Choking on the hype - Page 4 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 01:55 PM
 
Toxic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: See that guy over in the window, with the binoculars?
Posts: 21,821
                     
BJ was very concerned early with defending the TD in the second fight because he knew that is what George wanted to do, I still think BJ is the better striker but GSP threatening with the take down forces his opponent to reserve a bit an not over commit.




"If you get hit and it hurts hit him back you not knocked out yet."-Joe Doerksen
The Toxic Terrors (FFL)
Demetrious Johnson*Eduardo Dantas*Emanuel Newton*Will Brooks*Michael Page



Toxic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 641
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
BJ was very concerned early with defending the TD in the second fight because he knew that is what George wanted to do, I still think BJ is the better striker but GSP threatening with the take down forces his opponent to reserve a bit an not over commit.
what you said makes gsp a more effective striker. technically speaking he is very sound. crisp technical kicks, long jab, and his superman variation combos are very technical.

daley is very technical but its his tight striking that is key, especially his left hook. he doesnt wing it wide like a liddell. its very tight to the body and the movement is short and quick. technically the best way to throw it. add that to the combonation of big hang and natural power and that makes daley a KO machine.

i said technical way too much in that post.
spaulding91 is offline  
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 03:47 PM
RFC
Flyweight
 
RFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 269
                     
I think Rogan was just riding the hype train during a card that was criticized heavily. He was building the fight as everyone knew it wasn't really a great co-main event. I think Daley is prob top striker in his class but def not mma.
RFC is offline  
post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 04:01 PM
You're Welcome.
 
Canadian Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Eh?
Posts: 7,723
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaulding91 View Post
what you said makes gsp a more effective striker.
Not to correct you, but it actually makes GSP the more effective mixed martial artist. A striker might merely rely on leg kicks and punches, whereas a well rounded mixed martial artist will use everything at his disposal, which St. Pierre does. And such is what throws his opponents completely for a loop. I happen to think that GSP is very technical when it comes to striking. I dare say he's right up there with the best, but even I'd be hesitant to give him the nod over Penn, and I'm notorious for hanging off of St. Pierre's nuts, lol.
Canadian Psycho is offline  
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Bantamweight
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 641
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Psycho View Post
Not to correct you, but it actually makes GSP the more effective mixed martial artist. A striker might merely rely on leg kicks and punches, whereas a well rounded mixed martial artist will use everything at his disposal, which St. Pierre does. And such is what throws his opponents completely for a loop. I happen to think that GSP is very technical when it comes to striking. I dare say he's right up there with the best, but even I'd be hesitant to give him the nod over Penn, and I'm notorious for hanging off of St. Pierre's nuts, lol.

i was strickly talking about his striking, but i completely agree with you. i actually believe gsp is the most well rounded mixed martial artist today.

as far as penn goes his boxing is the most technical is the mma in my opinion. he has some pretty nice knees but his kicks are not high level. although he did bust diegos head open with one.
spaulding91 is offline  
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 05:42 PM
ROCKET FISTS
 
khoveraki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,743
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
BJ was very concerned early with defending the TD in the second fight because he knew that is what George wanted to do, I still think BJ is the better striker but GSP threatening with the take down forces his opponent to reserve a bit an not over commit.
Ugh give me a break man, you're on this boat too?

"GSP's striking is only good because his take-downs are good, which are only good because he sets it up with his striking."


GSP's the best striker at WW and a better striker than GSP, he proved it. Why would BJ fear the take-down when he's great off his back and has one of the highest TDD rates in the game?

WAR CIGANO



sig credit to Limba

lobster train.
khoveraki is offline  
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,811
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoveraki View Post
Ugh give me a break man, you're on this boat too?

"GSP's striking is only good because his take-downs are good, which are only good because he sets it up with his striking."


GSP's the best striker at WW and a better striker than GSP, he proved it. Why would BJ fear the take-down when he's great off his back and has one of the highest TDD rates in the game?
Jup I agree! People should finally recognize that GSP is one of the best strikers Mixed Martial Arts has to offer. All the excuses he is only good because of his dangerous Take-downs should finite stop! It's pure hate and statements from BJ nuthugging
BobbyCooper is offline  
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 07:28 PM
"I <3 Trolls"
 
TraMaI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,923
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoveraki View Post
Ugh give me a break man, you're on this boat too?

"GSP's striking is only good because his take-downs are good, which are only good because he sets it up with his striking."


GSP's the best striker at WW and a better striker than GSP, he proved it. Why would BJ fear the take-down when he's great off his back and has one of the highest TDD rates in the game?
Wouldn't say GSP is the best striker, he's definitely up there don't get me wrong, but he's also contending againts the likes of Martin Kampmann, Daley (who is a damn good striker, just not "THE MOST TECHNICAL STRIKER IN MMA OMFG") and Thiago Alves, all of whom I'd rank over GSP in the striking department. Now, GSP does quite possibly have the most well rounded game in MMA which makes all of his skills seem like they're god like, where as strikers like Daley, Kamp and Alves have to worry about the takedown etc.
TraMaI is offline  
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Flyweight
 
jmacjer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 243
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraMaI View Post
Wouldn't say GSP is the best striker, he's definitely up there don't get me wrong, but he's also contending againts the likes of Martin Kampmann, Daley (who is a damn good striker, just not "THE MOST TECHNICAL STRIKER IN MMA OMFG") and Thiago Alves, all of whom I'd rank over GSP in the striking department. Now, GSP does quite possibly have the most well rounded game in MMA which makes all of his skills seem like they're god like, where as strikers like Daley, Kamp and Alves have to worry about the takedown etc.
Say it isn't so. I don't understand how people can rank Kampmann as a top tier striker. Joe always talks about Kampmann's world class striking as well. Don't get me wrong, I like Kampmann and always find myself cheering for him but I have yet to see this top notch striking game of his.

Last edited by jmacjer; 01-03-2010 at 10:58 PM.
jmacjer is offline  
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Lightweight
 
kc1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,627
                     
I'm not buying into any of the Daley hype.
His win over Kampmann was impressive, but I never really thought of Kampann as a powerful striker. He had a terrible gameplan for the fight.

Daley did just beat Hazelett. Uhmm..so?
He's not a top 10 WW. He has very good subs but horrible stand up.

I really want to see Daley fight Condit. I think his stand up is good enough to weather an early storm before taking it to the ground where Condit will have a HUGE advantage.

And if we really want to call Daley the best striker at WW, I want to see him fight Johnson or Alves.
kc1983 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome