Daley: I'll never fight my mate Dan - Page 5 - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 01-14-2010, 05:40 PM   #41 (permalink)
Super Heavyweight
 
SpoKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, Or
Posts: 4,601
SpoKen Is Future HOF MaterialSpoKen Is Future HOF MaterialSpoKen Is Future HOF MaterialSpoKen Is Future HOF MaterialSpoKen Is Future HOF MaterialSpoKen Is Future HOF MaterialSpoKen Is Future HOF MaterialSpoKen Is Future HOF MaterialSpoKen Is Future HOF MaterialSpoKen Is Future HOF MaterialSpoKen Is Future HOF Material
Quote:
Originally Posted by +Shogun+ View Post
If my best friend and I were each offered 100k+ a piece to fight five five minute MMA rounds for a belt, we'd be more than happy to do it.
But you could get that same 100k for fighting other fighters. In the end it's just a belt, but mentally how do you train to hurt your best friend? Maybe it's just me..
__________________

Sweet sig by Life B EZ


I feel like I get paid way to much money, but not enough -Nick Diaz
SpoKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 01-14-2010, 06:20 PM   #42 (permalink)
Featherweight
 
Bob Pataki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,048
Bob Pataki is on another level nowBob Pataki is on another level nowBob Pataki is on another level nowBob Pataki is on another level nowBob Pataki is on another level nowBob Pataki is on another level nowBob Pataki is on another level nowBob Pataki is on another level nowBob Pataki is on another level nowBob Pataki is on another level nowBob Pataki is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogo View Post
It isn't that different. In football or hockey part of the game includes hitting your opponent hard enough to hurt them. In hockey fighting is still considered a strategic part to the game. A team losing a game will have one of their guys go out and pick a fight for no other reason than to "spark" the team. The guys who do that are often friends.

Matthew Barnaby and Rob Ray were on Off the Record fairly recently talking about what good friends they were and the fights (multiple) that they had in the NHL. Keith and Wayne Primeau were brothers (duh) and fought each other in the NHL.

Those guys recognize what some MMA fighters (and fans) don't: namely that if it is part of your job there is nothing personal in it and no reason not to do it or hold it against one another. Professionals understand that.
So because the odd NHL player has had some scraps with someone he knows, MMA fighters who are friends should fight in a cage or ring for 15 or 25 minutes?

It's completely different, the aim of the game is to hurt the other fighter enough to earn the victory. No one can argue that any sport other than other combat sports are even comparable because they are not.
Bob Pataki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #43 (permalink)
MMA Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 27
Stan Darsh will become famous soon enoughStan Darsh will become famous soon enoughStan Darsh will become famous soon enoughStan Darsh will become famous soon enoughStan Darsh will become famous soon enoughStan Darsh will become famous soon enough
if they dont want to fight why make them. Would turn into a boring as shit fight. And when this kinda stuff happens the two fighters may decide the outcome before the fight. Which would be terrible for the sport.
Stan Darsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:39 PM   #44 (permalink)
Lightweight
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,844
Drogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pataki View Post
So because the odd NHL player has had some scraps with someone he knows, MMA fighters who are friends should fight in a cage or ring for 15 or 25 minutes?
No, they should do it because it is their job. Not complicated. OMG, they're asking me to do something I do all the time and get paid for. How unreasonable! It is exactly comparable to other situations in other sports and people don't refuse in those situations because they have enough sense to realize how stupid that would be.
Drogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:59 PM   #45 (permalink)
Invictus Maneo
Image Hosting by Picoodle.com
 
TheGrizzlyBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 983
Blog Entries: 2
TheGrizzlyBear is on another level nowTheGrizzlyBear is on another level nowTheGrizzlyBear is on another level nowTheGrizzlyBear is on another level nowTheGrizzlyBear is on another level nowTheGrizzlyBear is on another level nowTheGrizzlyBear is on another level nowTheGrizzlyBear is on another level nowTheGrizzlyBear is on another level nowTheGrizzlyBear is on another level nowTheGrizzlyBear is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogo View Post
No, they should do it because it is their job. Not complicated. OMG, they're asking me to do something I do all the time and get paid for. How unreasonable! It is exactly comparable to other situations in other sports and people don't refuse in those situations because they have enough sense to realize how stupid that would be.


sorry you're wrong... How does a team prepare two fighters to fight each other? Like i said before, If you don't train and fight you have NO SAY ON THIS MATTER. Sure some people would fight a training partner no problem.. hell Joe and Dan Lauzon have said they would fight each other and they are brothers.

But for most fighters, your gym is like a 2nd home, your coaches and training partners are family and to have to fight each other would like it or not injure the relationship everyone has with each other.


Not to mention ya they get paid to fight its their job, but they arn't fighting GUYS FROM THEIR GYM...

Fans don't care obviously they just want to see good fights....
__________________
TheGrizzlyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:10 AM   #46 (permalink)
Amatuer
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 160
fightpragmatist is a jewel in the roughfightpragmatist is a jewel in the roughfightpragmatist is a jewel in the roughfightpragmatist is a jewel in the roughfightpragmatist is a jewel in the roughfightpragmatist is a jewel in the roughfightpragmatist is a jewel in the roughfightpragmatist is a jewel in the roughfightpragmatist is a jewel in the roughfightpragmatist is a jewel in the roughfightpragmatist is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420atalon View Post
Well at least we don't have to worry about this relationship getting in the way of future championship bouts.
This, unless one develops a ground game.
fightpragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:17 AM   #47 (permalink)
of Nazareth
 
Soojooko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Moon
Posts: 7,595
Soojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings SystemSoojooko Is Beyond A Rankings System
Its a horrible situation for fighter but I stick by what I said. When talking about the upper echelons of MMA competition, it doesn't pay for you to train with fighters who are similar rank and weight to you. I can completely understand that 99.9% of MMA fighters probably compete in smaller orgs all over the county/world and so avoiding each other is not so tricky. BUT, when we are talking about the UFC. When we are talking about 2 guys ranked in the top 10, with both guys only a win or two away from a shot... the situation is messy beyond repair.

If we consider all the champions and what a closed shop their training camps are. Sure, Penn ( for example ) trains with other LW's, but not the ones ranked top 5 or 10. Why would he do that?

Its a difficult argument I'm making, as it might sound like I'm belittling the quality of the MMA fighters who frequent this forum. I'm not. All of my arguments are geared towards the UFC belts and challengers. Its in that context that I make my argument... not MMA fighters in general.

If you are top ranked and have desires on a belt, then it makes no sense for you to form long term partnerships with other fighters who are in the same position as you regards rankings and weight. IF thats the situation you end up in, then I have no sympathy if the UFC refuses you a title shot. People keep bringing up money as the incentive. F*ck money. I'm talking about the UFC belts here.
Soojooko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:42 AM   #48 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
T.Bone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 567
T.Bone will become famous soon enoughT.Bone will become famous soon enoughT.Bone will become famous soon enoughT.Bone will become famous soon enoughT.Bone will become famous soon enoughT.Bone will become famous soon enoughT.Bone will become famous soon enoughT.Bone will become famous soon enoughT.Bone will become famous soon enoughT.Bone will become famous soon enoughT.Bone will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoken812 View Post
So your saying you would beat the living shit out of your best friend and give him a concussion for money? I couldn't do it.
They are highly paid proffesionals and they spar hard every day against each-other.

I used to spar with my friends all the time, which usually meant trying to punch them in the face, it didn't stop the fact that they were my friends.

If I was trying to establish myself as the greatest fighter on the planet and beating one of my friends was what it took for me to do it, then yeah I would fight one or all of my mates if necessary.
T.Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:13 AM   #49 (permalink)
Invictus Maneo
Image Hosting by Picoodle.com
 
TheGrizzlyBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 983
Blog Entries: 2
TheGrizzlyBear is on another level nowTheGrizzlyBear is on another level nowTheGrizzlyBear is on another level nowTheGrizzlyBear is on another level nowTheGrizzlyBear is on another level nowTheGrizzlyBear is on another level nowTheGrizzlyBear is on another level nowTheGrizzlyBear is on another level nowTheGrizzlyBear is on another level nowTheGrizzlyBear is on another level nowTheGrizzlyBear is on another level now
sparring is controlled though, no one is looking for the KO, and usually they arn't going 100% on power.
__________________
TheGrizzlyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:46 AM   #50 (permalink)
Lightweight
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,844
Drogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level nowDrogo is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrizzlyBear View Post
i said before, If you don't train and fight you have NO SAY ON THIS MATTER
LOLOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Lots of fighters, even close friends or brothers as you pointed out, are willing to fight each other. If you think that because you are close to some training partners that somehow makes it ok you're wrong and demonstrably so since lots (most) other fighters are willing to do their job.

If you can't understand something as simple as separation of job and friendship then don't go into MMA, period. There are lots of jobs where the issue won't come up, do one of those.
Drogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios