wierd results and trends - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 73
                     
wierd results and trends

This is more for anyone who watches A LOT of ufc fights.
There are certain fights where the results freak me out. For example, my jaw dropped when i seen that Couture was awarded the win over Vera. I guess that's the main reason why i dont do any sports gambling.
Anyways, are there ever major fights (in the UFC specifically) when a decision win is awarded to the underdog when it seemed like the fight was super close? Hopefully you guys will discuss fights that happened in the last 6-7 years.

thanks

ag
ag8416 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 01:16 PM
<= MODERATOR=>
 
Xerxes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,224
                     
Youre asking a very good question sir.

I do believe that the betting odds (big favorite vs big underdog) and fighters status (champ vs challenger, contender vs gatekeeper) have somewhat of an influence over the judges scorecards. There are SO MANY examples to back up this point (especially lately).

You may find the exception to the rule (Rampage vs Forrest?) but most of the time, that's what I'm seeing tbqh.

Repped

Ps: you dont just see it in the UFC but in most if not all MMA orgs. Pride was far worse with the biased reffing and judging imo.
Xerxes is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 73
                     
so for rampage vs forest, rampage was considered the underdog by ODDS MAKERS?? I am not talking about "champ vs challenger" so much as odds makers decision. For example, odds makers still had machida as the favorite and evans as their underdog, so if their fight went to a decision (and for arugments sake lets say it was a close match), would the judges favor machida or evans or would there not be any favoritism. I guess a crap example would be vanderlei vs lidell. Anyone (besides helen keller and others in her circumstanses)knows that lidell didn't win ALL three rounds. However one judge gave him all three rounds. Keep in mind lidell was the favorite by odds makers.
ag8416 is offline  
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 01:58 PM
<= MODERATOR=>
 
Xerxes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,224
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag8416 View Post
so for rampage vs forest, rampage was considered the underdog by ODDS MAKERS?? I am not talking about "champ vs challenger" so much as odds makers decision.
Alright I see.

For the Rampage vs Forrest example I was rather talking from a champ vs challenger's pov. But Rampage was ALSO a very big betting favorite so the point still remains that that fight in particular could be viewed as 'an exception to the rule'.

Quote:
For example, odds makers still had machida as the favorite and evans as their underdog, so if their fight went to a decision (and for arugments sake lets say it was a close match), would the judges favor machida or evans or would there not be any favoritism.
Tbh I have no clue about this one. If I have to answer, Id say they would favor the champ Rashad (+ Machida wasn't that big of a favorite odds wise).

Quote:
I guess a crap example would be vanderlei vs lidell. Anyone (besides helen keller and others in her circumstanses)knows that lidell didn't win ALL three rounds. However one judge gave him all three rounds. Keep in mind lidell was the favorite by odds makers.
Just wondering, why are you only considering betting odds for your argument?

There are other factors that come into play imo and I listed some of them.
Xerxes is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 525
                     
The way I see it, the household name or the champ is gifted the decision as soon as the fight it signed. The less established challenger needs to come out and seriously impress to even squeek out the decision. Look at Shogun/Machida. Clearly Shogun won the fight, but wasn't convincing. Or he couldn't force Machida to deviate from his gameplan. I don't really agree with your views on the Vera/Couture fight. To be honest, I don't really remember the fight at all, I just know I can't stand Vera so I automatically agree with anyone that has a win of him.
munkie is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 02:33 PM
<= MODERATOR=>
 
Xerxes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,224
                     
Not to turn this into another 'Shogun vs Machida' or 'Shogunz got robbed!!1' thread but I do believe Lyoto being the defending champion, heavy odds favorite and his hype coming into the fight got him the nod on the judges scorecards.

When youre the heavy underdog, challenger, gatekeeper or a nobody, you have to do a lot more than your opponent to get the decision from the judges. If the fight is very close and 'could go either way' well, very often you'll end up being on the wrong side of a decision

Edit: Randy vs Vera is the same case. If Vera was the one with the big name.. he'd have gotten the decision imo.
Xerxes is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 02:36 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 525
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
When you're the heavy underdog, challenger, gatekeeper or a nobody, you have to do a lot more than your opponent to get the decision from the judges. If the fight is very close and 'could go either way' well, very often you'll end up being on the wrong side of a decision
That's pretty much what I was saying when I say, "The big name is gifted a decision upon signing the fight."
munkie is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 73
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post



Just wondering, why are you only considering betting odds for your argument?
because i was wondering if i should start betting money on fights; i dont want to put money on fights if a dude does great in a fight yet loses on the score cards due to "other" reasons
ag8416 is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 08:48 PM
-DayDay Knucks-
 
HitOrGetHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 19,903
Blog Entries: 13
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag8416 View Post
because i was wondering if i should start betting money on fights; i dont want to put money on fights if a dude does great in a fight yet loses on the score cards due to "other" reasons
You should have said that in your topic. It would have changed the responses from the get go.


-Always Supporting-
Urijah Faber - Dustin Poirier - Frankie Edgar - Demian Maia - Miesha Tate - Claudia Gadelha - Jessica Eye - Tecia Torres

Come watch me make a fool of myself on YouTube
HitOrGetHit is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 08:53 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,811
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag8416 View Post
because i was wondering if i should start betting money on fights; i dont want to put money on fights if a dude does great in a fight yet loses on the score cards due to "other" reasons
lol this will always be an issue in Sportsbetting. Just look at the recent Soccer scandal. Did it reached the MMA World yet? hope not!
BobbyCooper is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome