Carwin should be #1 contender - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos
UFC The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is a U.S.-based mixed martial arts organization, recognized as the largest MMA promotion in the world. The UFC is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada and is owned and operated by Zuffa, LLC. This promotion is responsible for solidifying the sport's postion in the history-books. UFC is currently undergoing a remarkable surge in popularity, along with greater mainstream media coverage. UFC programming can now be seen on FOX, FX, and FUEL TV in the United States, as well as in 35 other countries worldwide.

Reply

Old 01-23-2010, 10:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cork, Ireland
Posts: 498
beardsleybob is a splendid one to beholdbeardsleybob is a splendid one to beholdbeardsleybob is a splendid one to beholdbeardsleybob is a splendid one to beholdbeardsleybob is a splendid one to beholdbeardsleybob is a splendid one to beholdbeardsleybob is a splendid one to beholdbeardsleybob is a splendid one to beholdbeardsleybob is a splendid one to beholdbeardsleybob is a splendid one to beholdbeardsleybob is a splendid one to behold
Carwin should be #1 contender

Don't think I saw this discussed and maybe somebody could shed some light.

Is it just me or is Carwin getting screwed? He was booked twice to fight Lesnar before his hiatus. Yet then Dana comes up with this Interim title bullshit to appease Mir and make more money on fight cards. Mir doesn't deserve a title shot ffs. He got manhandled by Lesnar twice, whereas Carwin could hold his own against Lesnars power and strategy

Carwins getting the short end of the stick here
beardsleybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 01-23-2010, 11:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Middleweight
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Latvia
Posts: 2,876
Leed Is Destined For GreatnessLeed Is Destined For GreatnessLeed Is Destined For GreatnessLeed Is Destined For GreatnessLeed Is Destined For GreatnessLeed Is Destined For GreatnessLeed Is Destined For GreatnessLeed Is Destined For GreatnessLeed Is Destined For GreatnessLeed Is Destined For GreatnessLeed Is Destined For Greatness
Sure, he got screwed, but tbh, he needs this match.
He hasn't fought in more than a year and his last win was against who? Gonzaga?
Leed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Abusive
 
UrbanBounca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,805
UrbanBounca is on another level nowUrbanBounca is on another level nowUrbanBounca is on another level nowUrbanBounca is on another level nowUrbanBounca is on another level nowUrbanBounca is on another level nowUrbanBounca is on another level nowUrbanBounca is on another level nowUrbanBounca is on another level nowUrbanBounca is on another level nowUrbanBounca is on another level now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leed View Post
Sure, he got screwed, but tbh, he needs this match.
He hasn't fought in more than a year and his last win was against who? Gonzaga?
He takes out an unranked Gonzaga, and all the sudden, Carwin is in the running for a title shot. It's ******* unbelievable how much hype Carwin has drawn for no reason at all.
UrbanBounca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
ROCKET FISTS
 
khoveraki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,744
khoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renown
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanBounca View Post
He takes out an unranked Gonzaga, and all the sudden, Carwin is in the running for a title shot. It's ******* unbelievable how much hype Carwin has drawn for no reason at all.
It nearly rivals Valesquez' hype. Valesquez hasn't faced a top 10, his "big win" is a decision over Kongo - who has never fought for a title or even been a #2 contender. Then he gets one of the most absurd stoppages in MMA history over someone in their UFC debut and he gets slated to fight Nogueira?

And what happens next month or so when JDS takes out Gonzaga? How will they justify Carwin's title shot then?
__________________
WAR CIGANO



sig credit to Limba

lobster train.
khoveraki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
The Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 412
The Legacy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Legacy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Legacy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Legacy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Legacy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Legacy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Legacy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Legacy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Legacy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Legacy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Legacy has a spectacular aura about
I completely disagree.

Carwin was booked to fight Brock originally because of the lack of real contenders in the heavyweight division. At the time he was coming off an impressive Gonzaga win and he had finished all of his fights in a couple of minutes. It sort of made sense to have Carwin as the next contender because Mir had just been whopped, Cain was too young, Big Nog and Couture were going against each other and JDS hadn't broken through like he has now.

But the illness that forced Brock to take time away from the cage was huge. Now all the other fighters in the division have moved a step up and Carwin has stayed in the same place, and that win against Gonzaga looks less credible with every month that passes. UFC 96 was a long, long time ago now.

It sucks for Carwin that he had his chance and now he has to win to get it again, but really, how many MMA fans would be happy to see Carwin getting a title shot from beating a gatekeeper nearly a year ago?

Going up against Frank Mir is a massive step up for him and personally I think he's going to lose.

How can you say that Carwin deserves a title shot right now over Cain or JDS?

Also, would you rather have this Carwin vs. Mir fight in the meantime or have Carwin shelved until at least May until Brock comes back? 14 months out of the game isn't good for a fighter with an 11-0 record who still needs to polish his game.
__________________
Favourite Fighters:

Dan Hardy
Paul Daley
Georges St-Pierre
Nick Diaz
Cain Velasquez
Frank Mir
Demian Maia
All the British MMA guys
And... Fedor!
The Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
WEC For Life
 
HitOrGetHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,862
Blog Entries: 13
HitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the system
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legacy View Post
I completely disagree.

Carwin was booked to fight Brock originally because of the lack of real contenders in the heavyweight division. At the time he was coming off an impressive Gonzaga win and he had finished all of his fights in a couple of minutes. It sort of made sense to have Carwin as the next contender because Mir had just been whopped, Cain was too young, Big Nog and Couture were going against each other and JDS hadn't broken through like he has now.

But the illness that forced Brock to take time away from the cage was huge. Now all the other fighters in the division have moved a step up and Carwin has stayed in the same place, and that win against Gonzaga looks less credible with every month that passes. UFC 96 was a long, long time ago now.

It sucks for Carwin that he had his chance and now he has to win to get it again, but really, how many MMA fans would be happy to see Carwin getting a title shot from beating a gatekeeper nearly a year ago?

Going up against Frank Mir is a massive step up for him and personally I think he's going to lose.

How can you say that Carwin deserves a title shot right now over Cain or JDS?

Also, would you rather have this Carwin vs. Mir fight in the meantime or have Carwin shelved until at least May until Brock comes back? 14 months out of the game isn't good for a fighter with an 11-0 record who still needs to polish his game.
Carwin was booked to fight Cain for the #1 contender spot. Then Carwin kept hyping himself up for a Lesnar fight and they scrapped the Carwin/Cain bout for a Carwin/Lesnar bout. That wasn't lack of competition because Carwin hasn't really fought much competition. Velasquez would have been Carwin's top fight for sure. So I think that if anyone was screwed, it was Velasquez. He was supposed to fight for a title shot but was given Rothwell instead...

Carwin should figh Mir first. Mir is above and beyond the best figher that Carwin will have faced. He sure hasn't fought any good opponents outside of Gonzaga. (Who was winning that fight until Carwin caught him)
__________________

The 2014 Hit Squad (FFL)
Eddie Alvarez - Junior Dos Santos - Patricio Freire - Jessica Eye - Pat Curran
HitOrGetHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Bantamweight
 
Toroian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 816
Toroian is a jewel in the roughToroian is a jewel in the roughToroian is a jewel in the roughToroian is a jewel in the roughToroian is a jewel in the roughToroian is a jewel in the roughToroian is a jewel in the roughToroian is a jewel in the roughToroian is a jewel in the roughToroian is a jewel in the roughToroian is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legacy View Post
I completely disagree.

Carwin was booked to fight Brock originally because of the lack of real contenders in the heavyweight division. At the time he was coming off an impressive Gonzaga win and he had finished all of his fights in a couple of minutes. It sort of made sense to have Carwin as the next contender because Mir had just been whopped, Cain was too young, Big Nog and Couture were going against each other and JDS hadn't broken through like he has now.

But the illness that forced Brock to take time away from the cage was huge. Now all the other fighters in the division have moved a step up and Carwin has stayed in the same place, and that win against Gonzaga looks less credible with every month that passes. UFC 96 was a long, long time ago now.

It sucks for Carwin that he had his chance and now he has to win to get it again, but really, how many MMA fans would be happy to see Carwin getting a title shot from beating a gatekeeper nearly a year ago?

Going up against Frank Mir is a massive step up for him and personally I think he's going to lose.

How can you say that Carwin deserves a title shot right now over Cain or JDS?

Also, would you rather have this Carwin vs. Mir fight in the meantime or have Carwin shelved until at least May until Brock comes back? 14 months out of the game isn't good for a fighter with an 11-0 record who still needs to polish his game.
<<< This guy is right

And i also think that JDS, Cain and Carwin are all been hyped up too much by the UFC as the UFC knows 1 should turn out to be good! and hype up they own HW divsion over DREAMS and strike forces
Toroian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Flyweight
 
The Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 412
The Legacy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Legacy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Legacy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Legacy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Legacy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Legacy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Legacy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Legacy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Legacy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Legacy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Legacy has a spectacular aura about
Ah yes, I remember now. But Carwin/Cain was broken up because Brock didn't have anybody else to fight after demolishing Mir, correct?

So Carwin went from a step up in competition and fighting Cain, to getting a title shot.

So he hasn't been screwed, he got lucky, then unlucky. If he really deserves a shot he'll prove it to us all when he goes up against Mir.
__________________
Favourite Fighters:

Dan Hardy
Paul Daley
Georges St-Pierre
Nick Diaz
Cain Velasquez
Frank Mir
Demian Maia
All the British MMA guys
And... Fedor!
The Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
WEC For Life
 
HitOrGetHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,862
Blog Entries: 13
HitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the systemHitOrGetHit has cheated the system
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legacy View Post
Ah yes, I remember now. But Carwin/Cain was broken up because Brock didn't have anybody else to fight after demolishing Mir, correct?

So Carwin went from a step up in competition and fighting Cain, to getting a title shot.

So he hasn't been screwed, he got lucky, then unlucky. If he really deserves a shot he'll prove it to us all when he goes up against Mir.
He wasn't screwed anymore than Cain was is what I am saying. They were both in line for a title, and then the fights started getting scrapped. But for some reason Carwin is still gettng the better end of the deal. It's because the fans wanted Carwin due to his KO power so the UFC made a business decision. Can't really get mad at them for that.

But back on topic, I stand by my previous post in saying that Carwin has done nothing to show me that he should be a top contender, let alone the #1 contender.
__________________

The 2014 Hit Squad (FFL)
Eddie Alvarez - Junior Dos Santos - Patricio Freire - Jessica Eye - Pat Curran
HitOrGetHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
ROCKET FISTS
 
khoveraki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,744
khoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renownkhoveraki Is World Renown
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitOrGetHit View Post
Carwin was booked to fight Cain for the #1 contender spot. Then Carwin kept hyping himself up for a Lesnar fight and they scrapped the Carwin/Cain bout for a Carwin/Lesnar bout. That wasn't lack of competition because Carwin hasn't really fought much competition. Velasquez would have been Carwin's top fight for sure. So I think that if anyone was screwed, it was Velasquez. He was supposed to fight for a title shot but was given Rothwell instead...

Carwin should figh Mir first. Mir is above and beyond the best figher that Carwin will have faced. He sure hasn't fought any good opponents outside of Gonzaga. (Who was winning that fight until Carwin caught him)
Gonzaga has fought for the UFC HW title before, even if Carwin beat Valesquez Gonzaga would still be his biggest win.

Valesquez matches up poorly with Carwin and I think most of us would assume that fight would end in a KO from Shane. Back when the fight was scheduled that was the pretty unanimous decision. I think it'd be in the UFC's best interest to put Valesquez up against a few better matchups first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toroian View Post
<<< This guy is right

And i also think that JDS, Cain and Carwin are all been hyped up too much by the UFC as the UFC knows 1 should turn out to be good! and hype up they own HW divsion over DREAMS and strike forces
JDS stopped Werdum in minutes when Werdum was one win away from a title shot. He finished Cro Cop, KO'd Struve (who is otherwise undefeated in the UFC and was on a 5 fight win streak) in a minute, and KO'd Yvel in two minutes - Yvel has 30+ KOs on his record and had just recently beat Pedro Rizzo and had a competitive fight against Barnett (who was ranked #2 HW at the time). So... disagreed about JDS being too hyped.
__________________
WAR CIGANO



sig credit to Limba

lobster train.
khoveraki is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Powered by vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios