Chael Sonnen
Mark Hunt
Chris Weidman
Robbie Lawler
Danm2501 is offline  
post #23 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Flyweight
 
tap nap or snap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: barbados
Posts: 285
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
How is Diego technically any better at striking than average, he misses over half the punches he throws, is not even remotely accurate and leaves his chin wide open and exposed. Diego is far from the most skilled fighter, he only has so many defenders because he is about to fight BJ. I remember when everyone would adamantly defend Stevenson, then he got forgotten, but Sherk was a monster and blah blah blah, forgotten, then it was KenFlo, noticing a pattern, Diego isn't a legitmate contender he is the flavor of the month for the BJ haters.
I'd rep you if i could, I've noticed the pattern for a while, tbh penn is not always the most likable person, but you can't deny his skills, as someone else said it's been yrs since he's be beat at 155lbs.
once he stuck to the strength and conditioning program that he used for the last fight I see this going the way of all his other 155lb matches, he'll dominate. this doesn't take anything away from sanchez he's a good fighter.
I personally class BJ, GSP and A Sliva as on a level as to make great fighters look average, and it will take a decline, retirement or a fluke (gsp v matt) to dethrone them
tap nap or snap is offline  
post #24 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 09:13 AM
M_D
Homicidal Maniac
 
M_D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 6,187
Blog Entries: 1
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
How is Diego technically any better at striking than average, he misses over half the punches he throws, is not even remotely accurate and leaves his chin wide open and exposed. Diego is far from the most skilled fighter, he only has so many defenders because he is about to fight BJ. I remember when everyone would adamantly defend Stevenson, then he got forgotten, but Sherk was a monster and blah blah blah, forgotten, then it was KenFlo, noticing a pattern, Diego isn't a legitmate contender he is the flavor of the month for the BJ haters.
hey i still think stevenson is a super great fighter, sherk is a monster, and ken flow is devastating everywhere the fight goes now with that being said penn is my fighter so im glad he whoops everyone

honestly i like diego but his skills are not near bj's in any fascit of the fight



Over! 2,000,000 Views!

P4P Best Fighter
Angely Lane
M_D is offline  
post #25 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Flyweight
 
tlilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 223
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
How is Diego technically any better at striking than average, he misses over half the punches he throws, is not even remotely accurate and leaves his chin wide open and exposed. Diego is far from the most skilled fighter, he only has so many defenders because he is about to fight BJ. I remember when everyone would adamantly defend Stevenson, then he got forgotten, but Sherk was a monster and blah blah blah, forgotten, then it was KenFlo, noticing a pattern, Diego isn't a legitmate contender he is the flavor of the month for the BJ haters.
Yeah I agree, I think diego is a good fighter, but I think it takes a great fighter to beat BJ and i wouldn't put diego in that class. At least he hasn't done anything to show that he is capable of greatness imo. TBH, I think there are a lot of talent in the lw division but i havn't seen anyone do something that makes me believe they can be a great fighters. My definition of a great fighter is a fighter that comes a long every 5 - 10 years and impacts the sport in a way that others can't. Like a GSP, SIlva and Lyoto.

Last edited by tlilly; 12-09-2009 at 10:13 AM.
tlilly is offline  
post #26 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Curitiba Food and Liquor
 
swpthleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 16,176
Blog Entries: 14
                     
BJ's just trying to get into Diego's head, which is futile at this point.

Mental toughness + Diego's degree of aggressiveness (ie he just keeps coming at you, and coming at you till he KOs or submits you) will take him anywhere he wants to go.


Sig Credit to Toxic
swpthleg is offline  
post #27 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Manchester
Posts: 5,115
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
How is Diego technically any better at striking than average, he misses over half the punches he throws, is not even remotely accurate and leaves his chin wide open and exposed. Diego is far from the most skilled fighter, he only has so many defenders because he is about to fight BJ. I remember when everyone would adamantly defend Stevenson, then he got forgotten, but Sherk was a monster and blah blah blah, forgotten, then it was KenFlo, noticing a pattern, Diego isn't a legitmate contender he is the flavor of the month for the BJ haters.
Id like to see your stats for that. Diegos striking has improved greatly over time and id say he was a good striker. He seemed pretty accurate in the Guida fight with the brutal uppercuts and then the sick head kick, theres accuracy for ya. What about the likes of Wanderlei silva, would you call him a sloppy striker because he swings wildly and leaves his chin exposed? Also diego has an excellent chin.

You say Diego is far from the most skilled, id like to see who you think other than BJ is a highly skilled LW fighter, seeing as though your giving no credit to any of BJ's other contenders either. They are all very good fighters and id say Diego is at the top of the bunch. Just because BJ wins time and time again against these guys doesnt make them bad or not skilled fighters, its just that BJ is a level above the competition at LW. His black belt in BJJ which he earned after 3 years speaks for itself.

Diego will definitely put up a better fight than Florian, quote me on that.

Last edited by Mckeever; 12-09-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Mckeever is offline  
post #28 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Cheers.
 
vandalian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,341
                     
Guys Diego has beaten, such as Guida, Karo, Diaz, Stevenson -- those all seem like guys he should have beaten, in retrospect. Only the Karo fight was really considered an upset, but it doesn't really look like one anymore.

You could argue that some of them, such as Joe Daddy, had bad game plans, but you can't count that against Diego.

Diego did much more to earn a title fight at 155 pounds than Penn ever did. He fought two dangerous lightweights leading up to Saturday, while Penn only needed to choke out a fading, then-unranked Jens Pulver to get his shot.

But even in those two fights, I'd say Diego was the favourite. So it seems more like he's fulfilled promise than overachieved, really.
vandalian is offline  
post #29 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Flyweight
 
tlilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 223
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandalian View Post
Guys Diego has beaten, such as Guida, Karo, Diaz, Stevenson -- those all seem like guys he should have beaten, in retrospect. Only the Karo fight was really considered an upset, but it doesn't really look like one anymore.

You could argue that some of them, such as Joe Daddy, had bad game plans, but you can't count that against Diego.

Diego did much more to earn a title fight at 155 pounds than Penn ever did. He fought two dangerous lightweights leading up to Saturday, while Penn only needed to choke out a fading, then-unranked Jens Pulver to get his shot.

But even in those two fights, I'd say Diego was the favourite. So it seems more like he's fulfilled promise than overachieved, really.
exactly my point. If Diego were to beat bj, then he'd be an overachiever.
tlilly is offline  
post #30 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Lightweight
 
The Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East London, England
Posts: 1,912
                     
Hmmm, I don't know what to make of BJ Penn's statements. On the one hand he quite right - The mental aspect of Diego Sanchez is stronger than his skills. On the other hand, you could argue that in order to even be an MMA fighter you have to start by being a tenacious mofo. Therefore, that could be applied to anyone, including Penn.

Thing is though, Diego will have been the biggest and most unrelenting 155er he has faced in quite a long time. It's good for him that he is on underestimating Sancheza, but if it goes to the later rounds, Penn better be on his toes because that's when Sanchez is likely to be most dangerous.

I would agree with Toxic that his striking isn't amazing. I would say it's decent, but nothing to write home about. His wrestling is good and his BJJ is decent as well. All in all he is a pretty well rounded fighter but doesn't have any specific devasting technique that should bother Penn too much. In that respect he is sort of like a LW version of Forrest Griffin.

Why Do We Fall?
The Dark Knight is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome