Ugh there was 25 of us taking a train from Toronto for the weekend to see this, what happened? anyone know? DAMN IT.
UFC calls off planned April card in Montreal, still hopes to come to Canada
LAS VEGAS (CP) - A UFC card planned for April in Montreal has been called off, according to UFC president Dana White.
White had told reporters earlier this month in San Diego that the mixed martial arts circuit would make its Canadian debut at the Bell Center on April 7 with Montreal native and newly crowned welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre taking on former title-holder Matt Hughes in a 170-pound rubber match.
On Thursday, White said the Montreal card was off.
"Fell apart, unfortunately," White said. "There were a lot of different things that made that fight fall apart.
"I'm trying to regroup right now and figure out when we go to Canada."
He said the UFC still hopes to get to Canada in 2007. But it also has it eyes set on England and Mexico, in addition to a full U.S. schedule.
Montreal remains the likeliest Canadian destination. St. Pierre would be a good draw there and mixed martial arts is not sanctioned in Ontario.
White, meanwhile, confirmed Hughes will fight in March in Ohio, although no opponent has been chosen as of yet.
The Ohio card, believed to be destined for Columbus, is expected to be UFC 67 and showcase former middleweight champion Rich Franklin. The Cincinnati native is looking to return to the ring after losing his 185-pound title to Brazil's Anderson Silva in October.
St. Pierre stripped Hughes of his championship belt in dominant fashion Nov. 18 in Sacramento, scoring a second-round technical knockout to avenge a submission loss to the American in October 2004.
The 25-year-old St. Pierre is set to make his first title defence in Las Vegas on Feb. 3 against Matt Serra, the winner of Season 4 of The Ultimate Fighter reality TV show.