I have noticed a lot of people actually supporting Diego Sanchez in his bout tonight with BJ Penn. Obviously, more are supporting the Prodigy but who could blame them? He is the #1 LW fighter in the world of MMA. He has not been beaten since his return to the UFC in the 155 pound weight class, and has looked dominating in his victories thus far.
It's a shame his title reign will end tonight. Why? A few reasons, and here I will go into detail.
I'll give my counter arguments to why you are wrong.
1. The only time BJ Penn has ever faced someone with intensity similar to Diego, he lost. Georges St. Pierre destroyed him. Look for Diego Sanchez to have a similar gameplan.
Comparing Diego to GSP is like comparing Forrest Griffin's striking to Anderson Silvas. We are talking apples and buicks here. Diego can be as hyper as he wants, but being hyper doesn't help you win a fight. If that is all it takes then Clay Guida would be the #1 fighter in the world.
2. Better standup - Don't hate, its true. BJ Penn has good standup, I'm not neglecting that, but I don't think it is as good as Diego's. He does not have as much power in his punches, and isn't as quick. Diego Sanchez throws FAST. If this fight stays standing, BJ Penn will lose.
While I will give you more diverse striking I believe BJ has more power than Diego. Did you see Sherk, Stevenson, and Florian's faces after the fight? They all were bloody pulps. While Diego does have good stand up he has not faced anyone with as technical striking as BJ.
3. Better wrestling - BJ Penn has world class BJJ, but his wrestling ability is not as good as Diego's either. The Nightmare has very good wrestling, and I understand he was outwrestled by Jon Fitch and Koscheck, but that was at 170 and has nothing to do with BJ Penn. Since stepping down to LW, Diego looks like a different fighter.
BJ out wrestled almost everyone at 170, and even those who have tried to take him down at 155. Only 2 people have ever really been able to take BJ down consistantly, if at all, GSP & Lyoto. Diego is neither of them, nor anywhere near them, and he hasn't exactly been using his wrestling much either. If Diego tries to take it to the ground then it will be hilarious to watch BJ standing on one foot punching him in the face as he has done to everyone else.
4. More heart - This is based on opinion only, but I have the right to my own opinion and it's just how I feel about the matter. Diego has expressed time and time again how badly he wants this win, and all BJ Penn can talk about is how he loves to fight. It's almost as if Diego Sanchez lives and breathes because of fighting, and BJ Penn does it for fun. I'm not saying doing it for fun is a bad thing either, I'm simply just comparing the two and basing my opinion on it.
This is pretty biased, but I can see your point. I think the big thing to notice is BJ doesn't like working, he would rather have fun. If he was as good as he was when he hated preparing for a fight imagine how much better he is now that he enjoys going to the gym every day.
5. Defense - Diego Sanchez has very good defense. To my knowledge he has never been finished in a fight. And you will say that he has never faced an opponent with the level of BJJ like he will against Penn, but HE HAS! If you can remember correctly, he faced Nick Diaz on TUF finale and WON THE FIGHT. Nick Diaz is on the SAME LEVEL as BJ Penn when it comes to submissions, you're ignorant if you disagree.
You are ignorant if you think Nick Diaz is the same level of BJJ as BJ. BJ has a natural flexibility that is next to impossible to duplicate in any form of training. BJ may be the best 155 BJJ in the world when he wants to be, he just usually uses his BJJ to protect himself and get himself back onto his feet, but we have seen what he can do when he uses it to go onto the attack. You are delirious if you think Diego is the more dangerous one on the ground.
Diego Sanchez will be BJ Penn's NIGHTMARE
P.S. Hope you enjoyed my reasoning, this was not intended to put down BJ Penn in any way, it's just my opinion on why I think he will lose the fight.
Hey, you can dream. I think if Diego wins this, and I think he has about a 20% chance to, (better than the 5% I gave Florian) he wins via decision. Diego is not going to finish BJ, but I can easily see BJ finishing Diego.